Weight Gain After Surgery

Ica
on 12/3/09 10:50 pm - Anchorage, AK
I know of course that weight gain following plastics is very typical due to fluid retention...well, at least the part of me that functions as a nurse everyday does.... :)  But..  I am curious how long it took it others to reach a stable weight after their procedures.  I'm coming up on six weeks out now.  The morning of my surgery I was 158.  That night when I got home I was 163.  I've bounced around all day everyday since.  I'm not sure the exact amount of skin removed, as I haven't thought to ask (which sounds crazy, but I always have 100 questions when I go in), but she had estimated between 5-7 pounds.  So you lovely post op vets, how long after surgery until the scale showed the same number twice in a row!! :)
BrookeK
on 12/3/09 10:57 pm - Arlington, TX
Ica,

I am so glad you posted this!  I need to know the same thing.  I am 2 weeks out from Brachio.  I went in surgery at 138, came home at 148.  Now I am 143  I had 3 pounds taken off.  WTH? 

Brooke

I am 5'4" tall

kidneedonor
on 12/3/09 10:58 pm
Im not a vet but I can tell you I weighed 138 day of surgery he said he took 3 lbs of skin removed and I have been at 135.6 for a week w/ no BM YET!! I  go to see him within the next hour to get 3 remaining drains removed.. .. I know I will be leaving with a rx for laxative.. ugh!!  my weight has not moved at all since surgery which I find Odd.. anyways just my 2cents ..

Starting Wgt 238  Goal Wgt 145  Current Wgt 133
RNY 09/09/08 by Dr. Kruger
Full anchor TT on November 27, 2009 by Dr. Laurence Rheingold
Breast Reduction and Breast Lift May 24, 2010 by Dr. Laurence Rheingold

www.myspace.com/kidneedonor        
katiekat412
on 12/3/09 11:25 pm
I guess we're all in the same boat! I won't even get on the scale. I had lipo and should have lost weight, but I can't even get my big pants on. I know that immediatly post op, it was likely that I had 20 lbs in swelling. I wish I could share numbers (Im three weeks out), but I'm horrified. If I was confident it was all swelling, I would be rationale, but I've been eating more, and not exercising at all, which when combined, doubles my calories! ARGH!!

I guess we need to hear from some people that are six months out. HELP US!!

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

finallyme
on 12/4/09 11:23 am - Canada
I was 6 months out end of Nov. I am UP 7 pounds from when I had the PS...SORRY to disappoint. Honestly it was bad habits while I was recovering ( I was restricted to only very light activity by my family doctor for 10 weeks after surgery) and then starting a different job that has me sitting on my butt ALL DAY every day!
I do still swell, and some days my tummy is tight and sore from the swelling. The swell hell days are gone but when I over due it - it comes right on back! My worst day so far was 8 lbs of swelling from morning to night...it was AWFUL!
I am going to TRY and post some 6 months pics but I am lazy about it now.
Final verdict 6 months out? Still happy, still think Dr. Sauceda worked miracles with my body!
Soaplady
on 12/4/09 12:20 am - Guilford, NY
Knocking wood ever so loudly...

I went into my PS at 160 and now, less than 4 weeks later am 152.6 this morning. I have a bit of swelling at the upper thigh (at least I HOPE it is swelling...it looks ugly and MAY be from the lipo he did along with my full thigh tuck) but that is it. (BTW, Dr. S said he took 6 lbs or less off of me)

My LBL looks great and does not show swelling...same with arms and bewbies. Its all good.

My drains (all 7) were out by day 9-10...so it all depends on the individual.

Having said all that..I pray I dont go through a delayed "swell hell" later on.

Swelling IS a usual part of things and time is the cure. You will all be pleased a*****h when it all calms down.

(Kat..did you read the message I sent you?)

Soapy
BigCityGirl
on 12/4/09 1:32 am - San Diego, CA
About six weeks for my LBL and the same for my lipo.  For me there was some weight gain each time due to inactivity.  Once I got back on a normal gym routine, a few extra pounds came off rather easily.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
Alice H.
on 12/4/09 5:01 am - Winterville, NC
I'm 10 days post-op from LBL.  I weighed 143 the morning of surgery and she removed 6 pounds of skin.  My weight has been running about 136 since surgery.  I know i have a little swelling but it's not bad. I only had lipo on my outer thighs.  i'm happy with the results so far.  I'll be glad when I can get the last 2 drains out.  Hopefully on Wed that will happen.

Alice in OneDerland
H:260 G: 135 
C:145 L: 131 BMI: 26 H: 5' 2 1/2" 
RNY 10/07  LBL 11/09
HolliBeth1
on 12/4/09 11:50 am - Millbrook, AL
It took me around 6 months after a TT with muscle repair to stabilze. It takes time....

Highest~ 267/ Surgery~ 253/Current~133/ GOAL 130
August 31, 2006 ~ Gastric Bypass~December 19, 2008 ~Tuck with muscle repair~December 16, 2009 ~ Tummy Tuck revision (loosened skin as a result of stretch marks), Mons reduction, Mini Inner Thigh Lift, BL/BA to Full C from AA :)~December 18, 2013 ~ Butt Lift and brachioplasty~Completed by Dr. Wang-Ashraf at Artisan Plastic Surgery in Atlanta, Georgia.
"No day, but today", RENT...Johnathan Larson

wendy_fou
on 12/4/09 1:08 pm - AR
I'm SOOOO glad you posted this. 

My mom and I each weighed the mornings of our procedures because we were both curious as to what it would do to our weights. 

My mom gained between 10 - 11 pounds the day of her surgery.  She is about 3 weeks out and all her water/fluid weight is gone plus another 2 pounds.

I gained about between 7 - 8 pounds the day of my surgery.  I am about 2 weeks out and have lost all that plus another pound.

BUT, I know that some days I would weigh more than others - I swear it's a 5 pound difference some days depending on whether or not I'm a little more swollen, etc.  I usually only weigh once a week.  But since this surgery, I've weighed spardically during the week just to see how much fluid I'm retaining at different times depending on how swollen I feel (just out of curiously, you know?). 

So I'm curious too of how long the fluid weight yo-yo thing will last.  I figure it will stop when the swelling does.  I know I'm not really gaining/losing because my intake has not changed.  It would just be nice to be back to being stable. 

Most Active