Binder Question

Laugh Out Loud
on 11/21/09 7:44 am

Thrilled to have had my LBL on Monday and I am having normal recovery.  I have two binders from the surgeon and one I bought from Kohl’s.  On the days I’m really swollen and the surgeon’s garment is super tight and uncomfortable, is it OK to switch to the lighter Kohl’s one?  Or is there a reason to pretend I’m being laced into a turn of the century corset, unable to sit up or move or even breathe for a specific amount of time? 
Thanks for your replies, Cindy

katiekat412
on 11/21/09 8:06 am
I wish I could fully answer your question, but you have to wear the tight one. I swore they gave me the wrong size, but swelling or not, for the last siz days, I've been shoved into my sausage casing! It's criticial to help swelling and to help your skin reattach.

I feel for ya!

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

Laugh Out Loud
on 11/21/09 8:58 am
I'm all for reattachment!  It remains on then.  Thanks for your reply,
Cindy
Redhaired
on 11/21/09 8:31 am - Mouseville, FL
Cindy -
The binder is suppose to fit you snuggly.  It is not suppose to cut off your circulation or cause you pain.  If your binder is seemingly too tight have your plastic surgeon assess the situation.  Because too tight a binder can do just as much (if not more) damage than not wearing a binder.

red

Laugh Out Loud
on 11/21/09 8:56 am
Thing is, this is the same binder I wore yesterday.  It was snug and comfortable yesterday, but today is beyond tight!  Swelling is all I can think of, but I shall suck it up and deal!  Thanks for your reply.  Makes sense.
Redhaired
on 11/21/09 11:48 am - Mouseville, FL
Yes the binder will feel different at different times depending on the swelling.  I am with Renee on the T-shirts.  I bought some boy's undershirts and wore that under the binder.  Just be sure if you do wear an undershirt you get one that is thin enough and tight enough that it does not bunch up under the binder -- as that can cause issues as well.

Red

Renee2007
on 11/21/09 10:51 am - Central, FL
I hated the surgical binder and couldn't wait until I could move on to the girdle type garment I purchased from Kohl's. You can adjust the tightness, CIndy. You want it really firm against you but not cutting off circulation. It helped me to wear a tank top undershirt under mine. I couldn't stand the scratchy feel of it against my skin. Once you move out of it you'll love the difference in the store bought one. They are so much softer on your skin.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

Laugh Out Loud
on 11/21/09 11:40 am
Thanks Renee!  I'll keep with the one the surgeon gave me, and I'm thinking it will be more comfortable when the drains are out - hopefully next week. 

(deactivated member)
on 11/21/09 1:41 pm - San Jose, CA
YIKES!  This hasn't been mentioned to me (or I haven't paid attention).  I'm having my LBL a week from Monday.

Can someone post a picture of themselves wearing one so I can see what one is?  I just sent an email to Agha asking him if he provides them.

More things to freak out about -- I will go buy men's undershirts!  I assume something that is mostly cotton would be better than something smooth but non-absorband like UnderArmor?
M B.
on 11/21/09 10:30 pm - Warrensburg, MO
I bought the "wife-beater" type as Moosie suggested and that has worked great.  My doc gave me these think pad like bandages to put over the incisions then put on the binder, but that just did not feel good.  The cotton t-shirt then the binder feels the best. 

I'm sure your Dr. will provide.  I have gotten two so far and there is another type that he will give me when I get a little further out. 

This is what mine looks like.  I had an anchor cut TT so it comes up very high.

Marilyn  
Weight at Consult - 247 / Goal weight - 145 
Current weight 158
BMI - 24
Height 5'8"
Anchor cut tummy tuck on 11/12/09

Most Active