itchy..

everybodys_auntie
on 11/23/09 1:22 am - Canada
Anybody have suggestions for post-op itching??? I would prefer not to have to go the anti-histamine route -- it makes me quite edgy... but man!! I'm crawlin'! :) 

-Allie

Laura the Future
Pin-up

on 11/23/09 1:33 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 07/27/07 with
Post-op from what? Where are you itchy?
If it's itching around the incisions, get used to it! I still feel itchy at times and NOTHING relieves it because it feels like it's deep under the skin :(
HW: 366, SW: 342, GW: 165, Maintaining at: 185 (No longer tracking weight loss. Pregnant and due May 1, 2011!)

There are two primary choices in life; to accept conditions as they exist, or accept responsibility for changing them.

Renee2007
on 11/23/09 1:47 am - Central, FL
Are you taking an antibiotic? If so, it coud be an allergic reaction to it. Do you have any surgical tape on you? Some people are allergic to certain tapes. Not really sure where you are itching.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

(deactivated member)
on 11/23/09 1:59 am
For my post-op itching I used Benadryl liquid.  It does make me sleepy, but it's the one thing my surgeon suggested for the itching and it actually works.

Good luck!

Sherline
everybodys_auntie
on 11/23/09 2:25 am - Canada
Don't think it's the bandaging.. I have the mesh/glue thing going on.. It's just itchy everywhere from below the breasts to... well the unit.:)   The sides are bad; like on the pubic bones?.. I'm assuming it's just healing and tightening.. It's not so mu*****ision specific.. but it is definately the worst along the bottom of my t incision.. the horizontal incision line is a bendie place that seems to be collecting the sweat a bit and therefore the worst itchies..

Did you guys use pads for gauze? That's what my nurse & doc recommended -- laying pantyliners ontop of the incisions until you get the stitches out to protect the wounds from the binder.. I'm looking forward to Friday when I get the glue/stitches out so I can wear a soft t-shirt between my binder and skin!!!

-Allie

heatherp
on 11/23/09 4:00 am - BROOKLIN, Canada
try a light t-short under the binder...mine was irritating me more than the incisions or drains were!

everybodys_auntie
on 11/23/09 4:10 am - Canada
..I ripped off the panty liners.. I put a cotton pillowcase in between my skin and binders and it is helping some.. I'm also have a pretty good batch of low blood pressure today -- making me feel very sick.. So; just when you think you're feeling better.. wait five minutes.;)

trishy
on 11/23/09 7:36 am
I wouldnt take anything for it.  I am getting heat rashing from this damn binder on me 24/7 but I just cut my finger nails super short and I am dealing w/ it.  I go to the doctor tomorrow and I will ask about it.

Where are you itching? You should call your surgeon if its really bad.

Revision Band to Sleeve scheduled 10/29

AbidinginHIM
on 11/23/09 8:22 am - Ontario, CA
I've had that each time with my procedures.  I have a sensitivity to Biosyn - which is one of the types of sutures. So now, they use something else (Caprosyn) for much of the suture and this time they used something else for the final closure that is new and is a barbed suture. I had no spitting of suture and less itching and redness on the incisions.  They did use quite a bit of glue over that from my elbows through the z-plasty and part way down my chest wall. I had 3 inches of red, itchy rash we think from the glue.  The areas that had little glue had no rash or itch.  My surgeon said to work the glue off with some neosporin because petrolium based things break down the glue, and then apply Benedryl itch cream or hydrocortisone cream. Ive also taken the benedryl capsules.  All of that help, but with the compression garments, I find that my skin just gets dry and itchy. Using a good cocoa butter cream really helped to relieve the dry, itchy feeling.  Check with your doctor to see if he thinks it is local to the surgery itself due to suture/glue/bandages or if it is systemic from antibiotic or pain meds and what he feels might help.

HTH,

Jennie

31 lbs lost before surgery
Most Active