X-Post, exciting news today/ tummy tuck time

Linda B.
on 11/7/13 3:29 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

I don't want to make this a long story, but I was cruising the internet a couple of weeks ago, and discovered that a relatively local clinical research facility was looking for people seeking a tummy tuck or breast lift. Well, Mike & I inquired about the details, and today we were both accepted into the study. These will not be extended, but mini tt's. While the extended tt or body lower body lift would have been my first choice, the budget just can't be stretched that much (unlike the loose skin).

So, my surgery is scheduled for Wednesday, and Mike's will be a week later (if he can get the time off). Since Mike is new to his job, he won't be able to take me, so a trusted neighbor is driving me down, Mike will pick me up after work. The Dr. said I should be able to drive in a few days or as soon as I'm off pain meds. I hope I bounce back quickly.

Oh, the study is to see if a new surgical blood clotting solution is effective. The study is in phase 3, so it has already been tested, but to get FDA approval, the manufacturer needs to have a larger patient pool. The only costs we will have are a few days off work, compression garments, and pain meds. I'll let you know how it goes.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

Mlkpas
on 11/7/13 10:57 pm - Pasadena, CA

That's great news!  I would caution you, though, to take as much time off work as you can.  This surgery is no joke!  I took four weeks off for my TT and was very very glad I did.  I don't think "a few days" is nearly enough.

I'm 5'2" and 55 years old.  VSG 3/17/10

Linda B.
on 11/8/13 3:01 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

I will have a full week off Thanksgiving week. I just need to be able to sit through an orientation a week later. I might pick up a high school assignment or two, but not younger kids. I'm a substitute teacher, so I can choose what age level. I am taking a week off right after, I just hope I heal well.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

Mlkpas
on 11/8/13 10:45 pm - Pasadena, CA

You should be able to sit through the orientation if absolutely necessary.  But really,you won't be able to work for a minimum of a couple of weeks.  Give yourself time to heal!

I'm 5'2" and 55 years old.  VSG 3/17/10

Tess145
on 11/7/13 11:34 pm - Senatobia, MS

Have you researched other patients that have been part of this study?  How were their results?  Where will the surgery be done?  Hospital or Clinic?  Will you be put under or will it be local?  Since this is a mini tummy tuck, I am assuming no muscle repair?  I have yet seen anyone go back to work under two weeks.  You may need more time off.  Sorry for all the questions, I guess I get a little leary when it sounds to good to be true.  I hope you have great success.  Please keep us informed.

Tess

Starting Wt 306; Losing Wt 155; Goal Wt 145: Regain Wt 225; Current Wt 157
PS:  FDL Tummy Tuck, Hernia Repair 5/17/12, TT Revision, Butt and Thigh Lift 4/18/13

Linda B.
on 11/8/13 3:06 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

I don't have access to others in the study, but the surgeon is board certified. It will be done at a hospital outpatient surgery center that is attached to the hospital. After I'm released from there, I am wheeled over to the research center (also in the hospital), where I will be monitored for at least another 6 hours.

No muscle repair, just loose skin, kind of like a panni. But, it is a start. I need much more, but this will help me get going. I was told that the research participants who would like more done later are given a discount.

As for work, I am a substitute teacher, so if I do work a few days, I'll pick an assignment close to home with older kids. I'll post about the experience.

MyBariatricLife
on 11/9/13 7:24 am
I am very happy for you! Now, I want you to be sure that if you feel a pain in your leg thwt you go to the ER immediately. That is a telltale sign of a blood clot. Because the pharmaceutical company is TESTING this drug means it may not work or it can have unexpected side effects, so watch for that, too.

My surgeon has a venous ultrasound done to make sure there are no blood clots. I hope they will do this for you. He also typically prescribes a blood thinner several days after surgery to further protect against clots.

Also, if you have shortness of breathe call the ambulance immediately. This could indicate pulmonary embolism, which is a blood clot that has travelled to the lungs.

I do not want to scare you but sometimes people die in clinical trials. So the two incidents that I warned you about above are about the most serious complications that I know of after plastic surgery.

Good luck to you with the surgery. Chances are that everything will be fine but with health it is best to be prepared.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Most Active