Which Protein Powder do you Recommend?

WildeWoman1
on 11/28/09 11:23 pm
Putting together that "list" for my PS journey - & we want to take protein powder.

Which is the best? How do you determine that? Is it the amount of protein in the drink?

Thanks so much!!
Leah H.
on 11/28/09 11:51 pm - TX
I like the Matrix Perfect Chocolate by Syntrax.

Extended Tummy Tuck & Breast Lift W/Dr. Sauceda 12/30/2009

Lisa0719
on 11/29/09 12:08 am - PA
Linda,

Whey Isolate is better absorbed than Whey Concentrate.  I use Inspire from BariatricEating.com for isolate, but I also use the Body Fortress from Walmart that's concentrate.  From Inspire I like the Caramel Latte and Cinnamon Cappaccino.  Body Fortress, the Chocolate.  The problem with protein is that everyone tastes are different.  I actually can only drink it hot.  Like a protein hot chocolate, latte, or cappaccino.  When you make it you have to mix with cold first to make sure it doesn't clump, then add ho****er.  I either microwave a cup of ho****er or use my tea kettle rather than put the actually protein into the microwave.  That's just my technique.   You really ought to try some samples before you invest in large containers. 

Lisa Mc

104 lbs lost now Maintenance BABY!!!! 

BrookeK
on 11/29/09 12:32 am - Arlington, TX
I am more of a "ready to drink" type girl!  I use Costco Premier ready to drink.  I'm out right now, but seems like it has 30 grams of protein per carton.  Very low carb and low sugar.  I agree with the other poster though.  Everyone likes different tastes.  This only comes in chocolate.  You can take it back to Costco, if you don't like it.  They have 100% satisfaction policy!

I hope you find something that you like!

Brooke
 I am 5'4" tall

Iam_with_the_Band
on 11/29/09 12:48 am
Brooke, The Premier Nutrition Protein drinks are my most favorite drink!  BUT I am preop and realized it has 25% of recommended Vit E in it and I can't drink it.  I'm very picky with my protein drinks and I was thrilled to find this one!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

BigCityGirl
on 11/29/09 1:16 am - San Diego, CA
I don't mal-absorb and I quit protein drinks after I obtained a normal BMI.   I've had four rounds of plastics and my wound healing has been great without protein supplements.  I eat a really healthy diet and I do very intense workouts at the gym six days a week so that helps.  WHen I was doing protein I used the Matrix Chocolate drinks.  I ordered them from the internet.  The Matrix protein tasted a whole lot better than other brands I tried.  I guess it all comes down to taste.

Good luck with your plastics.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
wendy_fou
on 11/29/09 2:15 am, edited 11/29/09 2:15 am - AR
#1 - whatever you can tolerate which is different for everybody. 

Yes it's definately true that there are better choices of protein, just as their are better choices among foods, etc.  But protein is different from all of that in that many of us have tolerance issues with various proteins.

When I was an immediate post-op, the only protein I could tolerate were New Whey Bullets which are DEFINATELY not an ideal source of protein.  But they were all I could tolerate, so they were what I used. 

Now I can tolerate pretty much anything. 

Others have already gone into how you tell which protein is best, etc.  So I'll just jump right to telling you what I prefer.  

I prefer Designer Whey protein powders (they also make the Biggest Loser proteins and Protein2go packets) because their powder tends to dissolve the best IMHO. 

Edited to add:
PS - After the first year post-op, I hardly use any protein powders/drinks anymore because I get plenty of protein from food & milk.  In fact, the ONLY time I use protein powders ANYTIME anymore is when I add it to no-sugar-added, low-fat vanilla ice cream to flavor it (banana & blue berry make GREAT ice cream flavors). 
Fred_Flintstone
on 11/29/09 2:19 am, edited 11/29/09 2:20 am - Bedrock
Optimum Nutrition "Gold Standard" Whey protein. I buy it online at  www.bodybuilding.com   

I'm a little more than 9 months post-op & I order it by the 10 lb bags. You can order smaller jugs until you find the flavor that suits you.

They have alot of flavor choices but my favorite is "Rocky Road"

They all mix easy with a spoon but I usually use a "Magic Bullet" blender and add a 1/2 of banana & fish oil with mine.

TammyGirl1
on 11/29/09 2:53 am - Oakley, CA
I love the Premiere protein RTD from Costco but it does have Vit E and they would get heavy in your suitcase. I bought Muscle Milk Light smaller container (it has vit E as well though) for post surgery and got the Protein Crunch bars (14 grams protein) for protein snacks. I am drinking Monster Milk powder. It is pretty good and no Vit E for presurgery.
TT, BL/BA, Lipo, FG/Booty, and small TLcompleted with DR Sauceda
SW 201 / GW 134 / LW 129 / CW 137.6
http://tammygirlsjourney.blogspot.com/

(deactivated member)
on 11/29/09 3:50 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
I like EAS Whey Protein Powder...I prefer Vanilla.
Most Active