TT vs LBL?

lolawynne
on 4/18/14 4:17 pm
VSG on 09/25/12

I am planning to have either an extended TT or a lower body lift done in the fall, in addition to a breast lift. I've seen three surgeons for consultations: 1. fully recommended a LBL for me, the second said there was no need in my case and recommended the TT and the third said extended (table to table) TT, but could see some benefit to the LBL if that's what I wanted. Her thought was that I would be happiest with the extended TT and breast lift, that was her "official" recommendation. For what it's worth, she's the surgeon I liked best overall and plan to use.

I'm confused! I don't carry a lot of weight/skin on my back, a LBL wasn't a consideration before going to these consultations. But of course I want the best outcome and results, so I'm struggling. I like the idea of the extended TT, but worry I'll regret not doing all the way around.

I'm hoping for some thoughts or experiences with these two surgeries, maybe how others here have made this decision.

thanks!

HW: 280 SW: 243        
Laura in Texas
on 4/19/14 10:30 pm

If you are afraid of losing your butt, do the extended tt. The lbl can flatten your butt. It would have flattened mine, but I had buttock auto-augmentation when I got my lbl. I had a lot of excess skin on my backside and needed to get rid of it.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

emelar
on 4/20/14 5:51 am - TX

I've seen some extended tummy tucks where they've gone so far around, I wondered why they didn't just complete the circle and do the butt lift.  Really, it all depends on what you want.  If you're ok with your butt, leave it alone.  You'll have the risk of dogears with either the extended or regular tummy tuck, which can be fixed.  I'd just get a clear idea of your doc's position on revisions - how long she'll make you wait and what costs you'll have to pick up.

On the butt flattening, I had the lower body lift and looked like an ironing board - had totally lost my ass.  But when the swelling went down, my butt reappeared.  

MyBariatricLife
on 4/20/14 1:41 pm, edited 4/20/14 1:42 pm

I had a tummy tuck.  Then six months later I had it converted to an LBL because there seemed to be a mismatch between my front, which looked very young after the TT, and my back, which looked rather old. My backside is definitely improved but do not think you will end up with a hot ass like the girls who get BBLs. It is possible that you do, just don't set your expectations that high. 

I did loose some projection after my butt lift but everything is tighter and smoother and no cellulite. 

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 4/21/14 11:18 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

I opted for the LBL even though first consult with my PS said that I really didn't need the all around thing and could have gone for a TT but I am happy that I did. I got some nice results on the outer thighs and the butt really isn't flat at all. Don't know how he did that but he did. It looks like my normal butt. And the tummy part is fabulously flat. I have some pictures in my profile that you could have a look at. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

lolawynne
on 4/22/14 4:28 pm
VSG on 09/25/12

Thanks for the thoughts and wow, Julia, your pictures are amazing, you look fantastic!

I'm leaning towards the LBL, which does mean giving up the breast lift this time around, since I can't afford to do it all at once. That's ok...if I'm being really honest with myself, my midsection is by far my most important area and I want to do it once and do it right.

one more question. One surgeon told me that she wouldn't be able to get the stomach as tight in an LBL as she would in a TT, since she couldn't put as much pressure on my back with an incision back there too. Any idea if this is a real concern or something to consider in making this decision?

HW: 280 SW: 243        
emelar
on 4/22/14 10:42 pm - TX

My doc said the exact opposite - he gets better results with theLBL because he can pull all the way around. And there's no risk of dog ears. Both procedures (butt and tummy) are pull up and cut. Tension is in the same direction. 

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/14 8:28 am

I sit down with my patients and discuss what bothers them the most. If there isn't a problem with the area, then it makes sense not to do it for the recovery and possibility of problems may be greater.

Most Active