Prepping for surgery, what did you do?

Fran575
on 11/22/09 8:25 am - Tacoma, WA
I am scheduled to have my hernia repaired along with a anchor tummy tuck on January 19th. I would like to know what others did to get themselves in the best possible shape for their surgery. Such as: up their protein intake, exercise more, etc, etc.
I am 18 months out and currently weigh 137-139 (depending upon the day), and still eat like the good RNY'er I am.
Also, what did'nt you do that, in hindsight, you wish you had done.
I do have my own fears,as do others, about not having a good recovery. And I just hope to put the odds in my favor.
So......good or bad.......any advice is worth reading.
Thanks so very much,
Fran

LinR
on 11/22/09 8:44 am
I'm having surgery 1/7.  One of the PS I consulted with said he like to get his patients to 150gm protein per day.  I thought I would start trying to get in 100gm per day and two weeks before up it to 150gm.  Sometimes I don't fit in all my calcium and iron so I've started to make sure I get all of it in every day.  I'm also going to make sure I don't slack on my exercise so I can be in the best physical shape I can be.

Look forward to hear what others have to say.

thanks for posting this topic.

Lin

Iam_with_the_Band
on 11/22/09 9:55 am
Lin,
I'm having a heck of a time getting my protein in!
I was doing well and then I read my protein drink package and found that it has Vit E in it!  I had to stop drinking it! I hate protein drinks, normally.  So I'm eating my protein and working really hard to get my 150grams in!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

TammyGirl1
on 11/22/09 12:54 pm - Oakley, CA

CRAP'OLA, CRAP'OLA, CRAP'OLA !!! I didn't realize Vit E was in most RTD protein drinks. I just looked and it has 25% daily Vit E in each one and I am drinking 2 ad day...Now I have to find a drink that doesn't have it.
UGH!

TT, BL/BA, Lipo, FG/Booty, and small TLcompleted with DR Sauceda
SW 201 / GW 134 / LW 129 / CW 137.6
http://tammygirlsjourney.blogspot.com/

wen
on 11/22/09 8:26 pm - Manchester, NH
Check your surgeon's instructions.  Mine did not say I could not have ANY Vit E..he said over a certain mg.  Not sure if you like Unjury but I love the Vanilla shakes (add a tiny bit of splenda for a treat).  About 30 grams protein per serving (including the milk) and I am pretty sure no Vit E.
portmaster1000
on 11/23/09 9:50 am - Hickory, NC
Amazon has a good deal on Optimum Nutirion Gold Standard Whey (vanilla).  Tastes great, no Vit E, dissolves great.  Sign up for regular delivery and get 15% off the price.

Best whey I've tried.
Leah H.
on 11/22/09 12:05 pm - TX
Have you tried Pure Protein Bars and Matrix Shake Mix? I like both and I am fairly sure they don't have vitamin E. I'll look tomorrow. There is no way I could eat 150 g of protein. EEK.

Extended Tummy Tuck & Breast Lift W/Dr. Sauceda 12/30/2009

M B.
on 11/22/09 12:21 pm - Warrensburg, MO
I focused on exercise and strengthening my legs so that I would not have trouble getting up and down.

Marilyn  
Weight at Consult - 247 / Goal weight - 145 
Current weight 158
BMI - 24
Height 5'8"
Anchor cut tummy tuck on 11/12/09

LinR
on 11/22/09 6:22 pm
Thanks for the tip about VitE.  I'll check my protein mix today.

Lin

wondering
on 11/23/09 10:57 pm - Canada
Uped the protein.  Took 2000 mg Vitamin C.  Strengthen my legs (so i could squat - not allowed to sit after LBL).  Cleaned the house - wish I had cleaned it more.
Good luck
L.

Most Active