6 months PO TT/BL

wls2011
on 12/19/13 7:49 am - Ballston Lake, NY

Hi everyone,

I haven't been on the boards much so I figured I was overdue for an update.

I wish I could say that PS was the best thing ever for all those that are excited and waiting to do it. I know that I loved reading those posts pre-op. And I really feel that VSG was the best surgery I did for myself, and was hopeful that I'd feel the same elatedness after "completing" my journey with PS.

Unfortunately, for me, so far it was not worth it. I drained all my savings and suffered through recovery and still having pain related to surgery. I am still hoping I will have a change of heart some day. Maybe at the 12 month mark???

I did have minor complications, seroma that required multiple drains and needles, and opening of  incisions that were a nuisance. Also had thigh pain and numbness on right leg, that still bothers me from the nerves there close to scar line at hip.  I was on bed rest and then minimal activity for a long time. This lack of exercise, boredom, and frustrations led to a 10 lb weight gain during the last 6 months that I'm very unpleased with and dieting again to lose. I was stable for long time without having to diet pre-plastics!

I have recovered finally but still have major swelling (belly button protrudes like an "outie" by the end of the night or after exercise).  I scarred poorly from all the opened incisions and have quite large wide scars. (despite my efforts with silicone strips, gels, massage, etc).

The worst thing I didn't expect was the pain still at the hips where the scars are. I am trying to really massage these areas and there is lumpy scar tissue underneath. It doesn't seem like it will ever feel normal or look normal, and I think I have dog ear on right side.

As far as looks go, I did get rid of the hanging tummy skin, and for that I'm grateful. And I do have a very cute belly button now, instead of the sad face one pre-op. I also have better looking and firmer breasts than before, but they sag more and more each day. The lift doesn't seem to be lasting at all. (and the right breast is still much larger than the left which really bugs me)

It's ironic that immediately after surgery, while scars were freshest, I thought I looked terrific. I don't know maybe it was the drugs. Or maybe I was hopeful that each day would see improvement when really it has been sort of the opposite. My tummy has never been as flat as day one post op. My boobs have never been as high and perky as day one either. Oh well....

To sum up, I would not do this again, if given a choice knowing this outcome. However, I realize I still may change my mind, especially since I was so unhappy before with the skin situation the way it was. I think that if I felt fully better and my hips did not hurt and if I did not still have uncomfortable feeling throughout lower abdomen and thigh, I might be more positive about this whole experience.

I will cross my fingers that all will be normal by 12 months. :)

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

Mell
on 12/20/13 4:22 am

I am sorry you are having such a hard time. I too have days where I dont feel good about my decision and at this point it still was not worth it. But I hope soon it will be. I have a revisions in office next year so I keep my fingers crossed it will be better after that.

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

emelar
on 12/20/13 6:54 am - TX

It will continue to get better.  I'm at 11 months post-LBL and things are much improved in the last few months.  I loved the result immediately (no more flappy stomach), but the recovery was much longer than I expected.  The numbness has continued to go down to the point that it's only the spot right between the bellybutton and the incision.  I've got feeling back everywhere else along the incision line.  I still swell a little in the evening, but it's not noticeable to anyone but me and isn't affecting my clothes.  And I know what you're talking about on the hip issue.  I don't have pain, but they're still sensitive.  Doc said there are permanent sutures there and it's just a question of healing.  Again, it's gotten much better in the last few months.  So don't give up hope!

godzilla
on 12/20/13 4:59 pm - Israel
Wow you are the first person I am reading about with major dissatisfaction from ps from dr.S but you are not saying it was him but your own body healing in pain and scarring.
Pain and scarring is a very individual process.
I scar ugly and had wound dehiscence and slough to gangrene at the t-line treated with a WoundVac for seven weeks. My BL/BR had my right areola open-and I have/had dog ears on the sides of the breasts which I am in the middle of revising as the hospital committee decided in the M&M meeting not to do any more surgery in ma and my ps understands my pain and disappointment so it was re-decided and I could have the dog ears and bra blubber removed BUT only in Day Surgery with only Local Anesthetic and ONLY one side at a time. I had the Left side done on 22October and the Right will be done in 18Feb. These revisions are private whereas my TT and BL/BR were paid under my HMO.
I hear your sadness and frustration and candor but for me in spite of my various complications on my ps journey I marvel at my flat (or almost flat) tummy compared to the jelly belly I had;my little "lopsided" boobies instead of hanging pendulums.
I still get tingling in my left hip and my TT was 8/08/11. I get itchy under my skin and no way to scratch.
Have you written your ps about revision options? Send him pics or meet-up when he is next in the US to see if there is anything he can do that won't cost you a fortune.
Some plastics take 6-12 months to truly show their changes which is why when HMO pay they often make us wait very long between each procedure for total healing. Not to day the Dr.S or others are wrong as I can only write of Israel and public hospital criteria.
If you want to talk, msg me your number and I'll be glad to call you
-Israel is seven hours later than NY.
Mikimi in Israel
Iam_with_the_Band
on 12/20/13 8:47 pm

