Panniculectomy and drains

msdi96
on 11/6/09 3:37 am
Need some honest feedback. I am planning on having a panniculectomy in the near future. Have already consulted with 2 PS's and have chosen who to go with. I am looking forward to having this done as my huge pannus is getting in the way of me doing many of the things that I would like. While not at goal, I have lost over 100 pounds and both surgeons felt that it would be advantageous to go ahead and do this portion of the surgery and then come back later for a true TT. My big concern is the drains. I am scared to death to have them come out. I know the discomfort is generally short-lived but this one aspect alone is enough to make me want to run away. Please give me some feedback on what this was like even if you say, it hurt like hell but was over soon. I know all of you have faced this but to me this is the worst part of the surgery. I just must be a true chicken when it comes to this.
MistersMom65
on 11/6/09 3:42 am - TN
I had my TT 15 days ago and my 2 drains(which were in the groove of my groin/thigh) did not bother me to be removed. I really did even FEEL either come oyt & I ALSO was concerned about it!!

BL & Facelift w/Brow & Eyelid      10.08.08
Abdominalplasty Scheduled          10.21.09

cheryl719
on 11/6/09 6:39 am - AMES, IA
The drains are nothing -- plus, by the time you get them out, you're usually just GLAD to have them out.  I had abdominoplasty Jan 2008 -- 4 drains for several weeks, then after all out, developed huge seroma -- had 2 more placed with ultrasound guidance -- ended up with one or more for 26 weeks -- not pleasant, but I survived. 

Scar revision February 2009 -- think I only had 2 drains this time...and don't even remember the removal. 

You will do fine!   Good luck.
(deactivated member)
on 11/6/09 6:03 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
The drains are not so bad.
They are a little annoying dangling off your hip (or wherever the surgeon places them) but they are manageable.  I am a BIG chicken (a wuss!) when it comes to things like having stitches out....the drains being removed were nothing.....piece of cake.  I had worked myself up into a tizzy about getting the drain out after my TT and it turned out the be nothing at all.  You just feel  a slight pull (a little weird but not painful at all).

Don't worry about the drains!

Best wishes with your surgery!
Ruth
KathigME
on 11/6/09 8:39 am, edited 11/6/09 8:50 am - Gorham, ME
The pain from having the drains in is much worse then them coming out. You will be fine!! What my PS did was,  to take one big deep breath in and blow it all out and he pulled them out at as I was blowing out.  It only hurt for about 5 seconds.
Kathi G.  I LOVE MY RNY!!   
(deactivated member)
on 11/6/09 9:42 am
My honest feedback:

The drains are gross, but mine were not painful.  I had them in only during the time I was under sedation for pain, so I do not remember much about it except having them removed (YOWWWWW!!!).  I think mine were wound inside my body, front and back, and possibly around me several times over (kidding!).  It really, REALLY hurt like the dickens to have them removed, but the actual searing pain was less than 30 seconds.  Bad, bad 30 seconds, and then diminishing to absolutely nothing at all by three minutes.  The pain of removal was much worse than any labor pains I've had -- that was four times for a total of 126 hours -- but, it was extremely short lived.

I happen to know because I was compulsive enough to time it.

However -- mine were in for two weeks, and then GONE.  Two weeks after panni-flab-ectomy is really not very long for a lifetime of lean, cool, smooth slenderific elegance.

I really feel that way.

RoylynnW
on 11/6/09 12:48 pm - Bryan, TX
VSG on 06/05/08 with
OK Hi I had a panniculectomy and 30lbs was removed. It was the best thing in my Life i never wore my shirts tucked in Now I Do. The surgery was great no pain. I had the drains for two week and it did not hurt when my Dr removed the drains one was already to coming out. But two months later I had a breast reduction the Dr took 5 lbs off on each side now that son of ***** hurt like hell .  thank god no implants for me  lol lol Would i do it again HELL  YES IN A NEW YORK MINUTE In May 2010 I'm going to do it again I have lost 130 lbs and need it suck and cut off ....... Good Luck If you need to call just ask.     Roy
(deactivated member)
on 11/16/09 11:46 pm - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
First congrats on your weight loss and the removal of your panni....awesome!

Did you have lipo done?  I'm going to have some done on my thighs when I have my surgery in 2 weeks and I'm really worried about swelling.  Just trying to learn from others who have it done already.

Thanks!
Ruth
Most Active