too young for PS?

aphephobicfriend
on 11/14/09 11:09 am - Ocala, FL

hi everyone,

I've been looking into a tummy tuck or just a panni removal but it seems like I'm not a good candidate if I'm planning to have kids. I guess i'm not really planning to have kids, but keeping the option open- i'm 22 and not married. My loose skin is really a hindrance, and i'd actually like to have a flat stomach while i'm still single... do you think that recommendation still applies if there's going to be a long time before kids and its just a maybe in the whole mix/

ann

As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly!
dwpersel
on 11/14/09 12:12 pm - Fredericksburg, VA
You might want to consider what I have copied and pasted from the OH PS Procedure page.

The Best Candidates for Abdominoplasty
The best candidates for abdominoplasty are men or women who are in relatively good shape but are bothered by a large fat deposit or loose abdominal skin that won't respond to diet or exercise. The surgery is particularly helpful to women who, through multiple pregnancies, have stretched their abdominal muscles and skin beyond the point where they can return to normal. Loss of skin elasticity in older patients, which frequently occurs with slight obesity, can also be improved.

Patients who intend to lose a lot of weight should postpone the surgery. Also, women who plan future pregnancies should wait, as vertical muscles in the abdomen that are tightened during surgery can separate again during pregnancy. If you have scarring from previous abdominal surgery, your doctor may recommend against abdominoplasty or may caution you that scars could be unusually prominent.

Here is the link to the page I copied from.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/plasticsurgery/cmsID,10828/mode,content/a,cms/

Hope this helps.

Diana

BrookeK
on 11/14/09 12:14 pm - Arlington, TX
Hi Ann,

My daughter had VSG in Feb 2008.  She will be 26 in December.  She is wondering the same thing.  She is not married yet and no kids, but hopes to have kids in the future.  She is thinking about just having the panni removal for now, to get rid of the lose skin, then later (post kids) go back for the full tuck (if needed). 

If you haven't been to any surgeons, you should schedule a few appointments (mine were all at no charge) and see what the surgeon says.

I say go for the panni removal for now...no muscle work.

Just my opinion!

Good luck in your decision.

Brooke
 I am 5'4" tall

Mendee M.
on 11/14/09 12:57 pm - Mulvane, KS
 I agree with Brooke. I have read many posts where ladies have had their panni done first, and still looked good after having a baby. If the loose skin is a problem, I say GO FOR IT!! 
~~Mendee~~

10 pounds below goal!                  
BigCityGirl
on 11/14/09 1:29 pm - San Diego, CA
I would go on some free consults with board certified plastic surgeons and see what they say.  They are in the best position to give you good advice as to what you can expect in the event of a pregnancy in the future. 
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
apryldee
on 11/14/09 2:40 pm - houston, TX
when we were at the oh conferece and dr. lamonico was speaking during those break out sessions he said he would do a tummy tuck on someone younger but if they wanted kids he just wouldnt tighten up the muscles. but like people said just look around do consults see what they say.

SW 280/ SW 266/ PPW 175/ CW 185

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal picture

shoegirl1023
on 11/14/09 10:21 pm - Solon, OH
I totally agree with everyone else's replies, but would also like to add Live for today and go for it, who knows when you will have kids it could be 10 years down the road so do today what will make u feel better.

Good luck

JOANNE 
OH Support Group Leader
My local support group meets the 2nd Tuesday of each month - please message me for further information

We are on a continuous journey without a destination

aphephobicfriend
on 11/15/09 8:25 am - Ocala, FL
thanks guys, it was very helpful to get some perspective
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly!
Most Active