Has anyone tried an ice bath for their PS swelling?

playwithzoe
on 12/5/09 2:00 am
I'm getting a bit nervous hearing how miserable everyone is with the extended swelling period.

Have any of you tired sitting in an ice bath?   I know it sounds horrible especially during the winter but athletes do this to reduce swelling so I'm wondering if it might help.  I'll ask Dr. Sauceda what he thinks.

I have a triathlon scheduled for April 17th.  It's a short one and I could up and do it easily without much training but I keep reading about everyone being so miserable with the swelling.  I was hoping to have PS early - mid January and wanted to start training again (swim-bike-run) early-mid March so I'd be at least a little in shape by the April 17th triathlon.  Is that expecting too much?  I think I've read that you can resume activity in 6 weeks, have any of you felt like you couldn't?

I may put off the TT and thigh lift but will be getting lipo on tummy, back, and thighs as well as a BA/BL, butt augmentation and some face work (brow lift, eye lids, fat graft in lips and nasiolabial folds).

Thanks,

Tamera

46 yr old female; 5'6"; 11/13/08 VSG Dr. Jossart LapSF, SF, CA
SW 213, GW 150, CW 140, dream GW 130 and/or 20% body fat or less
12/22/09 mini face lift; Dr. Hove, Monarch Med Spa, KoP, PA
01/09/10 Reconstructive Surgery Dr. Sauceda, Monterrey, Mexico
U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/09 3:01 am
  I was hoping to have PS early - mid January and wanted to start training again (swim-bike-run) early-mid March so I'd be at least a little in shape by the April 17th triathlon. 

Hi.  No you may not.

Just my unprofessional opinion.  But if you were thinking that you'd have a lotta surgery and begin training eight weeks later, I'd guess .... NO!!!

playwithzoe
on 12/5/09 3:17 am
Oh crap.  It's never a good time.

U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

EGSuzie
on 12/5/09 3:30 am - Elk Grove, CA
I was just thinking that you might be starting to barely feel human again by March...but triathlon training? I honestly do think that is expecting too much and you may be setting yourself up for a huge disappointment.

By resuming activity, they mean normal, daily tasks. Competing or training for a triathlon is not a normal, daily occurrence, but rather a major and stressful event on your body.

Perhaps by mid-summer or fall there is another marathon event you could consider
...when you will feel up to really kicking ass?

High Wt. 251.5/Goal 150/Current 145  39 yrs. old, 5' 6" tall, Size 1
  December 22, 2009~~ BA, Fleur de Lis Tummy Tuck, Sm. Thigh lift   
                     Dr. Francisco Sauceda, Monterrey, Mexico

playwithzoe
on 12/5/09 4:02 am
mid-summer or fall really?  Oh no I've got big triathlon plans for this spring/summer/fall.  Oh this sucks I didn't realize it was so incapacitating.  I'm not having any arm lifts or LBLs, not even a tummy tuck the most invasive will be the Donut BL and BA.

I did sprint triathlons all last summer and they are not as hard as you'd think they only take an hour and a half and because you are switching between the 3 sports it's not as big a deal IMO.  It's not like I'm planning to do an Ironman.  A marathon would be way more taxing!

Wow, I'll have to talk to Dr. Sauceda and maybe rethink this whole thing.  CRAP CRAP CRAP

EGSuzie
on 12/5/09 1:14 pm - Elk Grove, CA
Well, I could be completely off the mark time-wise...but I'd hate for you to push yourself before you are truly ready and end up hurting yourself or damaging your expensive surgeries, or at the very least end up disappointed if you don't bounce back as quickly as you would like.

Definitely ask Dr. S what he would suggest. If you feel fantastic and ready, he just might give you the go ahead to run-swim-bike to your hearts content as soon as you'd like.

High Wt. 251.5/Goal 150/Current 145  39 yrs. old, 5' 6" tall, Size 1
  December 22, 2009~~ BA, Fleur de Lis Tummy Tuck, Sm. Thigh lift   
                     Dr. Francisco Sauceda, Monterrey, Mexico

playwithzoe
on 12/6/09 12:34 am
Oh I will check it before I wreck it fo sho!  Still waiting to hear from Dr. S. to discuss potential procedures and realistic recovery timelines.

DrL
on 12/5/09 4:15 am - Houston, TX
Swelling Discussions:

http://messageboards.makemeheal.com/tummy-tuck/swell-hell-wh at-normal-t57927-15.html

10 Board-Certified PS comments, and 50 patient comments on swelling at:

http://www.realself.com/question/how-long-swelling-after-tum my-tuck

As for ice packs or ice bath...ask your PS.  The skin is numb and more fragile after surgery, so ice paks and heating pads are usually discouraged. 
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
sonnieN
on 12/5/09 9:46 am - grand rapids, MI
I was back in the gym doing weight training and working out w/ my trainer at 7 weeks. Would have been at 6 but my last drain didn't come out until then. I felt fine but just reduced the weight that I had been using pre-op just because I had been off for 7 weeks. My Dr. said it was fine to start then. You just have to go and do what your body feels capable of at the time. I'm 6 weeks out from my MTL & BA/BL and am going to begin training again next week.

Sonya
Most Active