Letter to My Senator Re: Obesity and PS Tax

DrL
on 12/5/09 1:36 am - Houston, TX

Weight loss patients would stand to pay the highest taxes if this part of the law is passed.

It takes 5 min to let your elected officals know how you feel about this if you go to congress.org.

Cosmetic Surgery Tax Penalizes Formely Obese Patients

Dear Senator,

I applaud your efforts in bringing affordable healthcare reform to our nation, and I recognize that there are serious financial challenges. However, the legislation's proposed 5% cosmetic surgery tax is a poor solution for many reasons.

The tax unfairly penalizes patients who battled obesity and have lost significant amounts of weight. They now lead healthier lives, free of the nearly ALL costly medical conditions that threaten to bankrupt our system.

These remarkable individuals are proof that the obesity epidemic can be turned back.

After weight loss, these patients are left with many pounds of hanging skin, and they are usually denied insurance coverage for its removal.  They are therefore responsible for paying for the surgery out of their own pockets.  The costs for such procedures easily exceed $10,000.

A $500 - $1500 tax on these procedures in unfair to this group in particular, who have done so much for themselves, and taken ownership and responsibility for their health.

A cosmetic surgery tax is unfair to individuals who save their money for surgery, especially women. I also see significant problems in this program meeting its revenue goals (this is currently the case for the New Jersey State Cosmetic Surgery Tax).

In assessing such a tax, how would the tax auditors or accountants determine if a procedure was "cosmetic" or not?  What criteria will be used to make the determination if these (or any surgery) are "cosmetic" or "reconstructive?" Are these individuals qualified to make these determinations?

I ask that you carefully consider and oppose this unfair tax.

Sincerely,

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Leah H.
on 12/5/09 2:10 am - TX
Thank you. I need to do this today!

Extended Tummy Tuck & Breast Lift W/Dr. Sauceda 12/30/2009

BigCityGirl
on 12/5/09 2:14 am - San Diego, CA
That's a wonderful leftter.  Thank you for writing it.  I have previously contacted both of my senators and my congresswoman.  Because I have two female senators and female congresswoman I'm hoping that they will see that the proposal would discriminate unequally between the sexes by taxing mostly working women. 
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
(deactivated member)
on 12/5/09 2:33 am - Baltimore, MD
Dr LoMonaco! I am so thrilled to see doctor's such as yourself doing so much for us! you are a blessing! 
Laura in Texas
on 12/5/09 3:33 am
Great letter!!  I'm going to write, also. 

Everyone click
HERE to find your senators and write your own letters!!

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

DrL
on 12/5/09 4:23 am - Houston, TX
Part of the problem is that there is a serious misconception about who has PS.  It is assumed that all people seeking it are "vain" and "rich" and  can therefore easily afford this "vanity tax" for "unneccessary" surgery.

They just need to be made aware of *****ally would be affected by this tax.

Letter will be on my Facebook wall if anyone wants to use a version of it.  All of your compelling stories would have much more impact than my letter.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
# 1 MACK_MAMA
on 12/5/09 4:34 am
Holy crap, Batman!!!!  lol

Thanks for the info Dr. L - I can't imagine why the assumption is made that plastics are JUST vanity - there's so much more information about WLS today than ever before - but there's still a LOT of ignorance out there.  

I will definitely take care of putting my opinion out there - my plastics have completed and improved a surgery process for me to get past my obesity and ALL parts were necessary.  

I don't just have issues, I have subscriptions!  I'm saving on the newsstand price.......

Check out my dating mis - adventures at: http://1macdatinggame.blogspot.com/

DrL
on 12/5/09 6:35 am - Houston, TX
Your input will help them realize "the real deal" on WLS and PS.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Most Active