What surgery did I have? LOL

kellybelly333
on 2/13/13 1:04 am - Toronto, Canada

An odd question, but I went in for a panni removal, and the doctor said that while the skin was up, she tightened my ab muscles (right under my ribs). I also have a new belly button. And a scar hip to hip. Doesn't that sound more like a tummy tuck?

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

ReadyforPlastics
on 2/13/13 1:24 am

LOL - I love your question.  :)

Yes, that does sound more like a tummy tuck to me.  From what my surgeon told me, with a panni removal (at least for insurance purposes) they aren't allowed to touch the belly button.  But you have a new belly button and ab tightening - I think, by definition, that is a tummy tuck! 

Hope you love your results!  That was really nice that she did some extra work while in there.  Although, some might argue that was pretty risky and maybe even morally "wrong" if you hadn't signed a waiver for that additional work.  But maybe the malpractice climate is very different in Canada than it is in the states.  I personally think it kicks ass that you got some extras thrown in - so long as you are happy with the results, and you didn't mind that she did that!

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!   Galatians 5:22-23

kellybelly333
on 2/13/13 1:41 am - Toronto, Canada
Oh I am sure that she told me, and I just didn't take it in. I knew i was getting a new belly button, and i thought the muscle tightening was below the belly button. I am happy that more was done, and i definitely blame myself, not my doc, for my own misunderstanding. But when I read that (on here) that a panni removal leaves you without a belly button, and no muscle tightening, I thought I've been saying the name of my surgery procedure incorrectly. I also read that it can be called a panniculectomy with muscles tightening, or a TT interchangeably. I also misunderstood the difference between a TT and a Fleur de Lis (who's is what I thought a TT was).

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

godzilla
on 2/13/13 5:18 am - Israel
There are different names but if for insurance as in Socialized Medicine like in Israel, so your PS went by the book to give you what you need and possible the way your body is shaped (tall or short torso-and I'm thinking you might be short) PS was able to sneak in the extra tightening. I know that mypaperwork said Apronectomy but in the end my PS did a TT hip to hip and when I applied bia HMO a year layer for Breast Lift, I was "rebuked" for having a full TT -as if I am to be blamed for what is done to me while under General Anesthesia!
Enjoy what you had!
Mikimi in Israel
kellybelly333
on 2/13/13 6:51 am - Toronto, Canada
I'm short, yep. I done with surgeries!! I won't be getting anything in the future. I hate going under the knife!

MackenzieLee
on 2/13/13 10:30 am

heheh I hope I have your problem! I'm looking at getting the normal, insurance covered 'panni' done and I was told that depending on where my bellybutton is, I may end up without one.My second consult is April 2.... Oh well, I'd rather NOT have the skin! Anyway, are you happy with your surgery? I thought the difference was, too, between the two surgeries that one just removes the excess flesh and the other removes flesh and tightens and does the belly button deal... but whatever, as long as you are happy!

kellybelly333
on 2/13/13 10:37 am - Toronto, Canada
Very happy. My family doctor confirmed tonight that I had what she considers a TT. So yep, super happy

Everything looks and feels foreign still, but I'm just past two weeks, and I read that it can take two months before you see final results. I just have a bit I bruising left and the swelling. Good luck with yours!!

Most Active