Revisions!

(deactivated member)
on 11/17/09 9:08 pm
When I decided to have a tt and bl/ba done I thought I would have this one surgery to take care of both procedures and that would be it.  Now, I am regular OH reader and participant so I know about scar revisions and little corrections here and there, but I also know people who have had cosmetic surgery without being a WLS patient.  I have never heard them mention (I've asked several) a revision after their surgeries. 

Well, yesterday I had my 12 weeks post op visit with my surgeon and he brought up having a revision done to my lower abdomen and sides.  He also stated he wanted to lift my breast some more.  Of course, I am going to have it done, but I was hoping I wouldn't need anything else done after the first surgery.  I am actually happy with the way I look now, I just  hoped the swelling would take away the puffiness of my belly, but he showed me were it actually need to be pulled tighter.  When I asked him why does people who did not have WLS seem to get their results right the first time he explained that when you loose so much weight so quickly the contouring procedure is more complex.  I really trust this doctor and I am glad he wants to give me the results I expressed when I first met him.

Anyway, he suggested we wait until I am six months post-op before we move on to phrase 2.  So I scheduled my surgery for the first week of March, which is my Spring break from Grad School.  Oh, he also stated my revision is free, just pay the hospital and the anesthesiologist.

Did any of you think it would be fixed the first time around or did you know there was going to be a part 2? (I know everyone don't need a part 2 but many of us do)
Sherline
wondering
on 11/17/09 9:45 pm - Canada
I expected everything to be done right the first time.  But when I read on this board about so many people having revisions, I asked my doc about it and he said it sometimes happens.  So, I guess it's a very common thing.
Good luck in March.
L.

(deactivated member)
on 11/17/09 10:26 pm - Garden Grove, CA
RNY on 08/10/04 with
I expected it to be right the first time also. I have to say, my tummy tuck is perfect....I do have a belly button that is closing and he is revising that Friday. My arm lift not so perfect.....the scars widened and made the lift drop. I am having lipo to debulk the fat off the arms on Friday and we will pray the arms shrink up without too much excess skin. If not, we will have to revise the scars! WHAAAA!!!

I feel the way you feel too......I want it to be over....and so does my wallet! HEee hee!
Mendee M.
on 11/18/09 12:14 pm - Mulvane, KS
Revisions is another reason I chose the PS I did. None of the other ones I consulted with offered even a slight discount in the event a revision is needed.  If I happen to need one, I only have to pay for a plane ticket.
~~Mendee~~

10 pounds below goal!                  
Melissa M.
on 11/18/09 12:32 pm - Seabrook, TX
I think some tweeking or revisions after PS is not all that uncommon for WLS patients.  We just don't have the same skin elasticity as non WLS patients.  I think most experienced surgeons will tell you this.  Our skin has a tendency to loosen up with time, at least for some.  I think it also depends on age, how overweight you were and for how long, etc..  There was someone who posted a couple of weeks ago about how her skin had loosened up in a couple of areas a year later and she hadn't gained weight.  It just happens unfortunately.  I know of some women have had  their skin tightened more when they have their stage 2 surgeries.  That's why my surgeon likes to wait 6 months to give your body and skin time to settle in and allow the swelling to go away so he can have a better idea if or what needs to be tweeked. 
Ms Shell
on 11/19/09 1:32 am - Hawthorne, CA
I was hoping to not but the reality is after being overweight for a long period of time your elasticity of your skin is very very different then someone who never had a weight problem.  Sucks but it happens, which is why I discussed revisions as well!

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Most Active