Calf reduction?

Casee320
on 3/13/11 10:48 pm - CA
Has anyone had or heard of someone having surgery to reduce their calf size?? Even after losing so much weight, my calfs are still huge and I absolutely hate that I can't wear tall boots! I do have some more weight to lose, but I'm doubtful that my calves will be affected very much. I haven't asked my surgeon about it and I'm not sure if it's even a procedure that they do?
christine G.
on 3/14/11 1:57 am
I'm interested to see what kind of responses you get- my calves are HUGE, even after losing 150 lbs.  I really hate them. 

Christine

Breast Lift/Brachioplasty January 18, 2011
Lower Body Lift March 3, 2011
Inner Thigh Lipo/Lift May 4, 2011 

katsparks
on 3/14/11 4:40 am - Auburn, CA

SW:270         GW: 125         CW:104(and still losing)
New Goal Weight: Whereever my body feels most comfortable and stops losing.

Abdominoplasty with Dr. Scott Green: 10/11/11
Casee320
on 3/14/11 10:48 am - CA
Thanks for the responses!

I've actually come across that website before when I googled Calf reductions. Reading it makes the surgery seem pretty risky and not promising, especially if the surgery is not even really done in the United States. I guess I'd rather deal with my huge calves  then take a chance at losing strength or not being able to walk, especially at 23. Calf toning exercises are suggested as a non-surgical way to help, but my calfs are a hefty 17 inch circumference (with the average for women said to be 14-15 inches). I feel like they haven't gotten much smaller after my 100lb loss, so losing 2-3 whole inches around from losing another 35 lbs and exercising doesn't seem too likely   Guess there's no harm in trying tho.

ericaFG
on 3/14/11 11:37 am - Cambridge, Canada
Don't decide until you've lost all your weight.  I found that certain areas tended to "disappear" at certain weights.  For example, my breast SHRUNK drastically in my last 25lbs, even though they didn't change that much with the first 130lbs.  My last 10lbs seemed to come off my hips, and my 5lbs regain has gone right back in that spot!!

I'd think that your calf muscles are large from carrying around all that extra weight for years. 

I run - that seems to really help my legs...

Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

Cher B.
on 3/14/11 3:43 pm - MA
My plastic surgeon wasn't familiar with a calf reduction procedure. I asked because my calves are still enormous.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/15/11 9:35 am - OH
FWIW: My PS won;t do them because he said they can only get limited results without risking functional complications and becaise of the very visible scars.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

janwillbthin
on 1/29/16 9:56 pm
RNY on 04/26/14

I have a lose skin problem on my calfs is  there  anything i can do? My arms , to include forearms have horrible skin sag going on. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Jan

Dcgirl
on 1/30/16 10:08 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Similarly, I have heard that calf reduction surgery is risky and doesn't yield great results. I lost almost 200 lbs and wear a size 8 pants but can't wear tall boots either. I found that Naturalizer makes wide calf boots that are SUPER comfortable and cute, and real leather. They have to be the wide calf not just wide shoe. Google a coupon and you can usually find a code for 30% off. I love my boots from them! I can walk 5 miles in them easily. Good luck! I know it can be frustrating to lose so much weight and still not be able to wear the boots but I focus on all of the awesome things in my life and deal with these crappy little things :)

NYMom222
on 1/30/16 6:15 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I actually got 2 pairs of Naturalizer leather wide calf boots from Nordstrom Rack... One pair I paid $80 and the other $40- same pair of boots different color, second time they were on sale after Christmas...

I relate to wanting my calves smaller...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active