Draining still TT day 32?

Cheryle
on 3/17/14 1:14 am - VA

Okay friends I am on day 32 and still draining about35/40 cc in 12 hours. Swelling also. in recent days swelling is even higher on my torso.  What can I look for Regarding the light at the end of the tunnel? I asked dr if there was anything I could do. He said rest patience.    Any comments suggestions? 

emelar
on 3/17/14 3:11 am - TX

The swelling is common.  They call it "swell hell" for a very good reason, and it sounds like you're right in the middle of it. 

On the drains, can't help you.  It is a long time to have them in, but if they're still putting out that much fluid, they need to stay.   I had 4 from my LBL and the last two came out right at the 3 week mark, so I feel your pain.  Your body can only absorb so much fluid on it's own.  Take the drains out too soon, and you risk seromas.  If you haven't already, seriously increase your protein intake to help with healing.  And drink - a lot!

Mell
on 3/17/14 5:34 am

I had mine for 20 and decided he just needed to take them out. I felt like I was going to fill up those bulbs if they were available. So he did and said I might have to be poked with a needle if I showed signs of retention, I did and he tried but nothing came out it all settled and I was fine. As him about it and see what options you have.

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

DrL
on 3/19/14 1:07 am - Houston, TX
Its unusual to leave drains in that long. My practice is to take them all out by day 10 and check for fluid collections. I do an ultrasound in the office on everybody and found that very few patients ever develop fluid collections (a.k.a seroma). I think the presence of the tubes can actually CAUSE fluid to be produced, and they are an infection risk too. So hopefully you can have those removed soon and get on with your recovery.
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Cheryle
on 3/19/14 2:43 am - VA

Dear dr.  My surgeon said  that the fluid collected needs to be less than 30 cc in 24 hours for 2 days or ELSE the risk of a seroma is greater.  -so I guess it's a matter of opinion.  I let it go for a full 24 hours yesterday it was 60 cc so still TWICE to much per his recommendation.   Tomorrow marks 5 weeks since surgery.  Also I should mention I had a large removal 17 pounds and a fluer de whatever both  horizontal and vertical. 

Thanks for your input.  

Most Active