Lap Band Questions

pru_lady2000
on 12/5/09 12:55 am - Irving, TX
I will soon have lap band surgery and I am very concerned about the excess skin.  I've was told that having a tummy tuck was not necessary to have after receiving the band and losing weight.  However....those who told me it was unnecessary to have a tummy tuck have had one.  Hmmmmm....now that's strange, if you say its not needed then why have you had it done?? The answer I received was that the only reason they had it done was because the had children and they had extra skin from that along with stretch marks.  I can't help but to believe that there is more to it than that.  Anyhow......I was wondering if there are any banded people out there who do not have children and have lost a significant amount of weight who will be able to give me more insight about this issue.  My question is.....do you want a tummy tuck now that you've lost a significant amount of weight or do you feel that you will need a tummy tuck once you get to your goal weight??

Please help?????
Maureen K.
on 12/5/09 2:39 am
Wow that is the strangest thing Ive ever heard not needing a tummy tuck if you got the band-

It does not matter which type of WLS you have, and everyone is different everything has to be taken into account, kids, age, amount of weight loss, elastisity of ones skin. Some people need them and some don't it is all a matter of personal preference. I got one because I did not like how my skin sagged when naked when I was wearing clothes everyone always commented on how flat my stomach was so did I need one not necessarily but I wanted one and I got one.

You should always wait until you are at goal and stable before having any PS.
Best WIshes to you on your journey.

Cheers

MO

SW - 223  CW- 130 GW- 140  Start Sz 18 Current Sz 4 Ht. 5'6"
 BA- LBL/TT 11/3/09

playwithzoe
on 12/5/09 3:24 am
I lost a little more than 70lbs and have a few more to go like 5 or 10 till I'm exactly where I want to be.  I was not over weight for many years and i never carried my weight in my stomach as much as my butt and thighs so I really don't need a TT but I've got a little extra skin there and I want one.  If you have been carrying a lot of extra weight around your stomach for many years you will likely have a lot of excess skin.  But as Mo said everyone is different, you'll just have to wait and see.  Band vs. VSG vs. RNY vs Weigh Watchers doesn't make any difference.

Have you considered a VSG - Great surgery IMO!

46 yr old female; 5'6"; 11/13/08 VSG Dr. Jossart LapSF, SF, CA
SW 213, GW 150, CW 140, dream GW 130 and/or 20% body fat or less
12/22/09 mini face lift; Dr. Hove, Monarch Med Spa, KoP, PA
01/09/10 Reconstructive Surgery Dr. Sauceda, Monterrey, Mexico
U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

Iam_with_the_Band
on 12/5/09 4:47 am
I heard of that stupidness too!  I have a Lap Band and I've lost over 200 lbs.  I am in Monterrey now, 3 days post TT and Brachioplasty.  This is just the first stage of several surgeries I'll have to have.  I have no idea why people say such stupid things!  The Lap Band helps you lose slower, but truly if you lose a lot you will need plastics.

I had my TT now, and I realize I'll have to have it revised when I get to goal, but I had 19 lbs of excess skin that was causing a lot of back pain!  I am a nurse and on my feet 12 - 14 hours a night and I just couldnt wait to get to goal.  My arms were really bad too and being a swimmer, I had to get them done now.  They were making swimming very difficult.  I'm glad I had these two things done before I got to goal. I can now be more active and minimize my backaches.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

pru_lady2000
on 12/5/09 6:41 am - Irving, TX
Thanks everyone for your response and helpful insight.  You're right, everyone is different and our bodies react in differents ways so I guess I will just have to wait and see.  Wish me luck!!!!!

Laura in Texas
on 12/5/09 9:21 pm
Good luck!!  Just follow the rules and you will do great!!

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

princesshan
on 12/6/09 7:25 am - ID
Hi. I had my lap band almost 2 years ago and I did need a tummy tuck. I do have 1 child that is 6 years old, but the skin issues were not from that. They were from being very obese then losing 105lbs in a little more then a year and a half. I was hoping I wouldn't have to have a tummy tuck but I just didn't feel comfortable with all the loose skin. I wish you all the luck in the world. You can check out my before and after pictures of my tummy tuck if you would like. The before picture shows how much extra skin I still had after loosing 98lbs.
(deactivated member)
on 12/6/09 8:35 am
I usually lurk here since I love to see the transformations.  So far I have lost about 70 lbs with my band, and have another 100 or so before I am happy.  There will definitely be a tummy tuck, brachioplasty, and thigh lift in my future.  I do have some stretch marks just from the mere weight I've carried over the years.  I think a lot of band pts make the mistake of thinking we won't have much loose skin due to the slower weight loss, but there are more important factors than the speed in which you lose weight.

Good luck.
Most Active