OK - I'm gonna ask . . .

M B.
on 11/15/09 12:37 am - Warrensburg, MO
Day 3 and still waiting for a BM.  I've been eating small amounts of high protein foods (egg, yogurt, cottage cheese etc)  I've taken 2 stool softners and 1 laxative - still no action.  Any one else care to share your experience - I think I would feel less bloated if I could go.

Marilyn  
Weight at Consult - 247 / Goal weight - 145 
Current weight 158
BMI - 24
Height 5'8"
Anchor cut tummy tuck on 11/12/09

thafatchick
on 11/15/09 12:55 am
Drink more water and go walking.  

If that doesn't work and this is unusual for you, call doctor.  Maybe you have some kind of obstruction.  
ThaFatChick
totalfreedom
on 11/15/09 2:31 am - Northern CA
my surgery was on a monday, I finally went on a friday.  I was taking stool softeners, that didn't work.  Finally took milk of mag, that did the trick. But OUCH! I continued the MOM for a few days, then everythig got back to normal. 

By that time the narcotics from the surgery and the morphine from being in the hospital was out of my system.  Narcotics really effect BM's.

Don't let it go to long..... 

Kelli
5' 1, 221pds to 120pds, BMI: 42.5 to 22.8, Size 22WP to 2P.  
Dr. Agha-Newport Beach, CA:  
12.29.08:TT/LBL/UTL/BL/Butt Aug!
 5.10.09: Face/Neck Lift,Implants,lipo, lower eyelids,fat transfer

Bonnie M
on 11/15/09 2:59 am - Sioux Falls, SD
Not unusual at all.  Start taking MOM.
DS Facts
on 11/15/09 3:06 am
I didn't get one for about 5 days and I was eating protein and such. I took stool softeners every day, then took a laxative. I was not constipated, just not ready for a BM yet. It happened on day 5.
AbidinginHIM
on 11/15/09 3:13 am - Ontario, CA
Part of the problem is the pain meds.  I try and remember to take a stool softener whenever I take pain meds.  I had my arms done on a Saturday and it was Thursday before I finally had a BM. The meds really slow things down.
Jennie

31 lbs lost before surgery
(deactivated member)
on 11/15/09 7:39 am
This is perfectly normal post-op.  First of all, you didn't eat the day of surgery, and possibly were laxative-cleaned beforehand -- so there's not much in your gut  to begin with.  Coming out of surgery for the last few days you haven't eaten much.  Add to that pain-meds, and that you're not moving around as much as you usually do. 

Bingo -- Constipation.

After about a week, I whined to my surgeon who said essentially:  Whatever it is that normally makes you go -- coffee, olive oil, bran, whatever -- do it.  And don't worry, because eventually everyone poops.

He was right!

(I didn't see which surgery you had -- but if it was LBL or TT, then you don't want to be bearing down much anyway.  Sorry about the bloat!)

M B.
on 11/15/09 7:45 am - Warrensburg, MO
lol "eventually everyone poops " 

Thanks for all the input  -  sounds like in a few days things should be back to normal.

btw I had a TT and your right I don't want to do any heavy pushing right now

Marilyn  
Weight at Consult - 247 / Goal weight - 145 
Current weight 158
BMI - 24
Height 5'8"
Anchor cut tummy tuck on 11/12/09

Beth C.
on 11/15/09 8:00 am - Woodstock, MD
I am 3wks. post op. I was also doing 3 stool softner and 1 laxative a day. Ended up using a glycerin enema which worked. Sorry to be so graphic, but it was nice not having to push too hard with using the enema.
Beth Clark

lizzybear
on 11/15/09 8:37 am, edited 11/15/09 8:37 am - Olympia, WA
For the first few days after my TT, I was only drinking water, protein drinks and eating yogurt and cottage cheese - so nothing bulky, therefore didn't really have anything to go with.  When I added in some veggies and meat a little at a time, I figured I'd be going.  Nothing for days - then I tried one of Charming's tips.  Straight plain black coffee always upsets my tummy and makes me go within 30 minutes.  So I downed a cup, nothing, downed another and it worked!  Doesn't work with my sugar-free, fat-free peppermint paddy latte for some reason - only works with straight black strong coffee!

Highest 323 / Surgery Day 289 / Current 165 - RNY 10-27-07, Hit Goal 08-18-08. Tummy tuck 10-28-09 - UW Plastic Surgery Residency Ctr, Breast/Arm Lift w/Dr. Sepehr Egrari in Bellevue, WA on 5-22-13!

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.  Unknown

Most Active