BA - under the muscle or over?

playwithzoe
on 11/23/09 11:07 pm
Hey all;

I'm talking with a plastic surgeon and I had requested gummy bear implants (yes he uses gummy bear by Mentor) under the muscle but he said he thinks over the muscle is a better option.  I've always read that under is a more natural look, has less chance of sagging and doesn't impair mammography  however my perspective Dr. fells that:

"some tell you that the implants under the muscle stay in their position a longer time, but this is the implant, the breast can hang, so this seems to be not too good, to have the implant up and the breast down.  If we put the implant over the muscle, the implant in time (10 to 15 years) will hang with the breast together and this way the implant moves more naturally.  Over the muscle you see some girls running and their implants seem like two rocks on their chest... this is not natural.  But this is my opinion. "

What are your thoughts about over vs. under.  (I'll be getting a Benelli/Donut/concentric, Peri-areolar breast lift as well).

Thanks in advance for your valuable input.

Tamera

46 yr old female; 5'6"; 11/13/08 VSG Dr. Jossart LapSF, SF, CA
SW 213, GW 150, CW 140, dream GW 130 and/or 20% body fat or less
12/22/09 mini face lift; Dr. Hove, Monarch Med Spa, KoP, PA
01/09/10 Reconstructive Surgery Dr. Sauceda, Monterrey, Mexico
U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

Amarylis
on 11/23/09 11:33 pm - Mexico city, Mexico
VSG on 05/20/09 with
I have the same concerns as you...above or under....I prefer the natural look of under....Also a PS told me that doesn't interfere with the mammo...but seems a lot of PS prefer above....

To be honest, the mammo is my major concern...so how does it work when you have it above???

I have so much conerns with all this that I don't even know if I will proceed with the BA/BL eventhough I need one!
playwithzoe
on 11/23/09 11:46 pm, edited 11/23/09 11:49 pm
Apparently if you find a mammographer who knows how to work with patients with implants that really helps.  I think they take extra xrays and possibly an MRI or something.  Not sure if insurance would cover an MRI or not if it is due to plastic surgery.  Anyone know?

U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

wendy_fou
on 11/23/09 11:39 pm - AR
I've read (and my surgeon believes in) putting implants below the muslce specifically to keep from hindering future mammograms. 

I'm pro below!  (And that's where mine got put in!)
(deactivated member)
on 11/24/09 12:55 am - Philly, PA and New Windsor, NY
My PS recommended over the muscle for me.  For the same reasons yours gave you.  He also feels they look more natural than under, and that they will give a slight look of a lift wihtout actually having a lift done.  He told a there is no increased risk of missing something on a mammogram with over the muscle, as long as the technician is skilled with working with implants.  I know there are many proponents on both sides of this though...
MultiMom
on 11/24/09 2:00 am - NH
I'll start by saying that I had over the muscle placement. The reason that I choose this is because :

1. I didn't want a lift and would have definately needed one to take up the saggy skin.

2. Didn't want the extra pain.

3. I am 52 years old and don't feel the need to have perfect or perky girls.

Mamograms are supposed to be easier with under the muscle placement and be a more natural look, Under the muscle placement is also a more difficult procedure for the surgeon. I have very little breast tissue and can see some rippling, but it doesn't bother me at all.

I have added pictures to my profile for my friends to see. Add me as a friend and you can view the before and afters

Martha

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Soaplady
on 11/24/09 11:28 am - Guilford, NY
My surgeon has used both methods. If there is at least an inch of available breast tissue, he places them OVER...and that is what I had. I like the look and cannot imagine them looking right if they had been placed UNDER.

He basically explained things the way yours did. I guess it depends on the breast he is working on.

Soapy

PS...I am NOT looking forward to my next mammo. Thankfully, it is a year away...just had one a few weeks back. whew!
playwithzoe
on 11/24/09 12:19 pm
Oh jeeze you just reminded me I need to get my mammo, I'm about 9 months over due.  So I'm getting a lot of pro over the muscle, I was under the impression the under was the way to go now I'm confused.  Thanks for the feedback!

Soaplady
on 11/24/09 8:55 pm - Guilford, NY
Well, dont just stand there...call and make an appointment!! You dont want to let THAT slide!

Dont be cofused....talk to your prospective surgeon and see what she/he has to say. If you trust your surgeon, just go with what is said.

Good luck!

(I really do like these larger bewbies more and more each day...they fill out a sweater soooo well!)

Soapy
Maureen K.
on 11/24/09 11:37 pm
Hey Tamara,

Sorry I did take my pics down due to something a friend warned me about Sorry-
Just wanted to let you know I got gummy bear implants and went under the muscle
Extremely happy with results.

Best Wishes

If you want to send me your email I can send you my pics if youre' interested.

Cheers

MO

SW - 223  CW- 130 GW- 140  Start Sz 18 Current Sz 4 Ht. 5'6"
 BA- LBL/TT 11/3/09

Most Active