How did you react after seing your new body

Alana A.
on 11/17/09 5:40 am - Dresser, WI
I am scheduled for my torsoplasty and breast lift on December 1st and I am all over the map as far as emotions go.  It's like I've been on a life long race and now I'm about to cross the finish line and am just not sure what to do next.

So my question is how did you deal with your new body and new look?  When you spend your whole life trying to loose weight and finally do and then direct your focus on re-shaping your body and that is complete, what do you focus on next?  I am totally excited about the surgery but kinda mourning the "fat girl" at the same time, it was what had defined me my entire life.

Any type of feedback would be great.

Alana

trishy
on 11/17/09 5:43 am
Well I first saw everything after about 24 hrs post op, before swelling kicked in.  I was fascinated with my belly button being so tiny.  Still cant get over it.  And I have a curvy shape too... Still having a wide range of emotions with my recovery and swelling issues..plastic surgery is definitely an emotional roller coaster.

Revision Band to Sleeve scheduled 10/29

MistersMom65
on 11/17/09 6:25 am, edited 11/18/09 8:49 am - TN
I mourned "Fat Girl" too. After my Facelift/Breast Lift last year I kept saying " I look like a Kewpie Doll!" And I REALLY DID. I was facinated by my new face & breasts...But I had a wide array of emotions from loving it to wanting to go back to the safety of my "wall of fat". I was always the "Fat, Happy,Joking Girl" emphasis on FAT(plus one armed!). I'm happy now with WHO I am and still wish I were 20 again(44 ). I'm happy and the journey has been rough but I'm happy....
EDITED: I realized today that everytime I passed a mirror or window I would STARE at myself...I realized I really AM looking tiny. With my jeans & boots my legs looked longer & slimmer than I've EVER looked. (I'm 5'2" with NOT long legs). I'm kinda afraid I'm edging toward vain. LOL

BL & Facelift w/Brow & Eyelid      10.08.08
Abdominalplasty Scheduled          10.21.09

(deactivated member)
on 11/17/09 7:17 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi!
I'm not exactly what is included in a torsoplasty but I'm thinking it might be the same as an anchor cut tummy tuck.
I was afraid to look at mine (I'm a wuss about seeing my own incisions), but the nurse made me look and I was so glad I did.  I love my new flat tummy and hour glass waist!!!!!!!  I did not mourn the loss of the fat girl, the only regret I have is that I did not take control and loss the weight 10 or more years ago....a lot of wasted time I'm trying to make up for.

Mixed emotions pre AND post op are normal....it's kind of a roller coaster ride but in the end a grand one!

Best wishes on your journey.
Ruth
lizzybear
on 11/17/09 8:45 am, edited 11/17/09 8:48 am - Olympia, WA
I saw my tummy for the first time after 48 hours (when I could take my first shower) and I was partly happy that I could tell that the wrinkled mudslide of skin was gone and it was smoother, but was sad that I was so swollen and felt like the Michelan tire man since I'd heard so many others started out with a flat tummy right after surgery.

This past Saturday (2-1/2 weeks) I woke up, got ready for my shower and caught sight of myself in the mirror (don't know why I still pretty much avoid mirrors), and started bawling my eyes out when I saw indents on my sides and a flatter tummy.  I have never had the hourglass-type indents on the sides - always pretty square looking.  I spent most of the day peeking at it, crying, peeking, crying.  But then by Saturday night I was throwing up from not feeling well and now I'm all swollen and sore again, so it doesn't look so good anymore so I'm back to the happy that it's smoother, but sad that it's like a big ball.

So, the feelings can change within hours back and forth.  Pretty normal!

Highest 323 / Surgery Day 289 / Current 165 - RNY 10-27-07, Hit Goal 08-18-08. Tummy tuck 10-28-09 - UW Plastic Surgery Residency Ctr, Breast/Arm Lift w/Dr. Sepehr Egrari in Bellevue, WA on 5-22-13!

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.  Unknown

LinR
on 11/17/09 11:08 am
Alana:

I totally understand what you are talking about.     Like you, weight and body image have been a big focus in my life.   I was just talking to my hairdresser tonight about the same thing--wondering , after plastics, what the next bit of drama in my life would be.

I think with all the changes that have happened in my life in the last 10 years, I am ready to take a rest from the drama and sit back and enjoy my new body and my new look.  I read the book Twenty Wishes by Debbie MacComber??spelling???.  It got me thinking about all the things I would like to do or accomplish in my life.  With my weight and body issue not taking up so much energy,  I feel kind of free to pursue other aspects of my life, who I am and who I want to be.

Good topic for discussion.

Thanks for posting

Lin

Anjail
on 11/17/09 11:33 pm - Detroit, MI
I must have lost time or something because I literally stood in the mirror and looked at myself for about 30 min. I didn't know who I was looking at. It could not have been me could it. My emotions just ran wild. Never in my entire life did I have a flat stomach without love handles and now in a matter of a couple hours in surgery I woke up totally opposite of the way I've been for so long. For me I don't miss the old fat girl at all. I still find myself looking in every mirror that I can find. Having Gastric Bypass and Tummy Tuck was the best decision I have made in my life. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. Pain and all. You are going to love your results and the new you.
M B.
on 11/18/09 9:20 am - Warrensburg, MO
Alana,

I am now 6 days out.  Right now, when I look at my stomach, I think, well it's better than it was before.  I also tell my self that it should just keep getting better as the swelling goes down.  I still have other body issues (back and breast) so I try to remember that I'm a work in progress .

It took me years to get as out of shape as I was so it may take a while to get back to more of a "normal" shape.  I don't think I will ever be able to not think about my weight and body shape as an issue.  I think I will get to a point where I'm comfortable and confident with myself, but I always want to maintain with conscience decisions about food and exercise! 

Marilyn  
Weight at Consult - 247 / Goal weight - 145 
Current weight 158
BMI - 24
Height 5'8"
Anchor cut tummy tuck on 11/12/09

DrL
on 11/18/09 10:47 am - Houston, TX
You may want to talk with Tanya, who's on Big Medicine right now.  She had a lot of body image issues after WLS and PS.  She looked great but still had a negative self-image and other issues.  Its a common issue and does not go away anytime soon. 

Many patients look much better than they feel they do, and preparing yourself for this before PS is helpful.
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Leah H.
on 11/18/09 11:01 am - TX
One of the best things I ever did before I had WLS was go to a therapist. It really helped and if I need to I will continue talking about it after PS. Body image issues don't go away because we look good. Many beautiful people feel ugly and fat and they certainly aren't. I think it's a fine line and to a degree very natural but it can cross over into - if only I fixed this etc. 

Extended Tummy Tuck & Breast Lift W/Dr. Sauceda 12/30/2009

Most Active