Anyone else a picker/puller?

sonnieN
on 12/2/09 5:33 am - grand rapids, MI
I had my MTL and BA/BL done about 6 weeks ago. I never had any external stitches but in a few places some of the internal ones were poking out. Initially the Dr. cut them down but now 6 weeks later some are starting to work themselves out. I'm a picker so the other day I picked at a spot that seemed like an ingrown hair (which I knew was where I had cut one of those stitches) sure enough part of the stitch came out. I gave it a little tug and about 2 inches came out. Was still attatched to something so I just cut it. Today I could see 2 more in my thighs in the area where all the incisions meet that is just starting to close up. Couldn't resist and pulled again. This time 3 to 4 inches of a stitch came completely out. So then of course I had to go pull the other one, this one a couple of inches came out and could pull more but felt something tugging under the skin and some bleeding. So I left it alone. I know it's going to be hard to leave it alone. Maybe when I get home tonight I'll have to cut it to to avoid the temptation.

Sonya
AbidinginHIM
on 12/2/09 5:43 am - Ontario, CA
Those are called spitting sutures. They will disolve over time, but sometimes they spit out.  I'm pretty sensitive to certain suture, and that makes me spit them more than I should.  I try not to pick but if one is coming out like that - which usually happens with some of the scab coming off, I will gently grab it with some tweezers and trim it off at the skin.  If there is still an issue, i'll ask my surgeon to trim them.  I hate spitting sutures, and I have a hard time leaving them alone.  When I massage my scars with cocoa butter, that will make some of them spit, and then I just trim them.

I had VERY little spitting suture this time around, but my surgeon tried a new suture that was "barbed" so that it wasn't as likely to spit.  He was surprised when I brought in a 4 inch piece to him that had spit the night before.

Oh, the worst spitting for me was in my legs. I had a moderate amount in my LBL, but legs were bad.
Jennie

31 lbs lost before surgery
Laura the Future
Pin-up

on 12/2/09 6:35 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 07/27/07 with
What do the sutures look like? are they thin and clear like fishing line or thick and coloured?
HW: 366, SW: 342, GW: 165, Maintaining at: 185 (No longer tracking weight loss. Pregnant and due May 1, 2011!)

There are two primary choices in life; to accept conditions as they exist, or accept responsibility for changing them.

sonnieN
on 12/2/09 8:19 am - grand rapids, MI
thin & clear like fishing line.
AbidinginHIM
on 12/2/09 2:32 pm - Ontario, CA
Mine are also thin and clear like fishing line.  The few that have spit from this surgery are clear, thin, but have little bumps or barbs so they don't spit so easy. It's been very nice to not have spitting suture.
Jennie

31 lbs lost before surgery
JSIL
on 12/4/09 3:00 am
Hi, can I ask you about your medial thigh lift? Is it painful? Where are you incisions? Also, is there any place where it has pulled apart? How long do you feel you were really down for? I work as a bartender and was wondering if 2 weeks will be enough for a mtl, bl no aug, and tt no muscle tightening. The day after my VSG, I was up not problem. When I had lipo years ago, I went back to my office job in 3 days, no problems.

sonnieN
on 12/4/09 7:24 am - grand rapids, MI
The MTL was by far the most painful surgery I've had so far. I was out of work for 10 days and was walking very gingerly at that time but was OK but I have a desk job. I would worry about being on your feet for a long time after that surgery since there is a lot of swelling going on. My incisions are along the front and back of my thighs then down to my knees so a long Y. Where the 3 incisions meet at the junction of my thighs there was some separation. Finally at about 6 weeks those have closed up. I'm not sure 2 weeks would be enough time w/ the type of job that you have. I'm guessing there is a lot of reaching and then being on your feet for long periods of time. If you had a desk job it may be possible but you would be very tired at the end of the day. I was off for 4 weeks after my LBL & brachio and had no energy when I came home from work for about 2 weeks.

Sonya
Ms Shell
on 12/4/09 11:43 am - Hawthorne, CA
I've been doing research and I used to be a bartendar and don't think 2 weeks will near enough time.   Swelling is bad enough but when I went to work after my lower body lift I swole way more then when I was sitting and resting.  Also when I walked on my treadmill I swelled and way very uncomfortable I couldn't image my thighs.

Good luck to you.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Most Active