8 hrs in the ER!

BonBon1
on 11/24/09 8:13 am - Somewhere, GA

I thought I was prepared for just about everything involving my TT 13 days ago.  I've done very well with it: not much pain, great results so far, only problem drains still in.  Then Sun. I started having
severe pain in my right leg for no apparent reason, no swelling, redness, etc.  Hadn't injured it.
When the pain got up to the #10 level, I took 2 pain pills with very little relief.  So off to the ER Mon. morning to rule out a blood clot. 8 hrs later I was told my sciatic nerve was extremely irritated, most likely from keeping my legs elevated as I had been instructed to do following the TT.  I swear I had been up and walking quite a bit, really more than the dr. ordered.  So now I'm on some meds but already feel some better.
  Don't want to scare anyone with this, but please do be aware it can happen.  I haven't seen anybody post about this before so didn't have any idea it might happen.
  Good luck and happy Thanksgiving to everybody!
                                                                 Bonnie

DrL
on 11/24/09 8:29 am - Houston, TX
Im sure the 8hrs on an ER stratcher didnt help much either !

Nerve irritation or compression of the sciatic (and other nerves) can happen to anybody after prolonged rest in one position.  Hopefully some muscle rerlaxants and anti-inflammatory meds will help !

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
BonBon1
on 11/26/09 8:12 pm - Somewhere, GA
Dr. L., Thanks for responding!  Yes, about those gurneys,  I could walk perfectly well(even if in pain) when I went into the ER.  After so long lying on the gurney, my pain went up dramatically, and I was truly hobbling when I left.
  I am on meds and feel better already.
                                            Bonnie
LinR
on 11/24/09 9:37 am
Bonnie:

Sorry that happened.  Thanks for the warning.  My sciatica acts up every once in a while too.

Glad it wasn't a blood clot.  Hope your back on the upswing of recovery.

Lin

BonBon1
on 11/26/09 8:13 pm - Somewhere, GA
Lin, thanks for the response!   I've never had sciatic pain before and this was a big shocker to me.  My heart goes out to you if you've dealt with this before.
  Good luck with it in the future!
M B.
on 11/24/09 9:48 am - Warrensburg, MO
Bonnie - I'm sure sorry that you had to suffer pain like that.  I'm glad that it was not something too serious.  I glad you are feeling better. 

Have a great Thanksgiving!  Keep taking it easy though :)

Marilyn  
Weight at Consult - 247 / Goal weight - 145 
Current weight 158
BMI - 24
Height 5'8"
Anchor cut tummy tuck on 11/12/09

BonBon1
on 11/26/09 8:15 pm - Somewhere, GA
Thanks, Marilyn,  you are so kind!  Yes, we were praying this wasn't a blood clot.  I've had so much to be thankful for this year.
   I hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful and you are enjoying the weekend!
Most Active