Another surgery this Friday to repair abdomen

Laura the Future
Pin-up

on 12/2/09 12:29 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 07/27/07 with
So the sutures that my surgeon used have definitely caused a lot of issues in my body (BEWARE OF TICRON SUTURES!).. one of the sutures located in the lower right portion of my abdomen ended up causing a very large infected hematoma. I had surgery to remove and repair that on Sept 11th but last month the pain and large bulge in my abdomen returned. I have another surgery scheduled for Friday to open me up again and see what exactly is going on. I thought we had removed all problem sutures but I guess it's possible that there is another one causing issues.

While I've got the surgeon, I'm also going to get him to cut out the other sutures that are poking out all along my incision line since a couple of them are starting to get irritated as well. I'll also ask him if he can assist me with finding an appropriate doctor to examine my swollen leg. (In case anyone missed that - I've had severe swelling in my left leg since I had my LBL Nov 6th of last yr. I've had vascular ultrasounds to try and diagnose the issue but have gotten no follow up from doctor. Next step (if this surgeon can't help me) is to go straight to Alberta Health Care and RAISE HELL. There is no reason why this crap hasn't been dealt with yet. I've spent days sitting in hospitals and ultrasound clinics and medical centres trying to find answers.. but nothing.)
HW: 366, SW: 342, GW: 165, Maintaining at: 185 (No longer tracking weight loss. Pregnant and due May 1, 2011!)

There are two primary choices in life; to accept conditions as they exist, or accept responsibility for changing them.

Leah H.
on 12/2/09 2:10 am - TX
Praying for you that it works ut.

Extended Tummy Tuck & Breast Lift W/Dr. Sauceda 12/30/2009

DrL
on 12/2/09 2:36 am - Houston, TX
Hi. 

I am glad you found care close to home !  As I recall you were thinking of travelling at one point.

So the bulge was from infection around TiCron sutures.  I personally dont use them, but I have had MR sutures get infected and have to come out before in 2 patients.  One required 2 trips to OR.

The key is to get out all of the foreign materials.

I am sorry for all the delay in getting your leg treated !  Is this a problem with a doctor, or the system ?

Keep us posted,

Dr L.
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Laura the Future
Pin-up

on 12/2/09 4:29 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 07/27/07 with
Hey Dr L,

I just have to say this - Thank you for all of your help on the boards. I found it highly unusual that a PS would spend so much time talking to people on a forum like this, but I am so glad that you take an interest in and care about the people who post on this forum.

That aside, I have been trying to get care close to home for over a yr now. I do get a lot of nasty comments and looks from doctors and nurses when I tell them where I had surgery (I have started telling them that my surgeon is in San Diego because, even though it's only 20 mins from where I had my surgery, they seem a lot more understanding and willing to help) and I think my decision to go to Mexico has caused me a lot of grief - Doctors don't seem to be willing to help someone who would "intentionally go to a third world country to get hacked up" (Not my words, trust me).

When they did an ultrasound  of my abdomen they saw a lot of these TiCron sutures .. some of which had small pockets of fluid surrounding them, so it's only a matter of time before they start causing me issues as well.

My leg - It's an issue with both the doctors and the system. The system doesn't pay enough to keep doctors in this country, so they have headed south to the States for as long as I can remember.. so as a result, we have few doctors (very few family doctors with practices) and the ones we do have seem to be unwilling to help.. or they just don't really care about the patients that they are treating. When a 22 yr old female goes into a doctors office with VERY profound swelling of just one leg which is accompanied by pain, discolouration and loss of feeling - YOU WOULD THINK(!!) that it is something that should be taken seriously. Anyway. 3 ultrasounds on my leg and 6 different doctors and so far not one bit of help. The last time I went into the Drs office to talk to them I started crying before I finished the first half of my first sentence. Lol that is how frustrated I am.
HW: 366, SW: 342, GW: 165, Maintaining at: 185 (No longer tracking weight loss. Pregnant and due May 1, 2011!)

There are two primary choices in life; to accept conditions as they exist, or accept responsibility for changing them.

DrL
on 12/2/09 6:20 am - Houston, TX
OK thanks for the data.  Sorry about your issues with the system.  A good friend of mine practiced in B.C. up until 10yrs ago, when he moved to the States...said he couldn't even get MRI studies for his patients who needed spine surgery.  Sheeesh.

Their attitude on overseas surgery was a little inapprorpiate I'd say. 

I enjoy being a  resource here on the boards, and appreciate the trust you all show.  I also learn a lot myself.  Doctor's dont listen too much of the time IMO and here you all feel free to share !
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Laura the Future
Pin-up

on 12/2/09 6:31 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 07/27/07 with
Yeah that sounds about right. I wish I knew how to fix the issues with our health care (I would be a very popular Canadian!) ... I don't know a single person who's left a clinic or hospital and felt satisfied with the treatment they were given. Best treatment I ever received was when I had my RNY in Puerto Vallarta. I even told a local doctor that and he was very offended lol

I will update on Friday once I see this new surgeon. I really really hope that he is helpful. I am a little concerned about how his attitude is going to be - he is an older guy so he might be a bit oldschool in his thinking.

Robin B.
on 12/2/09 10:13 am
E. MEXICO
on 12/3/09 1:38 pm - Canada
from an alberta  girl just wanted to say good luck with your dr. appt...i too have had my issues with health care here...it can be very scary
Most Active