When did you stop wearing your binder post TT?

kellybelly333
on 3/10/13 11:29 pm - Toronto, Canada

I had a TT 6 weeks ago, and wore my binder until the end of last week (was told four weeks, then switch to spanx). I tried spanx at the four week mark, but it made me feel sick and it hurt. I can't seem to get the binder tight enough anymore to do the job that spanx would, and the spanx still bother me. I wear them to exercise, but I can't sit properly in them. I had them, and wore them sometimes when I exercised before surgery, without issue.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

emelar
on 3/11/13 12:27 am - TX

I'm six weeks out today and still wear the binder. I was told last week that I could start transitioning into control tops, but to stay away from Spanx because they're too tight!  I have to admit that I'm still most comfortable in the binder. enlightened

kellybelly333
on 3/11/13 12:29 am - Toronto, Canada

We had surgery the same day! I think I got too comfortable in the binder. I can't get it tight enough now, which is the problem. I loved it!! Ok, control tops makes sense to me. I'm going to check them out!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Kim S.
on 3/12/13 7:13 am - Helena, AL

I had a LBL on November 9th.  I was in the binder for 3 weeks, then in Spanx for 2.  I didn't have any issues with the Spanx.  Maybe you could wear the Spanx over a pair of bike shorts (cut the crotch open on the shorts so you can pee without having to pull up and down during the day).  I know my scars were a bit sensitive the first 2 days of Spanx, but after that I was fine.

Iam_with_the_Band
on 3/12/13 8:11 pm

I had to wear my compression garment for 6 weeks, 24/7, only removing it for showers.  I do believe it was much more comfortable than a binder.  I started with a binder and my surgeon could tell how uncomfortable I was so he the purchased two very expensive compression garments from www.designveronique.com and told me I had to wear it for 6 weeks.  I wore it for 6 months while working and working out because it decreased my swelling.  I actually purchased 2 more.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

melizabeth
on 3/12/13 10:53 am - CA
I'm 5 days post op tt and hate this binder..I can't breathe. It's so tight. Maybe I'm swelling and that's why it feels tighter.

Melizabeth

RYN 9/20/11--HW 211--CW120--Extended TT 3/7/13   

GOAL Weight 120 met 18 months post op

emelar
on 3/12/13 11:38 pm - TX

It's the swelling. And the hell of it is, even if you take the binder off, you'll still feel tight as a tick. No more feeling of release, because it's your own skin acting as a natural girdle. Freaky feeling!

melizabeth
on 3/13/13 1:10 am - CA
Freaky feeling for sure. Thanks for easing my mind. I think I just lay around and obcess about how I can't breath and its so @$$& tight. Hopefully, today will be a better day. Home alone until my husband gets home makes for a long day.

Melizabeth

RYN 9/20/11--HW 211--CW120--Extended TT 3/7/13   

GOAL Weight 120 met 18 months post op

emelar
on 3/13/13 1:57 am - TX

Lortab and laying on my back with my head and legs elevated was the only thing that would ease the swelling at that stage.  Yes, the swelling comes all the way up to your breastbone and the only part of you that can still expand to breath is above that.  Very uncomfortable.  But the swelling will start moving down in a few days, and at least you'll stop feeling breathless.

Crazeru
on 3/18/13 7:17 am

Dr orders were for 6 weeks in compression garments 24/7.  I was in mine for 3mo because it felt better with the compression garments on.  I did get out of my garments at 6 weeks for my UBL and arm revision.  I do sleep in a control top to help with the swelling.  It's minimal, not like my LBL.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Most Active