traveling out of state for surgery

Leah H.
on 11/12/09 7:01 am - TX
I can imagine. Are there any residency programs you can check into? WIsh I could help.

Extended Tummy Tuck & Breast Lift W/Dr. Sauceda 12/30/2009

(deactivated member)
on 11/11/09 12:27 pm - Haleiwa, HI
Fawn,

My husband and I are stationed at Schofield Barracks in Hawaii, and I get my care at a MTF.  I have not had any problems and even had my labs done there.  I would ask your PCM before you make your decision.

Jessica
(deactivated member)
on 11/11/09 9:23 pm - Philly, PA and New Windsor, NY
I have spoken to my doctors there, and I had to sign a bid old legal document before they would schedule me for surgery there, and there was a whole section of it that talked about plastic surgery outside of the MTF.  It was VERY clear.  That doesn't mean that my doctors there couldn't treat me if they wished, since Tricare is kinda out of the loop when it comes to MTFs, but they could refuse me at ANY TIME.  I think you have been lucky so far, but I know I couldn't afford to chance that.
(deactivated member)
on 11/12/09 3:09 am - Haleiwa, HI
That is horrible Fawn!  I had my lapband and my revision to sleeve done at Walter Reed, and now we are in Hawaii. I didn't have to sign a thing!  They also have a large weight loss surgery department here in Hawaii as well.  They do plastics at both places, but Tripler only does a few a year during Christmas time, and I have no desire for someone that only does a few a year to work on me.  I would have had to pay money too, and it wasn't that cheap.  I have been lucky because I haven't had to go in to see them at all anyway.  I took my last drain out by myself and my nurse friend removed my stitches because I was too lazy to drive in 45 min to Tripler. 

Leah H.
on 11/11/09 11:41 am - TX
I was looking at a Drs in DFW - just 3 hours away. I could have been released the same day or the next depending on my surgery. I would have needed to stay in town for a couple of weeks (or be able to come back and forth) for followups and to get my drains and stitches removed. I also looked at and talked to a Dr in Utah. I have recently checked into Houston as well.

Regardless of where you go even if it's stateside I would suggest you plan to be within driving distance or stay 2 weeks unless you have a PCP that is willing to follow you at home with the plastic surgeons guidelines.

Fawn I think with Sauceda you're in the clinic at least 24 hours. They move you to the hotel but the Dr. and nurses come to you. In Utah I would have had to go back to the Dr. And since I was traveling I wouldn't have been able to do that on my own. It was a great clinic and a great cost but the logistics were a nightmare.

I think it's 12 days to make sure all drawns and stitches are removed as it's harder to come back and forth. He told me I could travel sooner as I have a brother in law who is a NP who can help me with the drains and stitches and such.

Extended Tummy Tuck & Breast Lift W/Dr. Sauceda 12/30/2009

(deactivated member)
on 11/11/09 12:08 pm - Haleiwa, HI
I went to Dr Sauceda in Monterrey, and I was there for 9 days even though I was scheduled to stay at least 12.  I stayed in the clinic for 4 days, and then I moved to the hotel for the rest.  After moving to the hotel, a nurse came by everyday to help me get a shower and in to my clean garments.  Dr S also visited the hotel everyday at least once.  I had my aftercare set up with my primary care here in hawaii, but I am still in contact with Dr Sauceda.  I heard and talked to him by google chat everyday until my drains and stitches came out.  If I have any questions or concerns, I email him with my questions or even pictures.

The clinic was very clean, and the nurses were extremely nice.  The hotel is a Hampton Inn, and is also really nice.  I have a ton of info on my blog at www.livingtheskinnylife.blogspot.com if you are interested.  It will give you more info than you probably want!  LOL!

Good luck!

Jessica
ShirleyG
on 11/11/09 7:10 pm - HALFWAY BETWEEN ATLANTA AND BHAM , AL
Kat
I found a wonderful surgeon here in ALa  ,  THey contract with a local motel where out of town folks can stay ,,,noit sure if you pay for that or not but anyway , you have to go back the day after surgery to his office and then the next week then every 10 days or so until stitches are out etc .
He is very skilled and great bedside manner with his patients ,,
He is located in Gadsden Al  .
(deactivated member)
on 11/11/09 9:33 pm
DrL
on 11/12/09 8:28 am - Houston, TX
Katherine,

Most stays are going to be 1 - 2 weeks.  Just had a lady go back to Canada on day 10 after LBL.  It really depends.  Most LBL stays are 1-2 days in the hospital to monitor for bleeding and other immediate issues, administer pain meds and antibiotics, and ensure other "comfort and safety" issues as I call them.

As for followup, PCPs are probably the most common individual I interact with for aftercare. My first is a local PS with whom I have a reciprocal relationship.  

PCPs have limited surgical experience in most cases, and are at times reluctant to drain fluid, manage scars, or do the common things needed after the first month.  Ones from small towns tend to be more willing to "do it all" others are worried about the liability of doing any kind of procedure.

Key is to get them to agree upfront, establish communication with the PS.

Insurance varies widely in coverage of PS complications, so you will want to check this ahead of time.  For $240 (included in most PSs' surgical fee) you can get coverage of just about any issue after PS through Cosmetassure.
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
K-T
on 11/13/09 6:12 am - LA

THANKS to ALL for your input!!!! Ya'll have been very helpful to start my research!!!!!!!!!!!!Katherine

What you eat in private, will show in public!!!
Most Active