Quick Update

ColoradoHusker
on 11/26/09 3:27 am - Colorado Springs, CO
Saw my PS yesterday.  After looking at everything, it was decided that he will open up my incision and stitch me up again....AS SOON AS my body is in a stable state.  I need to get my iron up and stable (last time we checked it was 16!) and my protein up.

I was to see a hemotologist last Friday but I was in the hospital.  So I will try to get an appointment next week.  (PS is talking about IV Iron - yikes!)  I already feel like I'm eating 24/7 to get protein in....some days I just can't do it and I'm doing well to ge****er in.  No idea how long it will take to get my iron up....any suggestions?

Dh and dd are in the kitchen making T-Day dinner.  I'm pretty sure that my dh doesn't quite appreciate the difference between "dice" and "chunk" and "saute" means (to him) toss with a bit of butter or olive oil, heat optional.  No matter how it turns out, it will be perfect in my book!  Heck, I was prepared to go to a restaurant, so this is all good.....  I have promised dh that NO MATTER WHAT, holidays 2010 I will be healthy and a very active participant.

Have a great day!
Jana
AbidinginHIM
on 11/26/09 4:32 am - Ontario, CA
I had a response all written out to you, and then it was gone! Oh well -

IV infusions aren't that bad.  I've had them 3 times in the past, and have had iron issues well before I had bypass surgery.  For me, the infusions were given in a chemotherapy suite, and they last several hours and I've needed to have a series of 3-5 of them each time to bring my iron up to where it needs to be.  You will feel better shortly after getting them - more energy, stamina and not so tired.  Bring a book to read, or a dvd to watch - our infusion center has person tvs with a dvd player at each chair.They really are not that uncomfortable, but you can have a strange taste in your mouth, and a warm feeling all over your body.  Try liquid protein supplements for additional nutrition support.  I like UnJury protein.

You will get through this - your outcome will be good, and in the long run, only you can decide if you want more plastic surgery.  I still badly needed my legs done.  I'm a fitness instructor, and I specialize in water fitness.  I wear a bathing suit to work every day -- my leg HAD to be done!  They are far from perfect now, but I feel MUCH better about them, and I'm not embarrassed to be seen in a bathing suit.  I have wider than I'd like scars from my medial thigh lift.  My tissues are very thin, and with the swelling and such, the scars stretched.  I'm not sure that I'll revise them - we've had to revise certain areas on my legs 3 times now, and each time there has been an issue.  I'm gonna think about that one long and hard.  After the first revision to my legs I got MRSA and spent another 6 days in the hospital. I had to pack the wounds for 5 weeks before my leg closed.  I still wanted to do my arms.  My wonderful husband and I agreed that I would do my legs for me, and my arms for him.  Honestly, they were not that bad.  I've known many people with far worse arms, but they were so saggy that my dh was often asked what had happened to me.  People would think that I was sick or something.  He felt bad for me.  It wasn't until I was folding laundry in a tank top that I realized how bad my arms were.  When I emailed my surgeon about going ahead with them it had taken me weeks to get to that point, and then another 4 weeks to have the courage to call his scheduler.  I will say when I wrote him, he answered me in less than 30 minutes.  He was not afraid of me as a challenge patient.  I KNEW going into this surgery that I would most likely have complications.  I'm mentally prepared, as is my family.  I have 2 daughters still living at home, ages 24 and 20.  They are so supportive and proud and just want to help.  They know that I've never lived thin and this is a huge thing for me.  They are my cheerleaders. My husband has been there for me the whole time.  He does anything he can to help me acheive me goals.  My doctor and his staff are beyond supportive.  He listens to my concerns, answers my panicked emails promptly, and does all he can to get me to where I want to be - with in reason!  Don't be afraid of going forward.  Realize things happen and for me, I did lots of soul searching and praying about what I should do next.  I really clung to my faith and that was important too.  You mentioned earlier that you had cried and been depressed - I get that - I really do.  At the end of my 3rd month of drains, aspirations, binders, etc.  I just wanted to give up.  One night I was so tempted to rip my drains out.  i saw them as the enemy.  I was DONE!  I felt a little voice inside of me asking if that would really solve my problems - would that make it any better.  I'm glad I listened and didn't take out the drains. 

Even though I'm here on Thanksgiving, needing to be mostly inactive, and needing to get seromas drained again tomorrow, I'm thankful for the opportunity to change my life.  I can show who I am.  I can be the butterfly soaring instead of the heavy person without hope.

Hang in there Jana -

Gentle Hugs to you and Happy Thanksgiving!
Jennie

31 lbs lost before surgery
O. Kufi
on 11/26/09 1:12 pm
Jennie just wanted to say you have a great attitude!
Blessings!

We love because God first loved us (1John 4:19)

BigCityGirl
on 11/26/09 4:33 am - San Diego, CA
I wouldn't worry too much arout your iron level - just three weeks ago mine was 7 following my surgery and I'm cooking dinner today for 12.  It rebounds fast - you'll be feeling a whole lot better very soon.  Good luck to you.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
O. Kufi
on 11/26/09 1:13 pm
Jana...I hope each days gets better and that 2010 will be a great holiday for you and your family!

We love because God first loved us (1John 4:19)

JSIL
on 11/26/09 1:21 pm
I am sorry for your ordeal. I am low on iron, always tired etc. I started taking pre-natal vitamins because my body didn't like iron pills and within a two weeks I couldn't believe the difference in how I felt. Hang in there, I hope all gets better really quickly for you!

Melissa M.
on 11/26/09 2:29 pm - Seabrook, TX
Iron infusions are the best thing I can do for myself.  I do iron infusions on a regular basis since I cannot tolerate any type of iron pills.  I was even doing them twice a week for a while and it made a world of difference.  I'm sure it will for you too.  Just take good care of yourself and I'm sure you will get through this soon!
Most Active