chance of dying?

misseye
on 11/20/09 11:41 am
Ok, sorry this is crazy...

What did your doctors tell you the chance of dying from your surgery was?  I know the answers will vary quite a bit, but I am very curious.
Missy

Iam_with_the_Band
on 11/20/09 12:05 pm
Anytime you have a surgical procedure, you have the chance of dying.  Blood clots, excess blood loss, sensitivity to anesthesia are just a few reasons people die during surgery or days after.
If this is something that you're very concerned of - as of course, you are - we all think about it before undertaking such an event, take the time to talk to your surgeon and see what his policies and procedures are for minimizing your risk.

Afterwards, sit down with your significant other and consider all the risks and benefits of your procedure. 

It's not crazy Misseye, it's normal!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

misseye
on 11/20/09 12:23 pm
I know there is a risk...I just wonder where it is.  2%, 1%, less? More?  I really have no idea and havent found any info online that helps answer this question.  I am seeing a surgeon for a consult in a few weeks, but I am very curious. 
Missy

Iam_with_the_Band
on 11/20/09 12:35 pm
I see.  You're looking for stats.  I'm sure the percentage increases with multiple procedures and other factors, age, weight, family history, past medical history.
I haven't seen anything specific to plastics related to death rates.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

BigCityGirl
on 11/20/09 1:57 pm - San Diego, CA
If you're worried about dying during a cosmetic surgery procedure, then don't have the surgery.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
misseye
on 11/20/09 9:10 pm
Seriously, are you joking me?  You shouldn't be concerned about the risks associated with surgery, and if you are, then you should skip it?  Is this what you are saying?  I happen to have 2 small children and wouldn't in a million years consider doing anything that could seriously put their mother in harms way.  I ask because I want to know, but also because my husband is most concerned with this aspect and I hoped to be able to put his mind at ease.

Sorry, but this is maybe the most absurd comment I have heard in a long time.  Who isn't worried about dying when having ANY surgery?  We aren't talking about having a tooth extracted here!
Missy

BigCityGirl
on 11/20/09 11:24 pm - San Diego, CA
Maybe that came out wrong.  What I was trying to say is that the risk is so low that it's hardly measurable.  It's like taking a flight - do you ask yourself whether you are going to die before getting on an airliner?  That was my point. I didn't mean to dismiss your concerns.  I'm sure the death rate is a whole lot lower than that of WLS.

I have children too.  I was confident after my surgeon did my PreOp that he wouldn't operate on me if I was a surgical risk.  I'm sure if you find a board certified plastic surgeon you have nothing to worry about. 

misseye
on 11/21/09 7:46 am
Thanks for clearing that up.  I didnt know if it was really small or not honestly.  I know it was something like 2% for the vsg.  My sister in law was just diagnosed with cancer and we are all so happy to finally find out that it is a highly curable form.  She has a 98% chance of cure...meaning her chance of dying was the same I had for the surgery.  I know 2% isnt alot, but it might be too much for me if its something I can live with (like extra skin).  But I am so happy to see how safe it is.  I imagine if you get in good health, find a great doc and follow instructions, your chances are even less. 
Missy

BigCityGirl
on 11/21/09 1:02 pm - San Diego, CA
The surgical risk probably varies with different types of plastic surgery but I know it's way less than 1%.   In the two and a half years that I've been posting on this Plastic Surgery Forum, I know of only one death - a lady who was SMO - weighing over 400 pounds (after WLS) with all kinds of medical conditions who had a 65 pound pannis removed.  She knew her surgery was very high risk but she was immobilized by her pannis and medicaid paid for the surgery.  She died within a month of surgery from complications of massive blood loss.  I recall hearing that she had something like 47 units of blood in the days after her surgery.  Her's was an extreme case. 

Unless you have underlying medical conditions that put you at risk, you'll do great.
misseye
on 11/21/09 9:34 pm
Thanks.  That is such a sad story.  I plan to get in the best possible shape before doing it.  Its sort of the deal I have with my hubby.  He will be supportive of what ever procedures I decide on, and I will keep taking care of myself :)
Missy

Most Active