Anchor TT Versus Non Achor TT..

M C.
on 3/21/14 3:33 am, edited 3/21/14 3:38 am

If you had just the abdominplasty instead for the full "anchor" type surgery, do you regret it? My surgeon says I could get a better job with the anchor one but the plain tummy tuck with lipo I would like also.

The reason I'm asking is I want to get a breast lift at the same time and surgeon won't do the anchor at same time as breast but he'll do the tt at same time. It's because of the length of time the anchor takes.

Can you give me your thoughts, insight?

I'm 5'5", 148 lbs - highest weight was 271. I've got quite the panni!

emelar
on 3/21/14 4:59 am - TX

I have similar stats to yours, except my highest weight was 310ish.  The three surgeons I consulted all recommended the regular tuck BUT (big BUT) I think it really depends on how your excess skin is distributed.  My belly was big, but round like an egg.  I've seen pictures of others who had rolls of skin above and below their belly button.  If you have rolls, or you carried a lot of weight above your belly button, the anchor is probably the way to go.

I strongly recommend you consult with more than one surgeon, if only to confirm your options.  I know the consults are no great fun, but they're important in making an informed decision.

M C.
on 3/21/14 6:34 am

Thanks for your input!  Did you have the surgery?  Did you like the outcome?

emelar
on 3/21/14 7:15 am - TX

I ended up getting the full lower body lift/circumferential body lift/belt lipectomy (different surgeons call it different things).  It's a combo of full abdominoplasty, mons lift, outer thigh lift, and butt lift - pretty much an incision all the way around taking all the excess skin off, and relocating the belly button and tightening ab muscles.  It was a hard recovery due to the muscle repair and the swelling, but the final results are great - and no muffin top!

MyBariatricLife
on 3/22/14 11:25 am, edited 3/22/14 11:25 am

My tummy was huge and roly poly. I had a regular tummy tuck and I am very flat and tight. I would not want that scar down the front of my body. My waist is thick and I wonder if the anchor cut would have made a major difference or not since it pulls the horizontal vector. Just something to take into consideration as you arrive at your decision. 

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

M C.
on 3/22/14 1:14 pm

Thanks for your info.  I do remember the surgeon saying that the anchor cut would give me more of an hourglass shape since my hips are narrow.  I think I might be able to live without the hourglass?  Maybe?

MyBariatricLife
on 3/22/14 1:24 pm, edited 3/22/14 1:24 pm

Well, if you find that you cannot, then you can always get a revision to the anchor cut. If it were me, I would need to know how much of an hour glass I would get with the anchor cut versus what I would look like without the extra cut. Basically is the trade off of a very visible scar worth the figure you will achieve? It is a very personal decision. Some women say yes, and some say no. I even considered a vertical torsoplasty as my excess tissue is in my sides but really in the back of my body not the front. My surgeon, Dr. Capella, said NO WAY would he even consider doing that procedure on me because the small difference would not be worth the scars. He does that procedure on a handful of patients but he does not do the anchor cut on anyone owing to the scar it creates.

I have small hips, too.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

trishy
on 3/23/14 9:17 pm, edited 3/23/14 9:18 pm

I had the full anchor TT and unless you desperately feel you need it I would not recommend it.  If you do not scar bad well that is one thing... But I do scar badly and I have had revisions on my scar and more steriod injections than I can count and the scar is always going to be there.  I am currently looking at getting laser treatment for the scarring. But it will always be there.  If I had to do it over again, I would definitely choose the regular extended tummy tuck.  Yes I have more of a curvature but who cares about the curve when you cant show off your cute tummy in a bikini because the scar is so bad.

My Breast lift/augmentation left no scars.  No nipple scars and one tiny faint scar underneath one breast but only vaguely noticeable.

Good luck!! :)

Revision Band to Sleeve scheduled 10/29

Kim S.
on 3/25/14 3:13 am - Helena, AL

I had the LBL and BL on the same day.  My surgeon had recommended the anchor IF I wanted a perfectly flat upper stomach....I didn't want the scar.  I'm very happy with my results and can wear a two piece swim suit.  I still have a bit of skin on the upper stomach, but I'd rather that than the scar.  That was just personal preference for me..........

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/14 2:36 am

I agree that the anchor breast uplift can sometimes interfere with the blood supply of the TT. But, there are different types of mastopexy that can be done that obviate this. Also, with adding an implant for more fullness, the amount of uplift needed is reduced and so are the length of the scars.

Most Active