I'm sorry you feel unhappy.  First off, I think you should send pictures to Dr S and get his opinion.  Secondly, not everyone scars as well as some.  I have never scarred well.  I had a ganglion removed from my wrist when I was 10 years old.  That was 38 years ago and it has finally changed to be completely invisible.  I had a raised scar there with a purple tone to it for 30 years.  With my plastics, I used the Silicone strips, the creams and massages and my scars look bad.  That is me, that is my genetics.  I never expected better.  You're only 6 months post op and things can still change a lot in the next 6 months.  Send him your pictures and see what he says.  On the scars, just wait and see.  This may just be the way you scar. 

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Waterwench
on 12/28/13 2:11 am - portland, OR

So sorry you had a bad experience! After gaining back 10 pounds, it's possible that this is one reason why your stomach is not quite as flat as immediately after surgery. Since you fast before surgery, your immediate results are on a completely empty stomach and intestines--which makes anyone look more slender!

As part of your dieting, I would recommend completely cutting out salt and drinking at least 2 liters of water per day. I've also seen people over the moon at the reduction in their body's swelling after switching to a gluten-free diet. Lean meats, raw fruits and veggies, and non-gluten forms of grain may be the ticket to reducing that awful fluid retention you've been experiencing. I've definitely noticed the same effect myself, though I am not having my PS until next month. Good luck and godspeed, lady!

"Fall down 7 times--STAND UP 8!"

wls2011
on 12/30/13 4:51 am - Ballston Lake, NY

Thanks so much for the responses. I have lost 5 lbs of my weight gain by tracking my food diligently. This has definitely raised my spirits some. I am trying to really focus on fluids and protein like I did before.

I also have been trying new lotions and really massaging the scars frequently. I am hopeful.

However, it is still shocking that I swell so much this long post op. It is so frustrating that my lower abdomen feels like a huge weight and switching positions is still a challenge, like in exercise, sleeping, or sex. This is not normal and I was very flexible pre plastics. I really hope this is not permanent! I wonder,if it is the numbness that makes it feel this way?? Nobody seems to describe what I am feeling in their recoveries. I still can not be touched anywhere near scars without pain either.

I will try to post pics so that others can see the scarring and results I have. I love Dr. S, but will not be returning to MX. It is doubtful I will even do revisions, but since I ran in to complications last time, I would be inclined to stay local, if I attempt this again.

MyLady Heidi
on 12/31/13 6:21 pm

I swelled alot and for a long time, like years.  Your bikini pic is great, you look wonderful, I hope the pain goes away but remember it might not if its nerve damage, I have that with my neck lift in the back of my head.  Yes it always is numb and hurts, I ignore it the best I can.  You will too.

Good luck.

wls2011
on 12/30/13 5:03 am - Ballston Lake, NY

PS. I have had other surgeries in my life and scarred okay. I just think it was due to the complications. Also I never had such large incisions before.

Iam_with_the_Band
on 12/31/13 4:57 pm

I have never scarred well.  I knew that going in.  We discussed it in the mark up.  My arms and thighs look pretty good, it's my tummy that still has a very red scar.  I don't really care about that.  I do know about your swellign and that is something I still deal with.  Some deal with more swelling than others.  IT's very random.  I thought for awhile it had something to do with how much you lost, or how much skin was removed, but lately I've seen some who didn't have the same swelling I did and they lost just as much weight as I had.  I'm not sure why it happens, but I know it does.  I am 2.5 years post LBL and Long thigh lift and I still swell a lot after working my long night shifts.  Just hang in there and know that eventually the swelling will resolve. 

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Most Active