Seroma

HolliBeth1
on 1/1/14 7:38 am - Millbrook, AL

Hey Everyone! I am a little 7 years out. I just had my this round of plastic surgery: arms & butt lift. I had it December 18th. I now have a seroma on my hip. I am headed to the doctor tomorrow. I just wanted any suggestions, advice, anything???

Thanks in advance!!

Highest~ 267/ Surgery~ 253/Current~133/ GOAL 130
August 31, 2006 ~ Gastric Bypass~December 19, 2008 ~Tuck with muscle repair~December 16, 2009 ~ Tummy Tuck revision (loosened skin as a result of stretch marks), Mons reduction, Mini Inner Thigh Lift, BL/BA to Full C from AA :)~December 18, 2013 ~ Butt Lift and brachioplasty~Completed by Dr. Wang-Ashraf at Artisan Plastic Surgery in Atlanta, Georgia.
"No day, but today", RENT...Johnathan Larson

godzilla
on 1/1/14 10:25 am - Israel
I'm sorry to say that I have no words of advice to offer as my complications were different, but as I woke to go pee (04:23 here and hoping to go back to sleep!), and I sleep with my iPhone, I thought I would just type something so you won't feel as alone.
Best of luck at the surgeon that this seroma can be dealt with easily and quickly!
Mikimi in Israel
HolliBeth1
on 1/1/14 8:31 pm - Millbrook, AL

Aww...thank you! I appreciate that tremendously!

August 31, 2006 ~ Gastric Bypass~December 19, 2008 ~Tuck with muscle repair~December 16, 2009 ~ Tummy Tuck revision (loosened skin as a result of stretch marks), Mons reduction, Mini Inner Thigh Lift, BL/BA to Full C from AA :)~December 18, 2013 ~ Butt Lift and brachioplasty~Completed by Dr. Wang-Ashraf at Artisan Plastic Surgery in Atlanta, Georgia.

Iam_with_the_Band
on 1/1/14 1:13 pm

Seromas are very common with plastic surgery.  Most will resolve on their own.  I had one after my brachioplasty and one after my long thigh lift.  My PCP consulted with a plastic surgeon in his office and they agreed it was best to not aspirate it since it was smaller than a ping pong ball.  It did resolve on it's own.  Sometimes aspirating it can cause an infection to start and other times, you can aspirate it and it fluid returns several times requiring more aspirations.  Your doctor can assess it and decide what is best.  It's very common and not serious.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

HolliBeth1
on 1/1/14 8:33 pm - Millbrook, AL

Thank you so much for your reply! That's great to hear! Mine appears to be the size of my palm. I'm just not sure what to do: do I Need to walk, to I Ned to sit around with my feet elevated? I would like to assist this in going away naturally!

Iam_with_the_Band
on 1/1/14 8:42 pm

many times seromas appear for no reason, other times they appear from over activity post op. Rest is a good thing and we should do it. Some doctors suggest extra compression over the seroma. I did add a wash cloth under my garment to help my thigh seroma. 

ChangingNow
on 1/1/14 11:26 pm, edited 1/1/14 11:28 pm - OH

I had a small seroma along my thigh lift incision.  It was smaller than the size of a golf ball.  It showed up a month+ post op and slowly left on its own a couple of months later.  I did nothing special.

Of course ask your PS for advice, but I would say keep up walking as your post op instructions likely require.

VSG on 05/03/2011, SW 255, CW 140, 5'6" female
Body by Sauceda on 11/30/2012, LBL, BL/BA, long thighs, arms, neck

HolliBeth1
on 1/2/14 9:25 pm - Millbrook, AL

Thank you everyone! I went to doctor yesterday. She aspirated 150 cc out of my right hip & it feels sooooo much better!! I go back next week for a follow-up. I am wearing spanex right now and will go walking later today. We will see how it goes.

Iam_with_the_Band
on 1/3/14 4:01 pm

I added extra compression to the area of my seroma, by adding a clean wash clothe.  Sometimes the fluid returns.  Too much activity will increase your chance of the fluid returning.  I was told that by a plastic surgeon.

HolliBeth1
on 1/3/14 8:48 pm - Millbrook, AL

Well....I walked 3 miles & did some light shopping: Target & CVS, picked up some Korean food returned home.....and BAM....it's BACK. We leave for Puerto Rico in 27 days...I'm nervous that it won't be gone.

Most Active