Panniculectomy 11/9, now leg swelling?

kara P.
on 11/27/09 8:08 pm - NH
Hello All,

I was wondering if any of you experienced swelling (fluid retention?) in other parts of your body following surgery.  I had a panniculectomy on 11/9, no muscle tightening, no fat removal, no issues, it seems.  I seem to be healing well and feel great, however, I've noticed over the last few days my calfs and ankles appear to be quite swollen.  I have no reason to believe this is due to diet.  I originally had 2 drains, one was removed 11/19, the other is still in and putting out about 35 cc'sper day.  I have no discomfort, no temperature of any kind.  Is this swelling normal?
chickster522
on 11/27/09 9:11 pm
That was pretty much my story. I went down to Mexico in a size 6 jeans, and because of the swelling in my legs I came home in a size 14/16 yoga pant. The swelling lasted for several weeks...keep your feet elevated as much as possible, and watch the salt.

Good luck to you,
Debbie
(deactivated member)
on 11/28/09 12:25 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Yep.....I had a Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift .....I had no swelling in my tummy but my legs blew up around day 4 or 5.  I got the swelling down by putting on a compression garment that went down to just above my knees.  Plus I kept my legs elevated as much as possible....have to get the legs up higher than your heart so sitting in a recliner won't do it...you have to lay down put her legs up on a couple of pillows.

Hope that helps and you get some relief!
AbidinginHIM
on 11/28/09 12:38 am - Ontario, CA
Also along the line of putting feet up, I had to eventually get compression  stockings to wear over my compression garment to keep the fluid out of my legs.  I'd never had swelling feet/ankles until after plastic surgery, but it can happen.
Jennie

31 lbs lost before surgery
BethinSeattle
on 11/28/09 8:00 am - Federal Way, WA
I had to do the same thing as Jennie with wearing compression stockings after each of my surgeries and also keeping my legs elevated as much as possible.

322/157/170 Reached Goal on 7/30/06
LBL w/o outer thighs on 9/11/06
BL/BA, brach, lipo on 5/16/07
Medial Thigh lift on 01/23/08
M B.
on 11/28/09 8:37 am - Warrensburg, MO
I have not had any swelling but I know that my surgeon has been very persistant in asking me if I had any swelling in my legs or ankles.  At my 3 day and 1 week he checked my ankles and legs to make sure.  So, you might want to call your doc to let him know.  But, it sounds like others have experienced the same thing.

Marilyn  
Weight at Consult - 247 / Goal weight - 145 
Current weight 158
BMI - 24
Height 5'8"
Anchor cut tummy tuck on 11/12/09

Most Active