Not able to use pain medications...help!

Mom4aCure
on 11/17/09 2:07 pm - Central, VA
I had LapBand surgery almost 2 years ago and am now ready to begin the plastics phase.  The problem is, I have an inner ear disorder and am extremely intolerant to any narcotic pain medications.  I've had 7 surgeries in the past and never used anything other than Toradol (briefly for 2 of my surgeries) and Tylenol for the rest.  I'm looking at having a LBL, Breast lift and Augmentation, and Brachioplasty (not all at once).  Any suggestions on how to deal with pain management?  Would it be possible and not completely unbearable to get through recovery without use of narcotics? 
CA_GirlRocks
on 11/18/09 2:05 am
I had a TT on Monday and although I am doing well, I cannot imagine i would be without the pain meds!  I have a fairly high pain tolerance, but I don't know if I would be able to rest without them.  I have no experience with Toradol though and have no idea how strong it is and how well it works.  They have me on vicodin.
trishy
on 11/18/09 3:58 am
I had a pain pump for about the first 4 days that helped with mine.  I had a anchor TT BA/BL.  This has been the most difficult recovery that I have ever had.  Its different for everyone but I would not recommend doing plastics without good pain meds.

Revision Band to Sleeve scheduled 10/29

cleos_mom
on 11/18/09 6:08 am - phila., PA
I had a TT & hysterectomy together last year and a inner thigh back & butt lift in the spring and I don't take Narcotics for the pain . I ust tylenol becaise Narcotics make me so nauseous I want to die. I must have a high pain tolerance but I can't stand the nauseau. I am having a Brachioiplasty & lipo on Monday
The inner thigh surgery was the worst out of them all. I will let you know how I make out
Susan
Mom4aCure
on 11/19/09 5:59 am, edited 11/19/09 5:59 am - Central, VA
Thanks for all the input guys...I'll talk to my plastic surgeon soon and see what we can work out. I definitely think the pain pump will be something I need!
caroline2622
on 11/23/09 5:27 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
My PS will be giving me an anti nausa pill before surgery.    

You may want to ask for patches... there are non narcotic patches

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
Most Active