Which Protein Powder do you Recommend?

WildeWoman1
on 11/29/09 3:54 am, edited 11/29/09 4:08 am
I had NO IDEA there were so many choices. I plan on using this to take in a suit case - so it must be a powder - as it is lighter.

I plan on using this during my post op time in CR to help me heal - as I read it is recommended.

I will start trying some flavors & see what I like best! How long do you all recommend drinking protein drinks post-op?? 6 months - a year??

Thank you all so much!!

Linda
wen
on 11/29/09 4:02 am - Manchester, NH
Unjury.  It was recommended by my doctor..the vanilla tastes awesome (I am usually a chocolate girl but find nothng is like the real thing so why bother)  and they have sample packets you can order on their website.  They do a lot of business with bariatric patients.
WildeWoman1
on 11/29/09 4:05 am
O.K. - this may sound like a stupid question ~ I did not have bariatric surgery - I lost over 85 pounds in 2006 via diet change.

Should I still take protein powder for post op wellness?

Thanks so much!!
Iam_with_the_Band
on 11/29/09 4:08 am

I'm not sure of other plastic surgeons but mine recommended I increase my protein pre-opertively for healing.

I have a Lap Band and have no malabsorption issues and don't drink protein drinks on a regular basis, but I started about 1 month ago.  I'm having my surgery on Wednesday morning!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

slowgoing
on 11/30/09 10:48 am - CA
Good luck to you, my surgery "friend" - I AM confirmed for same day, same surgery.  Plus, at the last min. I decided to have a medial thigh lift to get rid of those bulges I hate at the top of my thighs.  Gulp.  Hope you do well!!
(deactivated member)
on 11/29/09 4:09 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
I too did not have WLS I lost mine with healthy eating and exercise.
Yes I believe the protein loading has helped me big time!

I normally take a scoop or two every day and when I'm pre or post op I add another 2 scoops to my day. 
I also belief really good vitamins help....I'm using Vitamedics surgery pack (3 for the AM and 3 for the PM).  
I've used ProCare and have to tell I felt GREAT going into surgery and post op.  I actually wish I had bought it again for this one instead of using the pills.  For my next procedure I go back on procare for sure.  It takes NASTY but I felt great!

Best wishes!!!
Leah H.
on 11/29/09 5:42 am - TX
Protein will help you recover whether you you had bariatric surgery or not. I like the Pure Protein chocolate bars too.

Extended Tummy Tuck & Breast Lift W/Dr. Sauceda 12/30/2009

lacatana
on 11/29/09 4:13 am - orono, MN
Hi, I also like Premier from Costco, it is ready mix and has 30 grams pf protein and only 160 calories per drink. Mix it with some milk to make it taste better. Costco will take it back if you don't like it after you try it. It cost $23.99 for a box of 18 drinks. Probably more expensive than buying and mixing them on your own but very convenient.

Good luck to you. I am having surgery tomorrow and have been drinking them for 2 weeks.

Iam_with_the_Band
on 11/29/09 4:16 am
I add fat free milk, crushed ice and coffee to mine - it's a treat!!!  The Premier Nutrition is my favorite!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Laugh Out Loud
on 11/29/09 4:23 am
Another vote for the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey.  My local nutrition shop carries the box of 16 flavor variety pack individual packets.  Your tastes may change after surgery and this way you don't commit to one flavor or a barrel of product you may not like later.  Throw a blender ball cup in your suitcase and these are ready to mix with water or other beverage choice.  Good luck to you,
Cindy
Most Active