Weird neck thing~ what can be done???

Laura in Texas
on 11/24/09 8:19 am
I've lost 200 pounds.  In the center of my neck, it hangs down.  I've noticed this on other WLS patients, too.  What can I get done to lift it up?  Do I need a face lift or is there an easy fix (isn't there some string thing that can be done)?  There's no fat there, it's just loose skin and drives me crazy.  It may be surgery #2 for me.  My arms are #1.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

slowgoing
on 11/24/09 8:40 am - CA
If it's like mine, it's often referred to as a "turkey neck" - lol, but not so funny!  I'll be having a neck lift when I have a facelift, that's for sure.  Pls. don't bother with those phony gimmicks that are sold to "magically" make your neck tight again.  Only surgery will remove that excess, stretched skin.  And PLEASE don't fall for the "Lifestyle" lift, either.  Hundreds and hundreds of unhappy people - just do a search for Lifestyle Lift complaints.
Soaplady
on 11/24/09 11:06 am - Guilford, NY
I had a LifeStyle Lift a year ago Sept. to remove those nasty vertical bands of tissue I had hanging between my chin and neck. It really made a difference, but now, just a bit over a year out...they seem to be coming back a bit. Not nearly as bad as it was, but none-the-less.

I paid $5600 for it and would have expected it to have stayed firm for more than a year.

Spring for the proper face/neck lift. Prolly worth the extra dough.

Soapy
Lorelei_Lee
on 11/24/09 8:45 am - Dallas, TX
I can so relate.  I am 44 and I thought that turkey neck made me look 60.  Consequently, that was the first PS I did.  My philosophy was that I could hide my stomach, arms, and thighs, but not my neck, so the neck had to get fixed first.

What I had was a lower face lift (i.e., involving only the neck and chin areas).  My plastic surgeon told me that was the only way to get rid of the turkey neck.  Three weeks later, I still have two slightly swollen areas at my temples, but those will go away.  Otherwise it looks fabulous.  I'm told it took 10 years off my appearance.  (My avatar is "pre," BTW -- I will be putting up a new one in a week or so, so that you can see the results.)
M B.
on 11/24/09 9:46 am - Warrensburg, MO
I can't wait to see the "younger" you!!

Marilyn  
Weight at Consult - 247 / Goal weight - 145 
Current weight 158
BMI - 24
Height 5'8"
Anchor cut tummy tuck on 11/12/09

LinR
on 11/24/09 9:41 am
I went for a local consult  and the PS told me I would get more bang for my buck with a lower face lift instead of brachioplasty.  That loose skin does make me look older--heck I'm 57--but I'm going down fighting.  Will have a lower face lift in January with Dr. S.

Lin

dw45
on 11/24/09 9:43 am - Hartford, AR
VSG on 03/23/09 with
I have the "neck thing" too.  I did have Dr. Sauceda give me a quote for a neck lift and right now I haven't decided for sure if I will be getting it done or not.  If not, it will be the next PS that I will have.

DW

10 lb lost pre-op       5'10
Plastic Surgery completed 12/17/09 with Dr. Sauceda (Anchor Cut Tummy Tuck, Medial Thigh Lift & Eyelid Surgery)

M B.
on 11/24/09 9:45 am - Warrensburg, MO
I have the same thing.   I think I like the sound of the lower face lift!  I may have to put that on my list too! 

Marilyn  
Weight at Consult - 247 / Goal weight - 145 
Current weight 158
BMI - 24
Height 5'8"
Anchor cut tummy tuck on 11/12/09

Paige E.
on 11/24/09 10:46 am - TX
My turkey waddle was surgery #1.  When I went for my first consultation we made my priority list... he said whatever bothered me the most should be my first procedure.  I am so glad that I chose the neck/face/brow lift first!!!  Everything else can be covered up but my face is the first impression I make.  I was tired of looking like my mother!!!!  It has done more for my self esteem then anything I could ever have done!

~Paige~  -155lbs    (lovin' my band)   
At GOAL and BMI is healthy!!

iisme
on 11/24/09 10:48 am
Laura!
You and me both!  OMG I have started noticing it and it's really putting me off.
I  was shopping with my sister last week she was throwing clothes at me to try on. It was fun and i was game or it. Anyway, she threw something to me that had a semi turtle neck. It made it look about 75% worse! I was horrified!
How much is the going rate to fix this? Does anyone know?

10 pounds loss pre-op
Most Active