Abdominoplasty Scheduled For November 23rd - ADVICE!

4Synergy
on 11/16/09 2:55 am - Chester, VA

Hello Team,

I am trying to get prepared for the big day - mentally & physically.  Please share as much info as you care to.  My primary concerns are those things that I should do BEFORE the surgery.  I deal well with pain - whatever they give me for pain - I will be taking in normal intervals - hurting or not! lol 

I have read that I should stay on the liquids - drink lots of water (which I do already) and try to take in protein as much as possible.

Tell me about the drains --- bothersome are they?  what is going to be the best "around-the-house" wear  for me during this time?  My mom suggested loose fitting pajamas with a small line of elastic in the waste? Thoughts on that?

Do I need to buy any type of "under-garment" before the surgery --- i.e., body shaper?
Share, Share, Share & Thanks for being there.

Melanie

dalybenitez27
on 11/16/09 3:30 am - Orlando, FL
Congrats on your upcoming surgery!!!

Ok, what I did that defintely helped was working out like a crazy woman so that I was physically strong and it makes a huge difference.  I would defintely focus on back exercises to make your back strong.  That was the one thing I did not do that much of and I regretted it because you walk hunched over.

The loose pajamas with the elastic in the waste is also a good idea, that's what I wore pretty much the entire time I was home.

The drains weren't horrible since the entire area was numb, but they do get annoying.  Make sure you do NOTHING the first two weeks so that you can have them removed as soon as possible.  Your drainage levels have to be at a certain number before they will removed them and if you are moving around a lot, you will drain more.  You want to heal as quickly as possible so you need lots of rest even if you feel fine.  Trust me, I did too much too soon because I felt fine and got yelled at.

I have been using the binder that they put on me at the hospital.  I tried to wear a spanx instead of the binder...big mistake, not enough support.  I'd be interested to hear what other people think about that.

I bought a recliner on craigs list for $50 and am so glad I did.  I don't sleep on it but when I'm at home, it's great to relax in.  The position is very comfortable while you are healing.  some people sleep in it, but I have been able to sleep in my bed with pillows under my legs.
MistersMom65
on 11/16/09 3:55 am - TN
I actually wore loose sweat pants(draw strings) with wifebeater between skin & binder with big shirt on top. The drains only bothered me twice...and that was only because I accidently pulled them..OUCH...other than that no problems. I got mine out at 1 week & could shower after that. The toilet seat riser I was advised to get was a LIFESAVER. And I rented a Lift Recliner & that also was a GREAT help. I had my TT on Oct 21st & spent first 2 1/2 weeks sleeping & resting in it. I'm still wearing the Stage 2 Garment from Marena I was given by Dr. I LOVE IT! Spanx does not help me yet. Not enough support.

BL & Facelift w/Brow & Eyelid      10.08.08
Abdominalplasty Scheduled          10.21.09

wondering
on 11/16/09 5:07 am - Canada
Nightshirts.  I had the LBL (circumferential abdominoplasty) and was not allowed to sit.  Nightshirts make squatting over the toilet easier. 
Chlorox wipes to clean off the toilet seat:-)
A silk scarf (to pin the drains to when you take a shower - a towel gets too heavy). BTW that first showers lasts only about 2 minutes - don't be alone - have someone with you.
Lip balm - I don't know why my lips were driving me nuts!
Protein shakes - when you have no appetite and you know you SHOULD eat something, it helps to have them handy.
A phone directly beside the bed or couch (wherever you will be spending your time because friends will call to make sure you're okay and it's a pain to get up).
Pen and paper (to write down measurements from the drains).
Bendy straws (easier to drink from when you're lying down)
Extra pillows (behind your back, under your knees, whatever makes you feel comfortable).
Magazines & Remote control for the television. (It's a while before you can lift the laptop to your knees - longer still to be able to sit comfortably at the computer for any length of time).
Oh - a stool softener - start taking it as soon as you get home - it will come in very handy in 5 days or so.
Best of luck,
L.

cleos_mom
on 11/16/09 5:52 am - phila., PA
I did buy a raise toilet seat they are only about 20.00. drawstring p.j.'s ot sweatpants are great
(deactivated member)
on 11/16/09 8:15 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Hi! 
Drains are annoying but not too much trouble and not painful (unless you were to tug on them).

I just posted this on another thread so here goes.........

Here are some of the Pre and Post OP tips I can share.......(keep in mind I'm not a medical professional I'm only sharing my personal experiences).

PRE-OP
-Cook and freeze in individual pkgs meals.  THey will be easy to re-heat post op.  Thiings like Lasagna cut into indiv portions, meatballs, chilli, soups, meatloaf (cook and cut into indiv slices, wrap and freeze), pasta w/spinach, chicken breast (spice some with curry or italian dressing to make a variety), bake a couple of potatoes cut them half and wrap them....makes it easy to pull one 1/2 out to add to a meal.
-Get your hair cut, your nails done, etc...it will be a while before you can do it again.
-Move the things you use on a regular basis down from high shelves in the kitchen/bathroom so you can easily reach them
-Figure out if you can sleep in your bed with pillows propping you up or if you need to use a recliner.  If in a recliner put 1 or 2 fitted sheets over the recliner.  This will not only make it a little more comfortable on your skin but it will absorb any bodily fluid leaks
-Pay your bills (utility, mortgage, credit cards, etc) even if they are not due till the week after surgery....you just may not be able to get to the post office or to log on and take care of it.  Better to get it over with if you can.
-Go shopping and stock up on things you use a lot of (I filled the pantry with 3 weeks worth of things like protein powder, fiber cereal, oatmeal, prunes, etc...

