For Dr. JLo, et al ... re: brachioplasty incision location

slowgoing
on 11/24/09 8:32 am - CA
I've recently seen some pics of a brachio from a gal here at 3+ weeks out.  And her incision was incredible!  The BIG difference is that the incision appears to have been made all along the lower part of the arm at the "exact point" of the bottom of the arm as if one were to extend out their arms as though on a cross.  So, when looking at the arms from either the front OR the back and with the arms splayed out to each side, you cannot see ANY incision except for when the incision angles up right towards the arm pit in front.  It is amazing.  Yet, when I look at most ALL other pics, the incision is ALWAYS halfway (or a little bit more towards the bottom) between the top of the inside of the arm and the bottom of the arm when the arms are extended out as typically posed by us to show others or taken by the PS prior to surgery.  Why CAN'T the Dr.'s make that incision more at the "bottom" of the arm so it's far less discernable?  I'm quite curious after seeing these recent pics of this patient and I'm close to getting this surgery, myself!  Thanks so much.
(deactivated member)
on 11/24/09 8:42 am - Garden Grove, CA
RNY on 08/10/04 with
I think it is up to each doctor. If you look at my profile, my scars are in the photos. If my arms are down to my side, no one can see any scar...except the elbows.
slowgoing
on 11/24/09 10:41 am - CA
Yes, I know when your arms are down, one doesn't normally see the scar ... but how often are our arms *down*?  Most of the time they are up or away from our body when we're with people and animated and moving and picking up things.  I don't plan on wearing sleeveless, but usually & always short sleeves, especially when I'm in the gym,  and I'd prefer, if it's possible, for the scar to be at the "bottom" of the arm where it seems to be much less visible.
AbidinginHIM
on 11/24/09 8:52 am - Ontario, CA
The incisions on my arms are at the bottom when holding my arms out like a cross.  You can't really see them.  They are not in the bicepital grove like most.  I thought they would be there, but as I discussed with my plastic surgeon, the skin in that area is thin, and on the medial aspect of the arm, the skin is thicker.  The scars on my legs wided more than either of us would like, and Dr. Lee was concerned considering my muscle mass, thin, over stretched skin in that area that it would cause scar widening in that area, and be more noticible.  He cited some studies to me showing that.  I also found a You Tube video of a live brachioplasty from Iowa City Plastic surgery that went into more detail about placing the incision in that area.  Plus if you have the z-plasty in your axilla, or in my case to the back of the axilla, it allow for greater motion, less contracture.  Right now, you can see a bit of my scar from the back with my arms down, but very little and more on the right arm -- I've really got to post some pics.The scar really doesn't show at all and I've had to point it out to people at 24 days PO. 
Do a search on You Tube for brachioplasty and see if you can find the 14 part live surgery and the pre - op and marking process.  It is pretty cool to watch.
Jennie

31 lbs lost before surgery
slowgoing
on 11/24/09 10:37 am - CA
Yes, I would love to see your pics, Jennie.  I'm heading to surgery in a week and would love to show my Dr. to see what he has to say about that placement!  Any chance you can show them within a couple of days?  Thanks.
Renee2007
on 11/24/09 10:43 am - Central, FL
I think mine are definitely more to the bottom. In the pics I provided in my profile I had to really twist my arm back to be able to show the scar to the camera.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

BigCityGirl
on 11/24/09 12:26 pm - San Diego, CA
Mine are at the bottom - located along a muscle crease if that makes sense.  My weight lifting has really paid off with my brachioplasty work - the scar blends in beautifully with the muscle tone. 

The worst brac scars I've seen are the ones that go up the back of the arms - I don't get that.  Those always show no matter what. 
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
spybo
on 11/24/09 2:20 pm, edited 11/24/09 2:20 pm - Houston area, TX
Neither Dr LoMonaco nor Dr Aly will do brachio incisions on inside of arm.  Dr Aly said they show too much and Dr LoMonaco says that inner arm placement is too close to nerves, arteries, etc.  So I got mine on the back of the arm, but I disagree with all you guys who posted on this thread about placement!  I am very self conscious about people seeing them from behind me and thinking, "Holy crap!! She must have had a horrible car accident!"

If they were on inner arm then no one could see them when they are in natural position at your side...
slowgoing
on 11/24/09 5:10 pm, edited 11/24/09 5:15 pm - CA

Okay, I'm assuming the woman won't mind since she posted this herself in a message.  Here is what I mean about a great-looking incision placement.  Notice how unnoticeable it is at the bottom of her arms?  Why can't this be the more common result by Dr's??  Is there a reason?  Most often it's one third up the arm compared to this.  When she posed with her back to the camera in the same position, you could again see nothing!  I've never seen anyone else's like this.  Keep in mind that her scars are at the very bottom of her arms here - don't confuse with the crease in her skin from the bandages she was wearing just before.  Only as the arm pit is approached do you see the incision.
(deactivated member)
on 11/25/09 12:47 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
I don't want to start a war here but I think it is very wrong to copy and paste the picture of someone else.  Despite that the fact that someone had the courage to share their before/after pictures for others to learn from it does not give another member the right to steal it and paste it in another message.  Especially since you don't even have a single picture of yourself posted...not even an avatar.

I learned a lot from the folks who had their procedures done before me and they were brave and kind enough to post pics that I learned from.  I wanted to "pay it forward" but this gives me great pause about posting any additional pictures of myself.

Maybe it's just me but I find it very inappropriate!!! 
Most Active