Almost 5 months out and still swelling and weight still up

Jane B.
on 1/27/14 3:32 am - Strathmore, Canada
VSG on 01/11/12 with

How can it be?  I went in for a tummy tuck (anchor cut) on September 3rd.  I came out of that surgery having had 8 lbs removed, but even a month later, my weight was 4 lbs higher than what I went in weighing.  I am up another 4-5 lbs sometimes, but will go up and down, but have never been back to where I was pre-op tummy tuck.  Has this happened to anyone?  How about swelling, when it finally stops, do you lose weight?  I am really frustrated because I feel like having spent the money to get this done, I shouldn't be dealing with this weight increase.  My clothes still fit about the same  They were a little bigger after the surgery, but now they fit just about right.  My tummy is quite flat which is awesome in itself, but I would like to hear if others experienced the weight being up for this long and if it ever came off.

Thanks.

Jane

HW: 243 SW:228 GW:160
"I want to really live, not just be putting in time"    

Mell
on 1/27/14 5:06 am

I had an anchor cut July 24th and it took me nearly 3 and a half months to even fit into my old clothes then slowly it got better, and probably at month 5 I was back down to my weight before I had surgery. They cut 10lbs off! I was so frustrated!!! But as time goes on it got better, there are still times I feel "fat" and have some swelling but I just pull up my pictures the surgeon took before surgery and remind myself how bad I was. Good luck

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

Crazeru
on 1/27/14 7:54 am

Swelling can last a year or longer.  It does take time for the body to heal and they fluid build up to disappear.  I couldn't get into my jeans for 3+ months.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

DrL
on 1/28/14 6:13 am - Houston, TX

Hi. "Swell Hell" can go on for many months, and the scale may drop some when you lose that fluid. Also, even though I have removed 10lbs of skin for instance, the scale never seems to reflect that even in patients who do not swell too much. Strange but true. Try and be patient, and also remember that the result is judged in the mirror, not necessarily on the scale !  View your before and after photos and you'll feel better !

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
wls2011
on 2/8/14 5:33 am - Ballston Lake, NY

I am 8 months out and still up about 9 lbs. I am exercising, dieting, the scale is stuck.  I still swell up but I think I gained body fat also due to slow recovery and lack of activity. I can fit into clothes pre surgery now but they are tight. I am going to find out if any revisions can be done to improve my results.

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

Most Active