Drain Question

Ica
on 11/19/09 8:11 am - Anchorage, AK
Okay ladies.  I've been a lurker on this site for quite some time.  I am 23 days post op from an anchor cut abdominoplasty and bilateral brachioplasty.  I still have a drain in my abdominal incision, and it doesn't seem to be slowing at all, and is nowhere near the cutoff my surgeon has for removal.  I'm draining at least 60 ccs per day, sometimes 70-80, and they want it down to 20 cc before pulling.  Any of you have a long wait on your drains as well?  Just feel like I'm healing super slow!
sonnieN
on 11/19/09 8:32 am - grand rapids, MI
I had to wait 6 weeks for my final drain to come out. Hated it the last 2 weeks but it's better than getting a seroma.

Sonya
Ica
on 11/19/09 8:48 am - Anchorage, AK
Well it's nice to hear I'm not alone!  Thanks for replying. The last week or so I've been so frustrated with the dumb drain!  Although overall, I'm INCREDIBLY happy with my results (I'll post pics later).  I just look forward to feeling sorta "normal" again. :)  
DrL
on 11/19/09 9:02 am - Houston, TX
Thoughts and opinions vary on this.  I am to the point where I use 2 drains for an LBL, and they all come out no matter the drainage by 10 days, max 2 weeks.  I keep an ultrasound in the office and have learned a lot about how the body handles fluid collections. 

The 20cc thing is what I use too, but it is an irrlevant and basically useless number.

I think the drain may sometimes "sit" right on top of a lymphatic vessel and drain like a waterfall.  Besides, most of my patients wont tolerate them past 2 weeks !
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Soaplady
on 11/19/09 10:41 am - Guilford, NY
I like the way you think, Dr. L. Keeping it in for so long is just debilitating!!

It is amazing how people differ. I had all mine out (2 one day,3 another and then the last 2) by day 10.  Others go home after 2 weeks and still have one or 2.

My output was only really active for the first few days.
They slowed down quickly. What causes that...who knows. But I have to agree with your comment about the drain sitting on a lymphatic vessel. That just makes so much sense.

BTW, dont blush, but you are really cute!

Soapy
DrL
on 11/19/09 11:08 am - Houston, TX
Soapy, thanks.  But, are you still on pain meds, or perhaps sipping a margarita by the pool ?

Happy (tube-free) healing either way !
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Soaplady
on 11/19/09 12:54 pm - Guilford, NY
LOL...ah, no and no. Only Ibuprophen since day 3 and dont I wish I had the Margarita!!

It just seems wrong to be in the land of agave and NOT have a margarita! What is wrong with this picture??

Sorry pal, you're still cute!

Soapy
661jennifer
on 11/20/09 4:20 am - bakersfield, CA
Ok so you take them out at the latest 2 weeks post op? Will that possibly increase a patients chances of developing a seroma??? I want mine out within two weeks but fear It will hinder my recovery. Any thoughts would be great. I am preop currently but want to learn all that I can.
"People are healed by different kinds of healers and systems because the real healer is within." - George Goodheart

Anjail
on 11/20/09 4:55 am - Detroit, MI
I to wanted mine out at 2 weeks but nope that was not the case. I was draining way too much. Having the drains don't really hinder you recovery however they are just a pain to deal with. I'm glad they did stay n because I have not had to deal with the seroma issue however I have had to deal with swelling. You will swell regardless if you have drains or not.
DrL
on 11/20/09 10:21 am - Houston, TX
Yes, all mine come out for LBL average of 9-10 days, 6-7 days for TT. The rare ones that are still putting out a lot of fluid at 2 weeks are pulled.  I worry about infection, skin irritation, and the drains forming a tract if left in too long.

As I mentioned, the "20cc rule" is not based on any kind of fact.  I've had  anumber of drains fall out over the years, or otherwise need to be pulled early and thee seromas do not seem to follow predictably.

Remember, there are some docs who do not use drains for TT.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Most Active