chance of dying?

BigV
on 11/20/09 2:38 pm - UK
I found this website:  http://www.dryoho.com/dr-yoho/clinical/deaths-cosmetic-surgery.cfm  , but I am not sure how accurate it is?

The risk is obviously heavily dependant on age, general health status, level of surgical and medical skill on offer during the operaiton..... and many other things too.

My biggest fear each time I go under is  actually waking up mid operation; like  a certain horror movie!     I can just about mentally cope with the possibility of dying as I figure it would be painless and I would know nothing about it anyway; although I guess that is a pretty warped way of thinking about things.

Next week I am booked to have my 9th plastic surgery in about 22 months, so I hope I'm not pushing my luck or tempting fate!
misseye
on 11/20/09 9:13 pm
Wow!  Thats alot of surgery!  Good luck and congrats.  I think I would be not so worried about dying, but I have 2 small kid and cant imagine taking big risks that I dont HAVE to take, ya know?  Fingers crossed it turns out to be very minor degree of risk.
Missy

misseye
on 11/20/09 9:59 pm
thanks, the link is interesting!
Missy

kidneedonor
on 11/20/09 9:34 pm
The risk is higher for a knee replacement or hip replacement... all surgery elective as far as I am concerned.. you choose to get it or not..

Starting Wgt 238  Goal Wgt 145  Current Wgt 133
RNY 09/09/08 by Dr. Kruger
Full anchor TT on November 27, 2009 by Dr. Laurence Rheingold
Breast Reduction and Breast Lift May 24, 2010 by Dr. Laurence Rheingold

www.myspace.com/kidneedonor        
misseye
on 11/20/09 9:59 pm
I hope by asking, I didnt offend people.  It feels like I did.  It is something that I dont have a good grasp on.  I realize you could die...you could also die driving to the grocery store.  I hoped there was alot more info that really addressed the risks of having plastics to help me make my decisions.  I think it is really hard for me to guess the risks involved, I wish I had more info.  No way was I attacking people's choice
Missy

MistersMom65
on 11/20/09 10:05 pm - TN
Found this link.
http://www.smartplasticsurgery.com/surgery/risks.html
States 1 in 57,000.

Plastic surgery procedures performed in accredited surgical facilities by board-certified plastic surgeons have an excellent safety record. A 1997 survey1 based on more than 400,000 operations performed in accredited facilities found that:
  • The rate of serious complications was less than half of 1 percent.

• The mortality rate was extremely low – only one in 57,000 cases.

• The overall risk of serious complications in an accredited office surgical facility is comparable with the risk in a freestanding surgical center or hospital ambulatory surgical facility.

BL & Facelift w/Brow & Eyelid      10.08.08
Abdominalplasty Scheduled          10.21.09

misseye
on 11/20/09 10:10 pm
thanks so much!
Missy

Leah H.
on 11/21/09 1:09 am - TX
I think a lot will depend on your Dr. too. Like my WLS had  a,03% complication rate. So there are a lot of factors. This is more invasive so it seems riskier.

Extended Tummy Tuck & Breast Lift W/Dr. Sauceda 12/30/2009

(deactivated member)
on 11/21/09 1:56 am
Hi Misseye --

I think this is a GREAT question, and I don't know why some of the responses this morning are reading out as somewhat irritable -- this board is usually not like that, but maybe people are giving blunt reactions this early on the weekend.

I ASKED THE SAME QUESTIONS ABOUT MORTALITY!!!  Unfortunately I can't find the page now ... but I did, I promise you I did.

Here was the general response:

1)  Yes, plastic surgery is risky, BUT it is less risky that more invasive procedures.  The risk is not ZERO, but it approaches zero.

2)  Relative to WLS, cosmetic/plastic/reconstructive surgery is MUCH less risky, because patients are usually
     a)  normal weight;
      b)  restructuring skin, and not internal organs;
      c)  anesthetized using "lighter" medications than are required for more serious procedures; and . . . .
      d)  healthy to begin with -- Usually patients undergoing other procedures have serious medical conditions that are being treated surgically -- hence a higher mortality rate.

Referencing an earlier poster -- I actually DO consider that I might die on an airplane flight, and I always ensure that my papers are in order before I do so.  To some people this is overdoing things, but not to me. 

Prudent people consider the risks, and you are wise to do so!

Most Active