How do you position yourself most comfortably after an LBL/thighplasty

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/09 9:28 am - San Jose, CA
So I'm trying to figure out the logistics of how can you lay while recuperating from LBL surgery, including a butt lift and thigh lift, to minimize pain and strain.

Sitting in a recliner seems to be the WORST possibility -- pressure on the butt all the time.  I am going to be in a hotel for a couple of weeks, and I want to plan what I am going to need.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated!
(deactivated member)
on 11/10/09 9:38 am - Haleiwa, HI
Diana,

The only way that I felt remotely comfortable was laying on one of my sides.  My butt hurt the worst out of all of my procedures, and I had the least pain on my sides.  I also would put a really soft pillow under my hip to give me more cushion and didn't prop me up too much.  It was also helpful to put a pillow between my knees while on my side.

Hope that helps and good luck with your surgery!

Jessica
(deactivated member)
on 11/10/09 12:14 pm - San Jose, CA
Side sleeping would be great -- I guess that way you are only laying on ONE incision.  I wonder if there is some miracle foam that prevents pressure points.
(deactivated member)
on 11/10/09 12:18 pm - Haleiwa, HI
That is a good thought! I wonder if one of those memory foam pillows would work.  I also forgot to add that I put a pillow in front of my stomach too to help support me from the front as well.  I think I body pillow would work great for that.

Melissa M.
on 11/10/09 10:51 am - Seabrook, TX

The lift recliner was the most comfortable for me.  I could adjust how much or how little I wanted to recline and find the elevation that I needed.  It also helped lift me up to almost a standing position and I didn't have to sit real low either when I sat back down.  I could have managed fine without it but my sofas practically sink when you sit in them and my bed was way too high.  When I finally did move to my bed I used a stool.  I also used pillows on my back too. The back part of the LBL wasn't bad for me at all.  You will be sore from sitting so long whether you had surgery or not.  I just shifted from cheek to cheek to give my butt a break.  It was annoying but once I started moving and walking more it wasn't bad at all.  I also used a toilet seat riser which helped me a lot.  I didn't have thigh lift so I can't speak to that but just be sure you keep your legs elevated as much as possible.  I also remember other folks posting on here in the past saying that using a freshette was a godsend because they didn't have to sit down when they went to the bathroom.  I don't know if I could use it but some women swear by them.

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/09 12:13 pm - San Jose, CA
I've already bought the freshette!  I should probably practice once or twice before surgery, huh?

I'm going to be staying in a hotel -- I wonder if we should rent a lift recliner.  The hotel HAS recliners in the room, but they are hard as rocks and not easy to move.

Thanks for your input!
Melissa M.
on 11/10/09 12:59 pm - Seabrook, TX
Well if you have someone who will help pull you up the first couple of days it may not be so bad but I'd rather have it and not need it then not have it and need it.  I'm all about making it as easy as possible.  I even had one of those little metal grabber thingies and I loved it.  I kept dropping my cell phone or remote on the floor every time I moved my blanket or got up because I'd forget it was still on my lap. 
(deactivated member)
on 11/10/09 1:12 pm - San Jose, CA
I will be in the hospital the first night, at a care cottage the next 3 or 4 nights, and then in a hotel with my husband.  So I will always have help.
Arkin10
on 11/12/09 12:20 am - TX
I can't speak as a plastic surgery patient but thought I'd throw out that I have a memory foam mattress at home.  Hubby has a bad back and I have hip issues.  After my RNY (lap) I was so grateful for my own, comfortable bed.  That's the wonder of the memory foam material, it molds around you from your body heat and somehow disperses your weight/frame so there are no pressure points.  I was seriously uncomfortable in the hospital bed.  It felt like a brick in comparison to my own despite having plenty of padding on my body.  I can't imagine when you've lost all your extra weight and have far less padding.  Ouch.  If it's feasible for where you're going, you could get one of those memory foam toppers and just put it on the bed you'll be sleeping in.  I wouldn't go with less than 2" thick.  I have a 4" thick one on my pillowtop style memory foam mattress just for extra loft.  It's like sleeping in a cloud.  :o)
wondering
on 11/12/09 1:12 am - Canada
I found the most comfortable position was on my back with a pillow under my knees.  My doc told me not to sit at all so it was either stand or lie.  Almost two weeks out and I'm now able to sit, drains are out, stitches are out and I'm feeling great.
Best of luck.
L.

Most Active