I swear I am not whining

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/09 12:01 am - San Jose, CA
I'm guessing my arms are still heavy enough that internal stitches would not be enough to hold the skin and internal tissue together -- the stitches are REALLY tight.  The suture lines in my armpits in particular feel very rope-y and thick.  I sure wish the stitches would go away soon.

Interestingly, my husband says almost all of the hairy part of my armpits (granted, I'm not very hairy to start with) are gone!  I wonder if that means the sweat-producing parts of my pits are gone too?  And if so, is that a good thing?
Jupiter6
on 11/21/09 3:11 pm - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
Less shaving, less sweating-- yep, it's a perk!

The ropey-ness will lessen over time, and the stitches will start falling out in a week or two--I think the ones in my armpit held on to the bitter end-- almost 2 months.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

Melissa M.
on 11/19/09 12:21 pm - Seabrook, TX
Comparing ourselves to others is the worst thing we can do.  I know because I do it all the time.  I see how tiny some of these women are and the beautiful hourglass figure they have (even before PS) and I know I am just not built like them.  Or when I see women much older than me have better and much less loose skin preop than I ever had.  Or how about my weight loss stopping at 7 months with my DS and never making it to goal....Get the picture?   Shoot, I would drive myself crazy and into a major depressed state if I dwelled on this. BUT, I have to be grateful for where I am now and how much better I look, hourglass figure or not.  Healing is so individual for everyone.  I've seen women in their early 20s have their incisions open up 5 inches and have to pack them and then women in their late 50s heal with no problems whatsoever!  Be patient and just know you WILL heal and your incisions will look as nice as Renee's....maybe not at 4 weeks, but soon!!

Melissa
(deactivated member)
on 11/19/09 1:45 pm - San Jose, CA

I hope I'm not dwelling on actual comparisons (at least not most of the time) -- it's more that I'm dwelling on the frustration with how S-L-O-W the recovery is, the fear that the LBL is going to be so miserable that I will lose my freakin' mind, and that the whole process is going to take SO long to recuperate from that I am not going to be able to start looking for work when I think I should (February).

And really, I think a lot of it is bluster to cover up being scared.

Kathie L.
on 11/20/09 2:30 am - Castaic, CA
Hi Diana,

I totally agree with Melissa about comparing ourselves to others. I think this is all part of our "being human". I've always compared myself with my sister who was thinner, prettier, etc. Then there were all of my pretty petite cousins and friends. I have always been the "baby Huey" of the bunch.

I had brachioplasty 1 year ago exactly. When the doctor undid my bandages I thought my arms were too small....Popeye arms! My upper arms actually were so skinny compared to the lower part of my arms. Since I really couldn't tell the doctor to put some extra skin back (didn't want it either) I started working out with weights harder after I healed. Today I LOVE my arms and think that I have Michele Obama arms! I don't even mind the scars.

Be patient and let your body heal. You've been through so much. Don't worry about getting your entire house in order. That can come. Today the most important thing for you to do is relax and let your body heal. Believe that it wil!

Kathie
P.S. I'm 58 years old but feel 40!
California Kathie
RNY - 10/07
Rt. Hip Replacement - 4/08
Upper Body Lift - 11/08 (Dr. Timothy Katzen)
Lower Body Lift - 3/09 (Dr. Timothy Katzen)
(deactivated member)
on 11/20/09 2:43 am - San Jose, CA
I sure wish I felt 40 NOW -- I could use the extra energy.

I hate exercise.  HATE HATE HATE it.  For the last nearly 2 years, I have been exercising, with a PT or with my daughter, usually twice a week.  I still hate it -- but I even find myself stressing that I am losing all the strength that I built up with all that hard work.  I feel the strength leaking away with all this inactivity.

Man, I am a head case, aren't I?  I seem to be determined to be unhappy with my good fortune to have the time and money to do this, and to be focused on the negative.

