Silicon Strips or Vitamin E oil...

trishy
on 11/26/09 10:13 pm
I can't decide on what will do the better job on my scars.  I have been alternating 24 hrs or vitamin E and 24 hrs of the Silicon strips.  I have tan skin that keyloids easily.  which do you all think works better? I can't see a difference yet its only been a few days.  But I am already starting to keyloid.

Revision Band to Sleeve scheduled 10/29

dec721
on 11/26/09 10:28 pm - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
My surgeon said they have recently done studies that prove that vitamin E oil doesn't do much for scars.  He said that cocoa butter and aloe gel do the most good.  Best wishes!
--Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

AbidinginHIM
on 11/26/09 11:45 pm - Ontario, CA
Mine also says Cocoa butter, and when asked about silicon strips has said that if I want to waste money trying them, to ahead.  I just used cocoa butter.  He also gave me samples of mederma, but said that something like cocoa butter and massage do a much better job.  I think that each doctor has their own opinion though.
Jennie

31 lbs lost before surgery
BigCityGirl
on 11/27/09 12:06 am - San Diego, CA
I used the silicon strips and they faded my scars nicely.  I was skeptical but my surgeon recommended it and they worked great.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
MultiMom
on 11/27/09 2:13 am - NH
My PS recommended Scar Guard. It is a combination of silicone, cortisone and vit E. I am going to give it a try on the TT scars.

Martha

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

trishy
on 11/27/09 2:22 am
Thanks,  I have heard that the strips work really well for people with skin like mine.  I massage them alot when I have my clothes off.  They are kind of a pain in the toosh tho for the TT scars.  I have to tape everything on to make it stay on and then it leaves tape marks. I might use them on just the breasts ans vit E on everything else.  I have noticed that compared to my WLS scars these are looking better already just by the types of stitches the surgeon used.

Revision Band to Sleeve scheduled 10/29

MultiMom
on 11/27/09 2:29 am - NH
I used the strips on my BA scars and I think they did some good. The scar guard is a 'paint on' type solution. I think that will work better on the TT insisions. I can't even find my WLS scars and I didn't use anything on them.

Martha

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

kerniec
on 11/27/09 4:15 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14

Trishy

Dr. Bermant is a fan of all the silicone products..........there are a ton specifically made for certain scars, I had no idea............having done no research on PS but there's a lot to look at if I do!

Just wanted to say HI miss ya chick, glad to see you are back!

275 SW 8/5/08LB 165MW 2009-11, LB complications 2010-14

7-22-14 Revision LB to VSG 212SW/192CW/159GW  HT 5'7"

(deactivated member)
on 11/27/09 5:09 am, edited 11/27/09 5:09 am
I'm a PubMed geek.  According to the studies I read there:

1)  little or no results from Vitamin E
2)  very little results from onion extract
3) possibly some improvement from silicone gel and possibly more from "occlusive" silicone strips . . . 

Also, meta-studies show that possibly all of this is wrong, and none of them do any good at all.

Hope this helps!!!

Whoops!!!  Edited to add:  I'm using silicone strips myself, and my observation is that they have been VERY helpful in flattening out my scars and making them fainter, improving as soon as three days after I began use, and it's been about a month now.

Anjail
on 11/27/09 5:54 am - Detroit, MI
Where can I buy silicon strips at and how much do they cost?
Most Active