Preparing for Surgery ~ Things to Do

WildeWoman1
on 11/14/09 8:21 am
Now that I have made the deciscion & picked the place - I need to prepare for having major surgery!!

Please help me put together a list of things to do & take.

I am looking at compression garments - I know one comes with the package that I am purchasing & I will need a 2nd one. Any place you can recommend?

I have read that I should load up on protein prior to surgery - do you mean lots of chicken or cottage cheese or is there a pill you take? How long before surgery - weeks - months?

What about bruising - I am having lipo on both my waist/hips & arms - any medication/herb or sauve I should use?

What about exercise - should I begin yoga or something to get me in a little better shape??

Anythings else you can think of that I should get or do to prepare?

Thanks again for all the help!!
Linda

BarbD
on 11/14/09 8:56 am - IL
VSG on 12/11/07 with
1)  When I had SmartLipo on my legs I bought a second compression garment from the doctor.  Maybe it was more expensive but it was convenient and the right size.

2)  For all my surgeries 10-14 days before surgery I have two protein shakes a day. 

3)  I didn't take them but if I recall corretly,  Arnica and Bromelain were mentioned often in my research.  Instead of Bromelain I had fresh pineapple. 

4)  You probably won't want anyone touching your body for awhile after lipo but at about
2 months post lipo I had lymphatic drainage massage (VERY gentle massage).

5)  I went to Hatha Yoga class twice a week before my lipo. But it was something I'd been doing for months.   Haven't been back since my lipo because I've gone from one
 surgery to another and could not/cannot lay on my side, arms, etc.

Congrats and good luck with your lipo, Linda.

Barb

(deactivated member)
on 11/15/09 6:41 pm
WildeWoman1
on 11/14/09 11:23 am, edited 11/14/09 11:23 am
Any recommendation for treating the scars? Vit. E oil or any natural products orally?

Thanks!
Linda
BrookeK
on 11/14/09 12:24 pm - Arlington, TX
OK...I admit I have not done a lot of research.  I am having an arm lift Friday the 20th.  I know about protein, but what is Bromeline?  How much fresh pineapple?  What are these for?

Thanks,
Brooke
 I am 5'4" tall

(deactivated member)
on 11/15/09 6:42 pm
BrookeK
on 11/15/09 10:38 pm - Arlington, TX
Jodi,
Thanks so much for that link!  Very helpful!

Brooke

I am 5'4" tall

BarbD
on 11/15/09 7:48 pm - IL
VSG on 12/11/07 with
A couple of quotes/info on Bromelain.  Another one of those "does it really work" things?
I love fresh pineapple so I didn't mind having some as a snack once a day.    

"Bromelain is typically extracted from pineapples and made into capsule or tablet form." 

Why Do People Use Bromelain

• Surgery and Injuries

There is some evidence that bromelain supplements may reduce swelling, bruising, inflammation and pain after surgery and injury. In Germany, bromelain has been approved for these uses by the Commission E since 1993. Large, well-designed studies are needed, because not all studies have confirmed these.

dec721
on 11/15/09 5:52 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
Just saw my plastic surgeon the other day (I had a brachioplasty on July 10).  He is top-notch and said the newest research is that rubbing vitamin E oil on scars does nothing ... after I've been rubbing it on for months!  The things he says actually work are cocoa butter and aloe vera.  But wait until your surgeon gives you clearance to put stuff on your incisions before you start slathering anything on.

Stay away from supplements that thin your blood.  Vitamin A is one that comes to mind.  Aspirin and ibuprofen as well.  Get off that stuff as far in advance of surgery as you can.

Eat healthy!  Real food, lean meats and healthy protein, veggies and fruit, low-fat dairy, complex carbs, nuts, etc.   All the stuff we know we are supposed to eat but don't necessarily do, heh heh.  And drink water like a fish.

And absolutely yes! start exercising!  Walk, swim, anything that keeps you moving.  The better shape you are in pre-op the easier your recovery will be!

Best wishes on your journey :-)         --Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

wondering
on 11/15/09 9:41 pm - Canada
I had LBL on November 2nd and here are some things I found extremely useful:
A good friend who has already been through it
Vitamin C before surgery helps to lessen bruising (I took 2000 mg per day)
Lip Balm!!!
Nightshirts instead of pjs so you don't have to pull anything down (before squatting over the toilet)
My surgeon's email address
A bolster pillow for under the knees (or two - one in each room)
remote control for the tv
magazineS
Bendy straws
Protein shakes (for when loss of appetite hits)
A supportive husband.
Good luck.
L.

Most Active