I wonder if smoking a little herb is contra-indicated?  Does it have nicotine which would interfere with healing?
Kathie L.
on 11/20/09 2:56 am - Castaic, CA
Hi Dianna,

To me, exercising is NOT an option. I worked too hard in order to get where I am today (4 surgeries in 18 months). I spent one year trying to get my insurance to cover my RNY surgery, attending classes etc. I learned that WLS was just another tool. We were given many tools in the class including drinking 70 oz. water, eating 70 g. protein, exercising, taking vitamins, getting support (classes or on-line). I use EVERY tool I have. Today exercise is something I do without thinking because I CAN!!!! Two years ago I walked with a cane and couldn't walk from my stove to the sink without using it. Today I can and do walk 2.5 miles every morning up a hill with gratitude that I am able to do this.

If you're able to walk, be grateful because there are people out there (I was one of them) who was not able. You have the ability to change your attitude and be grateful for all of the wonderful gifts you've received. Take time; you'll get there. I trust and know that you will.

Kathie
California Kathie
RNY - 10/07
Rt. Hip Replacement - 4/08
Upper Body Lift - 11/08 (Dr. Timothy Katzen)
Lower Body Lift - 3/09 (Dr. Timothy Katzen)
WildeWoman1
on 11/20/09 5:21 am
Hi There ~

Rene's arms do look fabulous - so wait until week 4 & see how yours look?

For 2 weeks out your arms look great!! You should focus on how much better YOU look now then you did prior.  You are so brave for going down this path.

My hat is off to you!!

Linda
(deactivated member)
on 11/20/09 1:13 pm - San Jose, CA
Thanks -- you are of course right.  But Diana's the name, and whining's the game!

I'm just frustrated and short on patience -- and getting scared of how much worse the next procedures are going to be.  I sure wish someone would tell me the arms and face were the worst ... but I don't think that's going to happen. 
Jupiter6
on 11/21/09 3:27 pm - Near Media, Pa- South of Philly, NJ
If I had to rank them, it'd go like this: (1 being easy, 10 being "Oh Holy Hell, get me a gun!")

Abdominoplasty:
Pain 9
Recovery 9

Brachioplasty: 
Pain: 6
Recovery 6 (One two day period of burning pain at about a month out)

Breast reduction:
Pain: 4 
Recovery: 3 or less. Literally painless almost immediately-- or it  may be that the rest just hurt so effin' badly I couldn't feel it.)

Lower bleph:
Pain: 5
Recovery: 6 or 7-- had trouble with dryness and bleeding

Upper bleph: Cakewalk.

Lower face lift:
Pain: 7
Recovery: 6-7 . My ears felt like they were wrapped in barbed wire for about a month but I improved daily and well.

I am supposed to have my backside lifted next summer but probably can't afford it. You'd think I'd be depressed, but in actuality, I have spent every vacation for the last 3 years on a goddanmn OR table, so maybe waiting a year'd be better. I absolutely could not have handled any more than I had in June-- my arms, chest and abdomen resulted in an almost 13 hour surgery as it was, which is just plain crazy.

Getting it all over with is great, but lady, I am giving it to you straught-- you are in for some formidable pain. If you can accept that, drug yourself into submission, and keep your eyes on the prize--  you'll get there. I had excrutiating headaches for the first two weeks and cried all the time-- but found an imaginary dot on the horizon I could just stare at, and that seemed to help. And when it didn't help, I dug into the pharaceuticals and slept like crazy.

"Oh sweet and sour Jesus, that is GOOD!" - Stephen Colbert  Lap RNY 7/07-- Lap Gallbladder 5/08--  
     Emergency Bowel Repair
6/08 -Dr. Meilahn, Temple U.  
 Upper and Lower Bleph/Lower Face Lift 
12/08 
     Fraxel Repair 2/09-- Lower Bleph Re-Do 5/09  -Dr. Pontell, Media PA  Mastopexy/Massive 
     Brachioplasty/ Extended Abdominoplasty 
(plus Mons Lift and Upper Leg lift) / Hernia Repair
      6/24/09 ---Butt Lift and Lateral Thighplasty Scheduled 7/6/10
 - Dr. Ivor Kaplan VA Beach

Total Cost: $33,500   Start wt: 368   RNY wt: 300  Goal wt: 150   Current wt: 148.2  BMI: 24.7

Most Active