Post surgery sizes/clothing--QUESTION

PetHairMagnet
on 1/27/14 10:20 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I read a lot of posts that say people couldn't wear their clothes for a few months and went up a size or two after surgery until the swelling subsided. 

Right now I am 22 lbs from goal and in a size 10 (some 12s) and when I move into 8s (some 10s) I'll dump all my 12s at Dress for Success or a consignment sale. My question is...should I put them in our guest room closet and wait until surgery so I'll have a wardrobe post-op? Or should I save the next size down or what? And did you wear looser items or fitted clothes that were in a larger size? I wear very fitted styles now. 

If it helps--I am considering augmentation, brachioplasty (still on the fence for that) and a tummy tuck. Not sure if I will do skin only or also do the muscle tightening. Nothing with my thighs or butt. 

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE for your input! :)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

katier825
on 1/27/14 10:53 am

I'd hang onto them.  You will likely have a lot of swelling. 

I had a LBL on 12/5 and was so swollen I couldn't comfortably fit into my work clothes for about 5-6 weeks (went back at 4 weeks), even though I was down 15 lbs from the morning of surgery.  I lived in PJs and yoga pants the first 3 weeks.  Had to buy a couple of things to fit when I went back to work because I needed the looser to be comfy.  I couldn't stand the feel of seams any near my incisions, so jeans and some of my pants were pretty uncomfortable.  The swelling is going down now and the pants that were too tight are now too big.  I still swell a lot, especially at the end of the day.  I expect once the swelling goes away (can take a year or so for it to totally go away for some people), I will probably be down another size or two.  I've been wearing loose tops or knits, because they are more comfortable, but I am also noticing that they are getting more roomy than they had been.

Dresses and skirts would be a more flexible option, but I have had to wear an ankle brace and it just doesn't look nice with dresses, so I've stuck to pants.

Laura in Texas
on 1/27/14 10:33 pm

My waist swelled up 4 inches immediately post-op. 3 of those were gone by the end of the first month. When all was said and done I was still wearing the same size I was wearing pre-plastics.

Keep some bigger clothes, then ditch them post-plastics. I lived in yoga pants while I was recovering and wore dresses if I had to wear regular clothes. I did not like the feel of pants across my mid-section while I was healing.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

PetHairMagnet
on 1/28/14 12:46 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Thanks ladies--very helpful! :)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Mell
on 1/28/14 1:40 am

I went to Walmart and bought dresses, this way they were comfortable, hid my drains, I could wear them with flats for work or flip flops for home, and dress them up as needed. Good luck!

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

wls2011
on 1/31/14 2:07 am - Ballston Lake, NY

I would say get rid of the larger fitted sizes, u dont need them. I found my shape was very different post op. I am almost 8 months out, still sensitive on scar line. Still swelling some at night. I wore yoga pants and mumu dresses a lot. Just got a size up mediums, anything stretchy. I still am not in jeans, but i did gain 10 lbs during recovery. Still in mediums and 8's, about a size bigger than pre plastics. 

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/31/14 10:57 am - OH

Yep, either save some of the larger pants (tops shouldn't be an issue, even if you have brachioplasty) or buy some things in perhaps size 10 that are less fitted or softer fabrics.  I had swelling in both my belly and my thighs (more in my thighs than my belly, strangely) for a couple of months and having some looser clothes was extremely helpful.  

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Jane B.
on 2/3/14 3:31 am - Strathmore, Canada
VSG on 01/11/12 with

I am 5 months post tummy tuck.  I gained about 10 lbs. while recovering.  I don't get it.  The surgeon cut out 8 lbs. of tissue.  Anyway, I still swell by late afternoon.  Not sure when that will stop.

HW: 243 SW:228 GW:160
"I want to really live, not just be putting in time"    

Most Active