Real fear of weight gain post-op

TammyGirl1
on 11/10/09 12:02 am - Oakley, CA
Like many of us I spent most of my life losing some weight only to eventually see the scale go back in the other direction. After my VSG I happily seen it go down and stay stable for months now. I have to say I must have a transfer addiction to working out becuase I work out alot. I am so afraid that since I will not be able to keep up the workouts post-op (first 6-8 weeks) that I will start to see the scale move back up again (and not because of swelling/fluids post op). I know eventually I will be able to start working out again but the anxiety is terrible.....Anyone else have this fear and how did you tackle these thoughts?
Tammy
TT, BL/BA, Lipo, FG/Booty, and small TLcompleted with DR Sauceda
SW 201 / GW 134 / LW 129 / CW 137.6
http://tammygirlsjourney.blogspot.com/

Laura the Future
Pin-up

on 11/10/09 12:06 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 07/27/07 with
Slow down a bit and get your body used to being a bit more sedentary before your plastics :)
HW: 366, SW: 342, GW: 165, Maintaining at: 185 (No longer tracking weight loss. Pregnant and due May 1, 2011!)

There are two primary choices in life; to accept conditions as they exist, or accept responsibility for changing them.

katiekat412
on 11/10/09 1:13 am
OMG!!! I'm totally you!!! I'm an exercise freakazoid, and even for a WLS person, I should have lost way more for how active I am. I'm not saying I always make the best food choices though.

I've been exercising two hours a day for the last few weeks because I'm HORRIFIED of being sendentary following my surgery on friday. I keep telling people I'm going to turn into an atrophied couch marshmallow.

To be fair though, I am a kickboxing instructor now. It was so hard to say good bye to my class last night :(  I got a little teary. Plus, the enorphins. Not only will they be gone, but I'll be taking pain meds which tend to make me crazy.

Anyway, I know this wasn't helpful, but at least you're not alone. It may not be healthy (although Idon't see why not), but I've been obessive about stregth training lately because I know I'll lose muscle mass while I'm out. Glad to hear I'm not alone!

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

TammyGirl1
on 11/10/09 3:16 am - Oakley, CA
I too am glad I am not alone in this fear! :-)

shscharger
on 11/10/09 1:30 am - MS
VSG on 12/10/07 with
Not sure if this will help either one of you but I can tell you not only did I SLOW down a lot after surgery but my surgeon forced me to up my calories (more like double them ) after surgery because he said my body would need it to recover from so much surgery !!   I did have some swelling but most of it is gone now and I am a little over five weeks out !!

Guess what I am trying to say is your own body is going to be burning a lot of energy just trying to repair itself and the swelling will not last forever !!  And even coming from a guy  -- the results are SO worth a few weeks of recovery !!

And you will be able to move around during that time so it is not like you will be in the bed for 6 - 8 weeks so yall will be fine !!  Just keep thinking of the end results  --- cause they are SO worth the effort !!

Good Luck
Tony
TammyGirl1
on 11/10/09 3:17 am - Oakley, CA
Thank you for your reassurance!

BigCityGirl
on 11/10/09 2:51 am - San Diego, CA
I've gained a few pounds after each round of plastics.  I lost it rather quickly after returning to the gym.  I know the feeling that you hate to pay for the same ground twice, but sometimes it's necessary for a desired outcome.  It comes off easily.  Just get back to basics.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
TammyGirl1
on 11/10/09 3:19 am - Oakley, CA
Good to know that I "should' " lose it rather quickly once I am back up to par..Feeling better about it.
Thanks

Leslie T.
on 11/10/09 9:52 am - Northern, KY
I am right there with you!!!  I do 1 hour of cardio 5-6 times a week, and I know when you take that out of the equation that I am really worried about packing on the pounds.  I received my protein supplements yesterday.  I plan on using lots of protein drinks to get in nutritional value and protein for healing....I just am praying I have the will power and hopefully a lack of appetite while i am down.

I am one who likes to eat when I am bored.  for the past 18 months I just have made myself so busy that i can't be bored...
RNY 5/2008 180 pounds lost from highest weight.   TT and arms done 12/2009
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker
(deactivated member)
on 11/10/09 10:10 pm
Most Active