Supplies you need.....
-A toilet riser for when you get home (#1 must have!)  You can get one at CVS for $25.   FYI - if you are staying at an after care facility call ahead to make sure they have a toilet seat riser for you in your room.
-Stool softners and laxatives.  You may need the laxative the first 2-3 days to get things moving...then you can use the softeners.
-5x9 gauze pads and regular or long sanitary pads.  I used the sanitary pads on my sides where the extra thickness helps tremendously!!
-A back scratcher...you might get very itchy from the pain meds and you won't be able to reach everywhere.
-Moisturizer for the rest of your body.  I don't know about you but I get very dry from the anesthesia.
-2 pairs loose pajamas with button down top or a button (or snap) down house dress.  (you'll want to have a change of clothes 'cause you'll probably get some blood and stains on the first pair...
-a lanyard or something to hang your drains from, especially when you shower( I used a sash type belt around the house and a piece of string in the shower)
-take a pen and notepad with you....it helps to keep track of things like drainage amounts, when you take pills, how you feel, questions you have for the Dr, etc etc
-Socks..........my feet hung off the recliner chair and out of the blanket and got COLD!
-Take some pre-mixed protein drinks and bars
- 3-5 MENS T-shirts (the tank top type...aka wife beater t-shirts).  You will want to use this under your binder otherwise the binder rubs your skin raw!  I put on the gauze/pads then pull the undershirt over them and them put the binder or compression garment on.  Feels so much better!
-I took a couple of sudoku puzzles and a book because I planned on staying 4 or 5 days in aftercare...I did do some puzzles on day 2 and 3.
-Some sort of sucking candy (sugar free or whatever you can have).  REALLY helps me to with the dry throat and sudden tickle that makes me cough.  OMG you do not want to cough after the Tummy Tuck!!!
-a camera.  If you are into documenting everything (like I am) you'll want to get some pictures...
-Your toiletries....shampoo (the place I was at did not have shampoo!), soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, mouthwash, chapstick, moisturizers (I tend to dry up after surgery...not sure if its the shock to the body, the anesthesia or the pain meds but I get drier than normal so I take lots of moisturizer). 

POST OP -
Swelling is expected.  How much varies with each individual but you can expect to swell some.  The good news is it is temporary!  It may last 2 months, 3 months, or 6 months even a year.......again it's different for everyone.
There are lots of things you can do to reduce the swelling....
Theses are things I'm doing to keep my swelling down and it is working, I have very little swelling (thank heavens).

-Avoid salt...especially hidden salt in canned food and pre-packaged frozen meals, luncheon meats, hotdogs, pickles, etc.
-Drink more water.....drink more than the normal 8 cups or more than the amount you normally drink.
-Drink 3-4 cups of plain green tea with a splash of lemon (I do this and it works)
-Elevate your legs as much as you can.  Instead of watching TV in the livingroom chair I lay down in bed and put my legs up on 2 pillows.  The key is getting the legs up higher than your heart.  Having your legs up in a recliner is not going to do much......they are not elevated enough....you need to get them up
-Use an ice pack. (after being on my feet for hours...like a 4 hour shopping marathon....I'm a little sore so I use an ice pack).
--Wear a compression garment (with legs that go at least to your knees).  This did the trick for me. When I started to swell in my thighs and butt after my Tummy Tuck I got into a compression garment and within 3 days most of the sweling was gone.  The few days I did not wear it for a couple hours I could see and feel more swelling.  I've been wearing the binder on top of my compression garment.  I'm 6 weeks out but still wearing them and it's keeping me flat!
-Walk, but not too much too soon.  Don't over do it like I did.  At week 5 post-op I jumped on the treadmill full speed and pulled a muscle.  Now I can't do anything!

Hope this helps a little....I'll post more as I learn more.

Best to you on your plastics journey.

Ruth
portmaster1000
on 11/16/09 9:18 am - Hickory, NC
Moosie/Ruth - YOU ROCK!!!

If this board has stickies - this post needs to be stuck!

Thank you, thank you, thank you. 
(deactivated member)
on 11/16/09 9:34 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
You are very welcome........ :-)
terrijp
on 11/17/09 12:03 am
Melanie,

I'm new to the PS Forum and my surgery isn't scheduled until December 11, so I'm of no help to you.  Just wanted to say Good Luck, and I'll be keeping a good thought for you.

Terri

LBL/BL 12/11/09; BL Revision, Quad Bleph 07/16/10. Larry H. Lickstein, M.D., F.A.C.S.

It's not how fast you go, but that you're moving in the right direction!

CA_GirlRocks
on 11/18/09 2:30 am
Congrats Melanie!!!

I just had my TT on Monday and am happily at home.  Yes, make sure to take your meds, no matter what!  The drains are not bad (I have 2 - one on each hip).  They are very flexible and can be tucked into your pants (I am living in my older work out pants that are a bit larger and have more room).  I have not yet taken off my binder that the Dr gave me.  I am curious as to how low most people's binders go as mine actually stops above the incision line.  I haven't had trouble getting on/off the toilet, but I can see where a riser would be helpful.  

One of those triangle pillows would be very helpful as I am pretty much sleeping at that angle in bed anyway (just using pillows for now).  I also have 2 extra pillows under my knees.

For the hospital, I always bring lotion and chap stick as my skin gets very dried out.  I would also suggest ear plugs (why people are so loud at night in a hospital, I'll never understand), and even an eye mask.  

I think everything else was covered above!  Bets of Luck!

Most Active