Night mare comming true EXCESS SKIN

Lisa A.
on 11/15/09 4:37 am
I am Post breast Augmentation post 6 mos and the girls are settling in nicely and post 1 year panni removal and even tho the scars  on panni are not as nice as one one hope I have flat tummy and starting to like how i look in clothes and was even thinking thigh were next, On wed my world came to a crashing blow I recieved  yet another life altering news  that morning  my doc called me at 8:50 am and said I have  your results of brca gene testing  and she said I am sorry to have to tell u this over the phone but I know u been waiting almost a month  for results but u did test positive for brca 2. Breast cancer gene. 
 So out go the new twins and  hoping to have what is called prophylactic bilaterial Subcutaneous Masectomy(nipple aerola and sensativity remain) as well as a removal of my ovaries uterus and cervix. My sisters are battling ovary fallopian and breast cancer. WRITING ON THE WALL for me had lead me to remove implants and do reconstruction surgery same time with new implants. Question in case I am asking to to anyone with nipple had to be moved up  by crecent cut or just cut and moved what happened to the nipple sensativity or breast reduction due to excess skin becasue I know I am gonna have tons of excess skin ? I just now got back my nipple sensativity on my rt breast while the one on left had no problem when the implant was placed. I know they are not the same surgery but implants and moving nipples is in same area of plastic surgery. I am wondering how is excess skin removed due to weight loss breast reduction. I am worried I will lose my nipple sensativity   I am just asking opnion i see the surgeon on tuesday but I need food for thought and  ANY feedback helps thanks everyone
Lisa
dec721
on 11/15/09 5:25 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
I'm so sorry you had to receive this news, but it is so much better to know this than to find out down the road that you actually have cancer.  Thank goodness for modern medicine!

I had a breast reduction in 2003 with nipples moved up (left on their stalks, I guess!), and my sensitivity is just fine.  One took longer to completely recover than the other ... maybe a year ... but they were fine before I knew it.  And not to put too fine a point on it, but if you had to choose your life or nipple sensitivity, there is absolutely no question which to choose.  Best wishes for this phase of your journey, and let us know how you do :-)       --Dorothy 

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

DrL
on 11/15/09 11:06 am - Houston, TX
Wow.  Sorry for the news, and may I ask if you had known of this family history before the first breast surgery?

BRCA was not even considered when I was in medical school, and I doubt it was even discovered ! Thankfully, you can now be proactive about making your choices. 

Your general and plastic surgeons are going to have to answer your questions, but you essetially are a candidate for a wide variety of reconstructive options to restore your breasts, and the law dictates full insurance coverage too.
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Lisa A.
on 11/15/09 12:14 pm
Dr, Dr L  
I did not know of any family history of a possible  BRCA gene except had a aunt that died of breast cancer 20 years ago  and that had always  been disclosed  but  pretty much was looked upon as spordiac  breast cancer  and 2 weeks post BA my sister called  to tell me she had stage 3 breast cancer and 2 mos after that my other sister called to tell me she has ovarian stage 1a and fallopian tube stage 3c cancer and it was only then brca testing was offered to me after my one sister tested positive and the other did not, My mother had her ovaries removed at the age of 29 so no doubt played a part of her probally not getting cancer but we are not even sure if it came from dad or mons side all I know is I am brca 2 posistive, I have a 750 cc implants and i am thinking damn do they really make bigger implants ? I have no idea where to even find a plastic surgeon who maybe perforn the type of surgery I may want to have and living in a town were plastic surgeons are limited i may have to go to Los angleos and their are thousands but my Aetna ppo is limited to who is in net work for plastic surgeons otherwise i will be stuck paying out of net work fees and I cannot afford that. I just want someone who does a beautiful job and still be in network but how do I know they are any good as reconstructive surgeon?
Thanks Dr L

Lisa
661jennifer
on 11/15/09 2:01 pm - bakersfield, CA
Hello I live in bako as well. Have you thought about Dr Mitts, Or Dr Shah???? I am sorry to hear that...if you ever want to talk over a protein bar or skinny latte I'm here just pm me K.
"People are healed by different kinds of healers and systems because the real healer is within." - George Goodheart

661jennifer
on 11/15/09 2:02 pm - bakersfield, CA
Forget the doctors I recommended this is probably out of their scope of practice.
"People are healed by different kinds of healers and systems because the real healer is within." - George Goodheart

DrL
on 11/15/09 12:42 pm - Houston, TX
That is some really bad luck, but again, you are moving in the right direction and thankfully you have not been diagnosed with a malignancy !

Your family history with your sisters is the real giveaway, and I emphasize this point for others reading this, as I have sent several patients over for testing after simply questioning them prior to "routine" breast surgery.  Amazingly, this is overlooked by doctors more often than one would hope !

You have a lot of options for your reconstruction.  There are multidisciplinary cancer centers that deal with your type of case all the time.  You need a team of a general and a plastic surgeon, and possibly an oncologist and medical geneticist, to help you.

UCLA has a program, and it is called a NCICCC program, which means that the team is recognized by the National Cancer Institute as a comprehensive care center. 

http://www.cancer.ucla.edu/Index.aspx?page=213

My training at M.D. Anderson undertook this same approach, and I would hope there will be no insurance obstacles for you. 

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
(deactivated member)
on 11/15/09 6:12 pm
cleos_mom
on 11/16/09 1:57 am - phila., PA
Hi Lisa
. I am so sorry to hear of your news, at least you got tested for the gene before the cancer set in.
I had a complet hysteectomy last year when I had mY TT because I has cervical cancer and thank God they got it all for me. Wishing you the best please keep us posted
Susan
(deactivated member)
on 11/16/09 7:38 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Sorry to hear you got this news but so glad you seem to have a very good plan in place.
I wish you well and hope that things work out the best for you.

Most Active