Xyphoid Process

nicunicu2002
on 12/5/09 3:37 am - Sharon, MA
Has anyone had their xyphoid process removed when they had an anchor tummy tuck?  Mine protrudes out especially when Im laying down.  My surgeon said he could snip it off but Im wondering how much, if any pain is involved.

kim

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/09 4:01 am - Baltimore, MD
I'm sorry, I am new here and have no idea what that is, I hope you get the answer soon, I am curious as to what this is.
Don 1962
on 12/5/09 4:04 am, edited 12/5/09 4:04 am
Char,

The XP is located at the bottom of your sternum.  AKA your breastbone.

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/09 4:07 am - Baltimore, MD
ahh! thanks Don!!
nicunicu2002
on 12/5/09 4:42 am - Sharon, MA
thanks Don!

nicunicu2002
on 12/5/09 4:39 am - Sharon, MA
Hi Char...so sorry!

The XP is the pointed "tail" at tne end of the bone that runs down the middle of your chest, the sternum.  I think with all of my previous weight issues, it just grew in a weird angle and points outward somewhat.  Hope this helps!

DrL
on 12/5/09 4:18 am - Houston, TX
I've done it as part of open heart surgery (median steronotomies) when we worry about blood supply to the area being comprmised, but never for cosmetic purposes.  Is it a significant deformity ?

It's not exactly in the area we usually loosen the skin for a tummy tuck, and I do loosen the skin way up high too !
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
nicunicu2002
on 12/5/09 4:40 am - Sharon, MA

Thanks so much for the reply.  Actually, it does protrude quite a bit and my PS told me that I was the second WLS patient that he has seen in the past few months with the same issues.  You cant really see it while Im standing, but now Im worried with the upcoming TT that it might protrude more. It really annoys me when I lay down.  Just wondering if it would be painful to have it snipped off!

kim

Iam_with_the_Band
on 12/5/09 4:42 am
Mine protrodes a lot and I never noticed it while I was so fat!  BUT now, even not at goal, it's very apparent.  I am big boned (seriously!) and all my bones are protruding!  I still have 70lbs to lose before I get to goal, who knows what I'll look like then!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

MultiMom
on 12/5/09 4:23 am - NH
I think mine protruded further than my boobs before I had the augmentation!!! I would imagine that it would hurt ALOT. Now that I have had the BA, it doesn't really show as much.

Martha

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Most Active