Mexico?...think again!

AbidinginHIM
on 11/24/09 12:40 am - Ontario, CA
Good point Leah - and I also know that we can initially be thrilled with results and then feel like things are not what we would like.  It's hard to get great results with just one procedure, or even multiple procedures in one surgery.  Swelling happens and your body has trauma, etc. I didn't realize how much extra skin I still had until almost 6 months after surgery.  That wasn't my surgeons fault either - it is the fault of my over stretched skin.  I can never be made to look like someone who has never been heavy. 

I am so pleased with all my results, but I am also realistic as to what is possible. I still have breast envy, but I'm happy with my breast results.  I don't have fullness at the top - never will.  I would like that, but I don't want implants and I don't want bigger breasts.  There is no way to get them fuller at the top and have that nice round look.  My skin is too stretchy to have implants.  If I did, I would be happy for a few months until they settled and then be unhappy with snoopy dog looking breasts.  I've been told this by 5 plastic surgeons BUT I have one that keeps telling me he knows something different and can do them anyway.  That would be unwise in my opinion.

We need to hear both good and bad experiences.  I'm very leary of all the glowing reports for one surgeon with NO instances of complications reported.  That doesn't happen.  I think people who do come here and report on complicaitons related to out of country care are quickly shut down and others are made to think that if they just go to Dr. XYZ located here that he/she has a 0% complication rate.  That just isn't true, and while people can come home and be thrilled at a few weeks out - that is 99% of us.  But I do know of those who have been here before, had issues and were shut down in reporting them because it couldn't have been due to Dr. XYZ - YOU the patient did something wrong, etc.  Sometimes complicaitons just happen and you need a comprehensive plan and a skilled plastic surgeon who knows what when on inside of you to deal with the issues.

How many who have been out of the country have a complete surgical report to bring home to your managing physician here so that they can know how much tissue was excised, the types of sutures used, all meds used pre/post op, how sutures were placed, etc?  Those things are important too when coming home.  I know that when I went to the ER with infected seromas, the ER attendings were glad to know that they could look up all the surgical records and know what had happened.  The on call plastic surgeons knew how to deal with me until my surgeon got there.  Out of area care is a personal decision. but I think here that no one wants to consider the reality that things happen many weeks after returning home.  Here I sit 3 weeks and 3 days post surgery having seromas aspirated frequently because they fill up and become very large quickly in me.  My primary doesn't deal with this.  I had to see a different plastic surgeon on Thursday because mine was in the OR all day with reconstructing a hand and then a breast.  The person I saw, even though a plastic surgeon with years of training, doesn't see this type of procedure often and doesn't deal with massive WLS patients.  He felt that while he knows how to drain seromas and provide excellent patient care, he isn't the best one to handle this type of surgery.  How would most primary doctors feel?

Just stuff to think about and how defensive this board can be when their favorite doctor or anyone going out of the area for cheaper plastics comes back and reports a less than glowing experience.
Jennie

31 lbs lost before surgery
Leah H.
on 11/24/09 12:50 am, edited 11/24/09 12:59 am - TX
Thanks for your input Jennie. Actually Dr. Aceves did send me home with a complete surgical report. He also found a lesion in my stomach so they had a gastro scope me and sample it and they sent me the pathology slides and their report and recommendations and didn't charge me extra. I also came home with my chest xrays and a copy of all my blood work results.

I can't speak of any plastic surgeons in Mexico but with whomever I saw I would expect a surgery report.

I think it's easy to take any negative feedback personal when you had an amazing experience with your Dr. whether stateside or abroad. 

Today if someone posted a negative experience with Dr. Aceves I would have read it open mindedly but I would certainly hope it was understood that positive experiences would be posted in return. That is a natural progressive discussion whether online or in real life. We all can't agree 100% but a discussion is a give and take of information even if you don't like or agree with what the other person is saying.

Extended Tummy Tuck & Breast Lift W/Dr. Sauceda 12/30/2009

DrL
on 11/24/09 1:54 am - Houston, TX

I am sorry for your experiences, and glad you found somebody to do your revisions. 

Your problem was miscommunication about revisions. This is a frequent question and an important concern for all patients travelling or otherwise !

Perhaps those who have travelled for surgery could share with us the revision policy and travel expense arrangements of their doctors ?

Patients who have had unfavorable experiences will rarely rush to the message boards each night and eagerly post their updates.  One of the most thoughful and insightful individuals I have ever had the pleasure to post alongside left these boards because she felt her PS problems would be a "downer" for others.  I think we need to consider that when we post our responses.

I applaud the decision for an individual to reserve the right to save an individual doctor's name and details of their care for PM.   Those seriously doing research should have no problem getting the details they need via PM.

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Leah H.
on 11/24/09 2:02 am - TX
On November 24, 2009 at 9:54 AM Pacific Time, DrL wrote:

I am sorry for your experiences, and glad you found somebody to do your revisions. 

Your problem was miscommunication about revisions. This is a frequent question and an important concern for all patients travelling or otherwise !

Perhaps those who have travelled for surgery could share with us the revision policy and travel expense arrangements of their doctors ?

Patients who have had unfavorable experiences will rarely rush to the message boards each night and eagerly post their updates.  One of the most thoughful and insightful individuals I have ever had the pleasure to post alongside left these boards because she felt her PS problems would be a "downer" for others.  I think we need to consider that when we post our responses.

I applaud the decision for an individual to reserve the right to save an individual doctor's name and details of their care for PM.   Those seriously doing research should have no problem getting the details they need via PM.

Yes Dr. Lo makes a good request - for those that traveled abroad and had complications, how were they handled and how did you go back and forth for revisions?

Extended Tummy Tuck & Breast Lift W/Dr. Sauceda 12/30/2009

Iam_with_the_Band
on 11/24/09 3:30 am
I have a PCP set up for complications.
I also have a Family Practice Doc who said she'd be more than willing to check on me regularly after I get home.

Dr Sauceda has a very fair policy for revisions.  When we make the choice to go out of the country for our surgery, we must realize that the cost of travel back and forth for revisions or complications will be our responsibility. We have to be realistic.  Things happen.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

valencianahaley
on 11/24/09 6:08 am - weatherford, TX

Thank You,Doctor L!

JSIL
on 11/24/09 6:26 am
DrL
on 11/24/09 6:33 am - Houston, TX
"If you are unhappy, then who cares if you are hurting his business?? "

The doctor might care, and his attorney might care too.  It's called defamation of character.

The information can still be shared and I'm all for it, but a public message board isn't the best place.

Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
JSIL
on 11/24/09 6:38 am
You are right, that is why I deleted my post right away. Sorry!

DrL
on 11/24/09 8:26 am - Houston, TX
Ok....but don't be sorry !  We all have a first amendment right to speak our minds, thankfully. 

But if a published statement you make is not 100% true, and somebody feels it damaged their reputation or practice, then lawyers come...and win or lose, it's expensive.

Patients with unfavorable results have had a hard time already. Loss of esteem, loss of trust, everybody asking questions, confusion, etc.  I see a lot of patients treated elsewhere seeking revisions.  One of the reasons I post here is to help others avoid pitfalls that can get them in that situation.

Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Most Active