1 week post TT Questions

azreggie
on 11/25/09 10:50 am - Tucson, AZ
Well, here I am, and I think I'm doing pretty well.  I go to get the staples out on Friday and I'm hoping for both drains to come out at the same time.  It all looks pretty good, I will post picture at a later time.  I had no lipo and no muscle tightening as these were  in pretty good shape, from what the Dr said,(I knew I had a six pack under there) and they removed 4 1/2 lbs of skin and fat.  So, my question is, I tried to go without the pain meds today but it was a no go.  When did all of you get off of them? And, what kind of stage 2 garment did you purchase and when did you start wearing it?  Thanks for any and all replies.

Reggie

AbidinginHIM
on 11/25/09 2:42 pm - Ontario, CA
Hi Reggie -
I had a LBL in June of 08 and at first had a design veronique garment that I got from my surgeon. For my second stage, I ordered from Make Me Heal, and bought 2 different garments. Here are the links to those

http://www.makemeheal.com/mmh/product.do?id=10016&procid=11& catid=55

and I also had the stage 2 garment that comes in this kit

http://www.makemeheal.com/mmh/product.do?id=10233

this is the stage 1 that I got from my surgeon

http://www.makemeheal.com/mmh/product.do?id=10214&procid=11& catid=55

Because of the amount of swelling and complications that I had, I began wearing them at 3 weeks and wore garments from 2 days after surgery on June 9 08 to Mid December. Then I had thighs done Jan 31  and went back into compression.  I've learned to live in compression garments!

As for pain meds, I took them with the LBL for about 2 weeks.  Once the rest of the drains came out at 3 1/2 weeks, I was doing good, no pain, no issues.  When the complications began - thats another story.

For this arm/flank surgery, I've used more pain meds than I would have expected. I'm 25 days out and felt like a failure today for needing 1/2 of a vicodin.  My skin felt like someone had scraped it with sand paper and I was very tender on my sides, armpits and down my arms.  Don't know why, but it was a really bad day.  I had been taking 1 vicodin per day at night to be pain free while sleeping.  I had a badly puckered area in my armpit and it felt like tearing open when  would move at night and I would wake up. On Monday, my surgeon was able to see a suture and cut it, and the pucker relaxed over a couple of hours. The majority of pain was gone in that arm and I had increased movement. Had not taken narcotics since Sunday night. I thought I was off of them until today.  You will have good days and bad - let your self heal and be comfortable. It really isn't a race to be off of them, but just pace yourself and if you can try another type of pain releiver if your doctor gives the ok.

Hope that helps,

Jennie

31 lbs lost before surgery
azreggie
on 11/26/09 3:51 am - Tucson, AZ
Hi Jennie, Thank you for answering, and yes I do have good days and then not so good days.  Its really good to know that it is not just an up hill climb with no set backs.  Taking a shower just about does me in. Trying to just rest is a chore itself but I'm working at it.  Thank you for your kind words that it "isn't a race" and there is no trophy for suffering.  Thanks for your reply.

Reggie

kidneedonor
on 11/25/09 4:36 pm
Hi Reggie   Glad to hear your up and about , as far as the pain meds I would continue to take them as ordered ,every 4 hours.. I am a nurse and when a patient comes to our rehab facility from a hospital I make sure they are well medicated and not in any pain.. I anticipate their needs and I am there b4 the 4 hour mark, because they are already starting to feel the effects of the pain at about 3 hours or so.. so stay on top of the meds.. you wont get hooked.. the doctor will see to that  he will prescribe just enough and monitor you through out the course of your healing period.. 
Best wishes,

Natalie

Starting Wgt 238  Goal Wgt 145  Current Wgt 133
RNY 09/09/08 by Dr. Kruger
Full anchor TT on November 27, 2009 by Dr. Laurence Rheingold
Breast Reduction and Breast Lift May 24, 2010 by Dr. Laurence Rheingold

www.myspace.com/kidneedonor        
azreggie
on 11/26/09 3:38 am - Tucson, AZ

Thanks Natalie, I just needed to know that its still ok to be taking them and that I'm not a wuss.  I'm taking Vicodin every 6 hours now and that seems to stay on top of it.  Thanks again.

Reggie

BonBon1
on 11/26/09 8:02 pm - Somewhere, GA

Reggie, I just wanted to say congrats on your surgery!  I'm just a little over 2 wks. out and have just stopped taking my pain pills.  I definately needed them at night for a while as I started getting what I call "twitchy".  It wasn't real pain just this really restless, achy feeling that wouldn't let me sleep.  I'm still getting that to some extent but have decided to go ahead and get into my usual night routine with some melatonin that helps me sleep.  DH still wants me to take a pain pill, but I'm stubborn!
  Take them as long as you need to, dear,  everybody's experience is so personal about this.  We all feel pain differently.  No need to hurt!  You can't heal properly in so much pain.
  Hope you feel better soon!
                                                      Bonnie

azreggie
on 11/27/09 7:51 am - Tucson, AZ
Thanks Bonnie.

Reggie

trishy
on 11/26/09 10:05 pm
I stopped the pain meds and went to tylenol after about 5 days post op.  Pain is different for everyone tho. I am still swollen in the waist/hip area and still wearing compression garmet, I have to say its easier to wear normal clothes without the drain tho, I am 3.5 weeks post op.

Congrats on your surgery!

Revision Band to Sleeve scheduled 10/29

azreggie
on 11/27/09 7:56 am - Tucson, AZ
Thanks.  I just got the staples out today and the dr said I was healing really well but the drains are still draining so maybe on Wed, which would be the 2 week mark for me.  He also said that if I start draining only 30 cc total per 24 hours to come in and they'll take them out.  They are cumbersome and I can't wait to get them out.  The compression garment feels very "secure" if you know what I mean.  It feels weird when I shower and have ot off for any length of time.  Its becoming my security blanket.  Lol.

Reggie

Most Active