Reasons to go out of the country?

Mendee M.
on 11/15/09 10:23 am - Mulvane, KS
Although not my deciding factor, Dr. S is going to be quite a bit less for me too. I think part of that is because he will do my BL and BA at the same time, where as the surgeons here don't like to do that if you are also getting your arms done. Probably due to the length of time under general anesthesia that is used here. I also like the fact that Dr. S does not use general anesthesia. My biggest deciding factor is the personal attention received from Dr. S, and that he has some experience with WLS patients. When I asked the local PS's how many WLS patients they had operated on, I got very vague answers.

I also like that I can converse with several of his prior patients. And yes, I believe they are REAL people! 
~~Mendee~~

10 pounds below goal!                  
DrL
on 11/15/09 11:34 am - Houston, TX
Excellent surgeons are available all over the world, and luminaries such as Dr. D'Assumpcao and  Pitanguay are examples of non-U.S. surgeons.  The costs can be quite a bit lower out of the states, too. 

You may want to ask those who have gone that route a few questions (and these are good to ask no matter where you are contemplating your PS) :

What are the requirments for a doctor to become "board-certified"  in the U.S. versus elsewhere?

How do you find out if the surgery facility being used is credentialled or certified ?

What level of care (i.e. what kind of facility will your surgery be conducted in) will you have ?

How did you arrange for your followup care after you are home ?

Does your health insurance cover problems that could occur while you are down there, and after you are back ?

What is the difference in warranties for implants or medical materials used when you are out of the country ?

What is the doctor's policy on revisions and travel expenses if you need another trip to surgery at a later date ?

If you view some posts made just today, you can see that there are a patients who have concerns that require their doctor's input many weeks and even months down the road. 

As with any surgery, making a decision based on good information will help ensure the right "fit" for you.

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
sherry R.
on 11/15/09 1:19 pm
Jessica,

I must say this, with your blog that you posted.. and the statement you made earlier about it being too much information is a load of crap. There is never enough information.. Your blog is extremely insightful and should be considered Plastics 101! a must read for anyone considering plastics from a patient's view.. Kudos on your blog. I honestly belive that it should be one of the sticky posts at the top of this board. because of the insight alone. BRAVA JESSICA BRAVA
Your faith is stronger than you think.  - my Mom
Weight: initial-320, , surgery- 291.2 now -205 had baby july 1, 2011 Regained to 242 (due to unemployment)  t goal weight _ what ever it ends at.
(deactivated member)
on 11/15/09 3:20 pm - Haleiwa, HI
Thank you so much!  You are way too sweet!  I started my blog in hopes that it would help people become aware the surgery out of the country is a possibility.  It may not be for everyone, but it is an option.  Great Dr's can be found everywhere, and I know from personal experience that Dr S is an amazing, caring, and excellent surgeon.  The care I received in Mexico was fantastic, and I am so glad I went.  I have put a lot of hours in to my research, and I am so happy to hear that it has helped other people.

Jessica
jan R.
on 11/15/09 3:27 pm - PA
I would say I did all my plastics out of the country, but make sure you have at least your PCP on board with you in case you have any problems post op.  I ended up at 2 months post op with a very bad infection with a fluid build up.  If you don't have someone on board with you nobody wants to help you in the US because you are a liability...
I went thru lapband in Mexico 4 years ago and just had to have a revision due to my band being totally blocked.  I had to have a surgeon friend of mine pretty much go out on a limb and as this doctor to take me as a personal favor.  He did and I am very thankful.......
Just keep that in mind.......but don't let this discourage you just make sure you have a good support system just in case!
jan

(deactivated member)
on 11/15/09 6:32 pm
(deactivated member)
on 11/15/09 9:55 pm - Garden Grove, CA
RNY on 08/10/04 with
I think I am 100% convinced that trust in your PS is irresplaceable. I really do trust my PS 100%. He is so very honest, tells me like it is and doesn't sign me up for procedures that he thinks won't really make a difference.

If I hadn't found him, I might have looked out of the country! :-)
Most Active