Loss of nipple sensation?

Steps78
on 12/26/13 3:53 pm

This may be a silly question but do women lose all nipple sensation when having a breast lift and augmentation? I'm not actually sure if the nipple is completely removed during a lift or not. 

thanks for your responses

As I began to love myself I freed myself of anything that is no good for my health - people, food, situations, things, and anything that drew me down and away from myself. At first I called this attitude a healthy egoism. Now I know its "love of oneself". Charlie Chaplin

katier825
on 12/26/13 9:18 pm

I have less sensation on one side and normal on the other.  It's kind of annoying, but I was forewarned that it was a possibility when I had the surgery.  It's been nearly 2 years.  It is better than it was, so maybe someday it will improve.  Then again, who knows.

Laura in Texas
on 12/26/13 11:05 pm

I think this completely depends on the skill of the surgeon. Mine are more sensitive now that pre-breast lift, which is amazing because mine hung down to my belly button and required a lot of work to get them up where they belong.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Waterwench
on 12/28/13 1:56 am - portland, OR

Initially I had numbness throughout the breast, but my nipple sensation returned within a year, and the lingering numbness on the sides of my breasts resolved within 2 years. The doctor did not remove my nipples and reattach them, however--just ask your doc to check the op report and confirm whether your nipples were removed and reattached--that will give you a better idea of what to expect in terms of returning sensation.

"Fall down 7 times--STAND UP 8!"

Laura in Texas
on 12/28/13 2:25 am, edited 12/28/13 2:25 am

What surgery did you have? Just implants?? For a lift, they remove the extra skin surrounding the nipple and restructure the skin around the nipple. The nipple is not removed and reattached in any surgery.

Here is a video explaining the breast lift procedure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWR3KWLxkEg&oref=http%3A%2F%2 Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DHWR3KWLxkEg&has_verified=1

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Waterwench
on 12/28/13 3:59 am - portland, OR

Actually, although the pedicle flap technique is the preferred method nowadays, sometimes the surgeon has to do major revision on the areola and repositioning that requires a larger tissue loss than normal. In those rare cases, the areola and nipple complex is completely excised and kept in sterile saline until the tissue revision is complete. Then they are sutured back in place for the most aesthetically pleasing result.

Again, the only way to know for sure if this was done is to read the operative report. This is available through your hospital's medical records, or you can consult directly with the physician (if he or she is worth their salt!) who will go over the entire procedure with you.

Steps78
on 12/28/13 5:06 am

What would constitute major revision needing to completely remove the nipple? 

As I began to love myself I freed myself of anything that is no good for my health - people, food, situations, things, and anything that drew me down and away from myself. At first I called this attitude a healthy egoism. Now I know its "love of oneself". Charlie Chaplin

Steps78
on 12/28/13 5:06 am

Great responses though thank you!

Waterwench
on 12/28/13 9:42 am - portland, OR

If the breasts are extremely large, or the nipple is very far from the chest wall, even after weight loss, or there is a lack of supportive tissue underneath the nipple to drape the trimmed skin around, this may be the case.

Steps78
on 12/29/13 11:47 am

I understand. Well thank you everyone for your input,  I appreciate you sharing your experiences. 

Most Active